TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Wiring harness problem?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring harness problem?

I have a 2008 V6 TT with a stick. All of a sudden, while driving in the cold, a series of problems popped up. They include
- a report that one of the right side driving lights is out (it is not)
- the hood now shows as open/un-latched (it is not)
- the fan comes on as soon as the car is started even in below freezing temperatures
- the windshield wipers do not function for a while after the car starts
- the red ABS light is on now

This all happened very suddenly, and most of the "problems" are phantoms. Makes me think that a connector somewhere has failed. It is hard to see how the wiring harness could have failed in all of these places at once.

Do any of you know enough about the wiring to see a pattern that would be useful to me?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Turns out that something mysteriously destroyed a bunch of wires just below the right headlight. Connectors were broken and wires were stripped and cut. Nothing else appears to be missing or broken. Very very strange. The good news is that it can be fixed fairly easily.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow. I was going to suggest you check for mice. I have had them in my car and TWICE they chewed the top off the fuel sensor on top of the gas tank (nice dark mousey place under the back seat). Not an inexpensive fix and lets gas into the cabin. After the second time I set traps. So far I have caught another of the wee beasties and hope this will mitigate any further issues. But vandalism is by far worse.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I doubt that it was vandalism. The tech had never seen anything like it, nor had I. It was as if the wiring harness was grabbed by the belts (which are perhaps 4-6 inches away). Perhaps a tie down failed and the wires started to flop around.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jon_bondy
I doubt that it was vandalism. The tech had never seen anything like it, nor had I. It was as if the wiring harness was grabbed by the belts (which are perhaps 4-6 inches away). Perhaps a tie down failed and the wires started to flop around.
Much better answer. Glad it is an easy fix. Wiring voodoo is such a pain to figure out sometimes. Another car in our family is a Cayman and it also had mouse issues. The Germans must use tasty wiring ;-)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in the country, and rodent nests in the engine compartment are not unusual. I was told to put dryer sheets in the engine compartment, because the chemicals in them are unpleasant to rodents. Not sure whether they are working or I am just lucky, but no rodent nests after I did that.