TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT Mk II Engine/ Car Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Mk II Engine/ Car Shaking

New to the forum here, and created a profile as I’m having a persistent problem with my car. Since I bought the car over a year ago (a manual TT 8J), I’ve had a very noticeable shake in my engine when at idle, which is very visible when looking at the engine, and can be felt when I’m sitting in the car. Brought the car back to the garage, and they replaced the PCV valve, a cracked hose, and all the coils, but it did nothing. Since then, the only things I’ve noticed is that the shaking varies from being quite violent, to barely noticeable. It also doesn’t do it if the car is facing uphill or downhill, and if I start to engage the clutch it can kill the shaking. I was thinking it may be a flywheel, but there’s no noticeable rattling from the transmission, and it drives pretty well at all speeds. Would love a second opinion from someone, as I’d rather not pull out the transmission and find that it’s not the problem
Old 11-02-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year? My thought - engine mount hardware is loose/missing. Did they check that? or for any other loose engine parts?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have recently acquired a 2008 Audi tt from my brother. He was deployed for quiet some time and the car sat the duration in what I would consider poor conditions. I finally convinced him to give me it and while bringing it home I was on the highway going about 40-50 whenever I'd take a corner or turn or hit a bump the car would swerve the opposite way. Was terrifying felt like the car would do a full 360 or something I pulled over and stopped at a near auto zone I was told before from a lady that it was tie rods and she swore up and down about it but I didn't feel that was the case. I assumed either the sway bar, end linkages, or even bushings. I finally got it in the air and was able to get pics. Its looks like the sway bar end links are shot. Please help me locate this issue if you see one.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing to do is start your own thread instead of hijacking other members threads....
Old 12-22-2018, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Best thing to do is start your own thread instead of hijacking other members threads....
well you see I'm new to the forums and barely know anything about it. I assumed this was forums specifically for "car shaking" so anyone with those issues would post here