TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT-RS future value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TT-RS future value?

Dear all,
I am on the verge of purchasing a TT-RS. I am wondering if this particular model will go down the same direction as the RS4 (low miles examples still commanding 35K or so) or will become an RS6 (no value, probably due to its complexity). I am trying to find a car that will keep value in the long run (2-4 years of ownership). I am also considering a 911 C4S 997 or a Corvette Z06 C6.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know around here in So Cal that the TT-RS is pretty rare and also very desirable. I mean, who really wouldn't want one??? The thing about value depends on the particular car. Do you value a cool car that has been tuned and modded and driven hard? I know I don't. The great thing about the performance oriented TT-RS is that most owners leave them factory because they are pleasing to drive that way. That being said, I think you will find good reason investing in any of the premium vehicles you are considering. Good luck and let us know when you pull the trigger!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Most folks would not consider 2-4 years a "long run" hold. In general the value of a TTRS has held well in recent years and I would expect that to continue. It was a great bang for the buck when released and got rave reviews. In the Car & Driver Lightning Lap tests it outperformed many more expensive Porsches and was virtually the equal of a base R8. It is a great daily driver and the last TT to be sold with a manual tranny in the US. It is the only coupe I've ever considered buying in the past 20 years, being a diehard roadster fan.

That said, your question had too many variables. Residual value in 2-4 years depends on the price you pay and how many miles you add. The first key is to shop nationally so you don't overpay. All TTs are scarce cars and you need to search nationally to get the best deal. I do this every few months on the internet for fun. Relatively low mileage TTRS (under 30K) have been selling in the low 40s for some time. Cars.com has 2 CPOs listed for $45K.

As a point of reference on price, if you were patient, you could find a low mileage used TT for the mid40s from non-Audi dealers in 2014. Audi dealers were asking mid-50s during that same time because they were trying to prop up the price of the new TTRS still on the lot. There were still new TTRS for sale in the US in 2014 that had been sitting on the lot for over a year because Audi overproduced them. Keep in mind that TT sales in the US were averaging about 2000 a year and Audi made more than the originally projected total of 600 TTRS.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by orys
Dear all,
I am on the verge of purchasing a TT-RS. I am wondering if this particular model will go down the same direction as the RS4 (low miles examples still commanding 35K or so) or will become an RS6 (no value, probably due to its complexity). I am trying to find a car that will keep value in the long run (2-4 years of ownership). I am also considering a 911 C4S 997 or a Corvette Z06 C6.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Most folks would not consider 2-4 years a "long run" hold. In general the value of a TTRS has held well in recent years and I would expect that to continue. It was a great bang for the buck when released and got rave reviews. In the Car & Driver Lightning Lap tests it outperformed many more expensive Porsches and was virtually the equal of a base R8. It is a great daily driver and the last TT to be sold with a manual tranny in the US. It is the only coupe I've ever considered buying in the past 20 years, being a diehard roadster fan.

That said, your question had too many variables. Residual value in 2-4 years depends on the price you pay and how many miles you add. The first key is to shop nationally so you don't overpay. All TTs are scarce cars and you need to search nationally to get the best deal. I do this every few months on the internet for fun. Relatively low mileage TTRS (under 30K) have been selling in the low 40s for some time. Cars.com has 2 CPOs listed for $45K.

As a point of reference on price, if you were patient, you could find a low mileage used TT for the mid40s from non-Audi dealers in 2014. Audi dealers were asking mid-50s during that same time because they were trying to prop up the price of the new TTRS still on the lot. There were still new TTRS for sale in the US in 2014 that had been sitting on the lot for over a year because Audi overproduced them. Keep in mind that TT sales in the US were averaging about 2000 a year and Audi made more than the originally projected total of 600 TTRS.
Thanks for the great reply. I will drive an average of 4K per year. The car currently has 25K miles and is not CPOd. I can get it for low 40s. It's in impeccable shape.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Sounds like a winner

Originally Posted by orys
Thanks for the great reply. I will drive an average of 4K per year. The car currently has 25K miles and is not CPOd. I can get it for low 40s. It's in impeccable shape.
At 4K/year the car should retain its value. Personally, I would look into the 2 CPOs which would likely accept an offer in the low 40s and you get a "free" warranty on a car certified mechanically and would therefore be a better deal.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
At 4K/year the car should retain its value. Personally, I would look into the 2 CPOs which would likely accept an offer in the low 40s and you get a "free" warranty on a car certified mechanically and would therefore be a better deal.
thanks! I looked and can't find any CPO cars...