TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack

I was thinking about getting a Thule Roof rack for my 2008 TT. Anybody have any experience with this or another?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Namderd
I was thinking about getting a Thule Roof rack for my 2008 TT. Anybody have any experience with this or another?
There are a whole bunch of different Thule roof racks. Could you be more specific?

Here's my present situation... I bought the Audi cross bars from ECS Tuning. They are normally around $370 but ECS was selling them for $93 plus shipping. The first set I received had too much damage to the plastic bits that go over the ends of the aluminum so I sent 'em back and received a second set that had only one slightly broken plastic bit... good enough for me.

Anyhow I went with the Audi bars as they lock into slots in the door frames, which should make for a very solid fitting. This is important as there is only a 22 inch spread between the two bars. Refer to your manual about the door frame slots which are located under the rubber molding along the upper door frame.

And next I bought Thule 887xt Slipstream kayak cradles. These allow you to secure the kayak to the rack further out near the bulk heads via the rack extensions (the 22 inch spread between the bars is too short for secure kayak/cradle docking). This system also allows for carrying the kayak hull down whereas before with my previous car the kayak was mounted on its side and more subject to cross winds.

In a couple of weeks I'll know how this setup will work. It better work or I'll be stuck buying a beater for hauling my boat.

However I'd guess that you have another app in mind but I'd still suggest the Audi cross bars (which appear to be made by Thule).
Old 03-18-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also went with the Audi rack.

I had originally ordered one from Audi, but that rack looked like it had been through the war, lost, and had been repackaged just for me. Broken plastic parts, missing packaging, the works. Sent that back and next day saw that ECS had the same rack for a good price (ECS didn't have them when I ordered from Audi.) Easy to install, and I knew it would fit.

I had hoped my skis would fit on this one, but alas, no. The bars are just too close together. But my Audi/VW (made by Thule) bike carrier (from my MK-I TT rack system) will still work.

Thanks for the link for the kayak system as I was never too comfortable with the narrow spacing on the previous car.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
...I was never too comfortable with the narrow spacing on the previous car.
Tomorrow I'm mounting the cross bars and will try the 887xt out. I've got a spare tow bolt ($$) so I can secure the bow and stern. I'll fiddle with securing the kayak and see if it's going to be a road worthy setup. It better be. I traded my first kayak for a slightly used RockPool Alaw last August (which I was carrying with an Avant). The RockPool rolls like a dream and even though I've only had it out a few times, I found it remarkably controllable in some rough waters (small craft advisory stuff).

If this setup doesn't cut it, I'll be stuck looking for a second beater vehicle. I'm sure not going to dump the TTS . As much as I liked the way my '09 Avant handled and its overall practicality, the TTS is a total blast.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd love to see some pics of how it looks and fits. I'm sure you can work it all out...no need for beaters with imagination!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I'd love to see some pics of how it looks and fits. I'm sure you can work it all out...no need for beaters with imagination!
Time for an update. The Audi cross bars install pretty easy and lock in with a death grip. However it isn't exactly an aesthetic enhancement. To be more blunt, the bars might function well but it's like putting on your Armani threads but accessorizing yourself from the bargain bin at Big Lots.

Anyhow, looks aside, I then attempted to secure the Thule SlipStream 887xt's to the bars. And it just happens that the Audi bars are so thick vertically that the Thule saddle claps, even with the longer bolts, don't come close to making the reach. Imagine Mini-Me trying to give Andre The Giant a hug. It ain't happening.

In fact the arrangement would appear to suckith mightily. Rather than expressing my inner Rube Goldberg, I believe that I might have to track down a boat hauling beater.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
However it isn't exactly an aesthetic enhancement. To be more blunt, the bars might function well but it's like putting on your Armani threads but accessorizing yourself from the bargain bin at Big Lots.
I will agree that it isn't the pretties solution.

Too bad on the cradle fit issues. I have additions (ski, bike) that slide into the slots so no problems with the big bars. I had used the Thule Hull-a-ports on my previous TT rack...didn't notice if these bars are thicker or not (those were pretty thick too).

Pics with the ski bars. My binding *jus* fit, but my buddy's would never have, so guess my only option would be a ski box....better take him to REI with the racks mounted to make sure everything fits!
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That pic shows clearly the short longitudinal distance between the bars. In your case, it's fine but in my case not so fine. Maybe I can find a decent used Subaru Impreza. That way I can save my TTS from inclement winter weather and find out if Subaru's really due attract man-hating lesbians
Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with OEM Audi racks. Worked fine for my drive across the country.
ECS has them for cheap. Can also see if your local dealer would price match... Mine did.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-TT_MKI...Rack/ES449779/
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Thanks for the support!!

As Always let me know if you have any questions.

Pete
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com

Quick Reply: Roof Rack