TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTRS steering wheen vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a similar issue in my base model TT which I discovered to be the swaybar end links due to my car being lowered. I'm not sure if that will help but it could be something to check out
Old 08-12-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just fixed this on my 2010 TTS after multiple visits to the Tire Shop, re-balancing, test driving, nothing worked. Finally Technician in the Alignment Shop found my problem! He discovered there were old dirty plastic Centric Rings on the hubs which had disintegrated over time preventing the wheels from staying perfectly centered. After we installed some new aluminum rings from ECS Tuning my TTS rides like a whole new car! I was surprised to find OEM wheels needed these, I used a digital micrometer to measure the hub outer diameter and rim inner diameter to make sure I ordered the exact size required by my TTS. The old plastic rings were so dirty they looked like part of the hub, but close inspection revealed the plastic rings. The technician said several car makers have used Centric Rings on various makes and models.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-taper-pr.../c6655710alkt/
The following users liked this post:
Bradrulz (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Willyzzz
Changed my discs to OEM (almost worn, I have 1mm left on the discs).

The vibration is still there...
Any luck, yet?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:00 AM
KnoxvilleDriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update here? I have the exact same problem with a 2014 TT. Upgraded the wheels, tires, brake system for track driving and I have a road vibration between 80MPH and 90MPH exactly. Lower than 80 - no problem. Higher than 90 - no problem.

On the track, the vibration seems far less pronounced. I believe this is due to the increased smoothness of track asphalt v. normal road asphalt or concrete.

I am close to changing the suspension and plan to have an alignment done and the wheels re-balanced, afterwards. I will check then.
The following users liked this post:
kevinh_miataTTS (11-10-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by guardian7
I just fixed this on my 2010 TTS after multiple visits to the Tire Shop, re-balancing, test driving, nothing worked. Finally Technician in the Alignment Shop found my problem! He discovered there were old dirty plastic Centric Rings on the hubs which had disintegrated over time preventing the wheels from staying perfectly centered. After we installed some new aluminum rings from ECS Tuning my TTS rides like a whole new car! I was surprised to find OEM wheels needed these, I used a digital micrometer to measure the hub outer diameter and rim inner diameter to make sure I ordered the exact size required by my TTS. The old plastic rings were so dirty they looked like part of the hub, but close inspection revealed the plastic rings. The technician said several car makers have used Centric Rings on various makes and models.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-taper-pr.../c6655710alkt/
Wow. You needed this for stock wheels on a TTS?

Is it possible it was just the presence of a dirty, malfunctioning plastic ring from before?

Last edited by pgeorgan; 07-28-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Willyzzz
Changed my discs to OEM (almost worn, I have 1mm left on the discs).

The vibration is still there...
I know it's been some time, but am still curious what (if any) the resolution was.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2013 TT RS. New rotors, new tires, new pads, shimmy at 130 km/h.
ECS doesn't have the rings for that car. Does any know if my car has them?
Thanks
Old 08-17-2020, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pgeorgan
Wow. You needed this for stock wheels on a TTS?

Is it possible it was just the presence of a dirty, malfunctioning plastic ring from before?
No, you don't.. those are only for aftermarket wheels that don't have the 57.1 hub
Old 08-17-2020, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pgeorgan
100% changing brake discs can cause this. In particular, if the job is done incorrectly, the rotors can warp very quickly. How so? If the wheel hubs aren't cleaned out correctly, rust can get in-between the pads and discs (causing poor seating, resulting in vibration during braking and even when not braking). What else can cause this? If they over-torqued your wheels upon completing the installation. This, too, can warp your new discs.

How do I know this? Because it's exactly what happened to me. I had shimmying at highway speeds as well as during hard braking. New front rotors installed at dealer, problem was mostly gone (sorta). Not too long after, it came right back. Took it to another dealer and they discovered wheels torqued at 200 ft-bls. Supposed to be 120 for TTRS. Reinstalled 2nd set of new rotors in the front and this resolved the issues (mostly, as there were some other residual issues from other problems I was having, but that's a another lengthy story).

TL;DR - poorly installed rotors and overtorqued wheels can warp new rotors, resulting in vibration during braking and even during regular driving. My car is totally stock.
I've never heard of warped brake rotors causing vibration only at a particular speed and when you're not applying the brake.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The Yeoman
I've never heard of warped brake rotors causing vibration only at a particular speed and when you're not applying the brake.
Well, that was my experience.

It's possible some other variable was changed through happenstance during the installation, perhaps one that was not shared with me by the dealership, as Audi is wont to do.

Quick Reply: TTRS steering wheen vibration