TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

is S-Tronic as fun as a Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video

In this video you can see how fast S-tronic change gears:<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMR9SyhQhY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMR9SyhQhY</a</li></ul>
Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends. S-Tronic is faster, but manual allows more nuanced control of the engine (more)....

The S tronic is NOTHING like a conventional (a.k.a, crappy) auto like a Tiptronic. It shifts more quickly than even a manual, and therefore allows the car to get to a desired speed more quickly. It also allows you to keep your hands on the wheel while shifting. This is especially desirable when making an aggressive turn. So the above two examples are more 'fun' with an S tronic IMHO.

However a manual allows you to shift gears with a hell of a lot more finesse. You have infinitely more control of your clutch. There is no modulation of the clutch with S tronic; it's just a switch. A manual also allows you to drop from 6th to 3rd directly. With the S tronic you need to sequentially go through all the gears in-between. This can get annoying. Finally the S tronic will reveal more turbo lag if you go with the 2.0T. This is due to the S-tronic's inability to give you control of engine revving prior to launch. From what I understand European models have a `Launch Control' feature that mimics this, butI haven't experienced it here in NA since it's banned by the US government.

I drive manual and LOVE it, mostly because it's fun to have such control of the engine/transmission.

Nevertheless my next car will have S tronic (either a TT or A5). I think it'll be fun in a more F1 sort of way. The S tronic's speed and directness to the engine is revolutionary for an Auto. And again, having my hands on the wheel while shifting is a really exciting concept.

Even though I'm a bit of a purist, the S-tronic has me moving away from a manual for my next car. It's that good.

And yes, I did test drive one in an A3 recently.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Launch control banned by the US government? I don't think so.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Launch control isn't government-banned . . .

it's more logistically banned by strict US warranty laws, and Audi doesn't want to waste a bunch of money on people burning their transmissions out doing launches all the damn time.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default From what I understood the NHTSA was involved in helping ban Launch Control...

... but I suppose I was wrong. I could have swore that either the National Highway Safety Admin or the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) was involved.

But yeah, I guess it makes sense that it's just another warranty-related deletion.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think SMG cars have launch control enabled.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 PM
jq
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: is S-Tronic as fun as a Manual?

For really fast shifts then yes, and at least you can hold a gear til red line in manual mode. Sport mode is cool but feels like you're abusing the the engine and tranny (just sounds louder to me for some reason).

But coasting with the clutch in and downshifting 2 gears is sorely missed.

As for a dead left foot, just left foot brake =) (practice this with no traffic until your foot knows it's the brake and not the clutch else someone will rear end you!!!)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM
SGP
AudiWorld Member

It's not about how fast you can shift, it's about fahrvergnugen, driving pleasure. The only way I'd consider DSG was if I had to drive in top-and-go traffic all the time, and I don't!

SGP
'08 A4qm and '02 TTqm
ex-'98 A4qm, '90 90qm, '85 4000csqm
Old 11-14-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

the answer is no. every time. (qualifications? drove a stick for almost ten years then leased a BMW with a ZF8 'sport automatic' with paddle shifters...never looked forward to driving it, now i'm back with the manual in my TTRS).

Quick Reply: is S-Tronic as fun as a Manual?