TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire cupping

I have a 09 TTQ. At about 4k miles I noticed that tires making a lot of noise. Went to the dealership and they said the tires were cupping. They said it was probably because I don't monitor the pressure well enough. I do check almost every month. Went back at 8k miles when the noise got louder. They said the same thing. Told me to live with the noise or get new tires. Well I got a nail in the stock run flat and so I am replacing all 4 with michelin's and getting an alignment done. Anyone else have problems with wearing on the inside of the tires? The rear looks like there is a lot of negative camber.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sdf3
I have a 09 TTQ. At about 4k miles I noticed that tires making a lot of noise. Went to the dealership and they said the tires were cupping. They said it was probably because I don't monitor the pressure well enough. I do check almost every month. Went back at 8k miles when the noise got louder. They said the same thing. Told me to live with the noise or get new tires. Well I got a nail in the stock run flat and so I am replacing all 4 with michelin's and getting an alignment done. Anyone else have problems with wearing on the inside of the tires? The rear looks like there is a lot of negative camber.
Do a four wheel alignment check.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, we're having the same problem with our TT. After about 10k miles on new tires, the driver rear started cupping and howling, despite having an alignment done when installing the new tires and rotating them after 5k miles. Now they refuse to rotate it because they say we'll feel the front tire vibrate the steering wheel if they move it to the front. They said "the TT's need to be rotated more frequently than other cars" and told us to just consider the current set (with about 1/3 life remaining) garbage until we can get new tires.

I'm interesting to see what you learn with your car.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I changed out the ContiSport Contact3 OEMs at around 15K miles. Not a great tire. I'm at 34K miles now on a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3s, which have been stellar, and am now ready to replace them. Never had any cupping issues with either tire. I'm pretty religious about pressure and wear, but to this point, I've never needed to rotate. Front to back, side to side, the wear has been remarkably even.

I'm on 19" rims with 255/35-19s.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Plan_Man
I'm at 34K miles now on a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3s, which have been stellar, and am now ready to replace them. Never had any cupping issues with either tire. I'm pretty religious about pressure and wear, but to this point, I've never needed to rotate.
Wait, you haven't rotated once in 34k miles, and they are wearing evenly? That's amazing! I was about to ask how often everyone else rotates their tires.

Did you do an alignment right when you mounted the new tires?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I've encountered tire cupping it was ultimately due to shocks at the end of their life or not up to the tasks...

allowing minute up and down movement with every revolution.

while rotations are important, it only masks the issue from shocks...
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Wait, you haven't rotated once in 34k miles, and they are wearing evenly? That's amazing! I was about to ask how often everyone else rotates their tires.

Did you do an alignment right when you mounted the new tires?
Alignment with every rubber change. Always done that with every car.

Nobody is more amazed than I about the wear pattern. Every time I fill up, I have my little ritual:
1. Note the date and mileage in the little log book I keep in the glove compartment
2. Start the pump
3. Lift the hood, check oil, brake fluid, quick visual on the hoses and belts
4. Walk the four corners for a quick check on the tires for wear and the rotors for anything unusual
5. Shut off the pump and log the fuel

I look at tire pressure about every two weeks. When the F1s were installed, Big O filled them with Nitrogen, gratis. I was skeptical at first, but I haven't had to adjust any tire but the front left, which must have a very tiny leak somewhere.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Every time I've encountered tire cupping it was ultimately due to shocks at the end of their life or not up to the tasks...

allowing minute up and down movement with every revolution.

while rotations are important, it only masks the issue from shocks...
Hmm, I only have 46k miles on the car, so shock failure/wear seems a little premature, doesn't it? I have the standard suspension (not magnetic ride).
Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My tires started cupping at 4,000 miles. The dealership checked everything out and said the suspension was ok. Isn't that early for problems? I checked the tire pressure every month and set it to recommended specs. Picked up the car new with 200 miles on the odo. Minimal tire noise. Then noticed louder noise at 4,000 miles. Now at 13,000 miles and tires very loud and very noticeable wear on the inside edge of tires.

I'm getting a 4 wheel alignment and new tires but I am just asking if this is a common problem with the the stock alignment specs.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tire Cupping

I have a 2005 MkI TT FWD and for the longest time there was no way to align the rear axle. Now they make shims that go in between the hub and axle. Most alignment shops dont even know how to do this as the whole rear wheel assembly must be taken apart and the shims put in. DONT know if the MK II is the same. I know the MkI quatro could be aligned but the FWD couldnt. dont know much about the Mk II . My tires used to cup real bad after about 10,000 to the point where they had to be replaced.

Quick Reply: tire cupping