TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2016 TT - seats coming apart!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 TT - seats coming apart!

this morning i noticed the plastic trim on the outer side of each front seat came apart from the seat. i can kind of stick it back but it is not very stable. anyone else experiencing this? I have an appt with audi to get it looked at.

i have no idea why it happened at both seats and just over the night. best i can think of is it's been the first cool night here in a very long time. still.. seems odd.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is three pages of discussion on it ! There is a Technical Service Bulletin on the trim. Good luck with your dealer.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...c-bit-2904437/
Old 11-08-2016, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Worldwide issue with a lot of unhappy owners I am afraid.
Audi is historically slow to fix these kinds of issues.
It is unclear whether or not cars coming of the line today will be any better on this issue.

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - TTS seat problem
Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
It is unclear whether or not cars coming of the line today will be any better on this issue.[/url]
Fingers crossed on that one. I do wonder if the problem has something to do with the inflatable side bolsters. Seems rather strange that they can't manufacture a pin that works.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The bolsters don't inflate near the problem trim pieces so I don't believe related.

Btw: my now year old TTS has no issues with the seat trim. It may have been related to sub-assembly vendor value engineering for a certain duration that was post my early build and has now again been rectified. Here's hoping.

Originally Posted by Tailwagger
Fingers crossed on that one. I do wonder if the problem has something to do with the inflatable side bolsters. Seems rather strange that they can't manufacture a pin that works.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely not the inflatable side bolsters. I don't have them and yet the whole length of my seat trim is coming apart (not just at the headrest). They messed up the first attempt to repair. Hopefully they get it right the next time. ☹
Old 11-11-2016, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

For a manufacturer who is often, and usually deservedly, lauded for exceptional interiors that is a shocking defect Fun101. I'm sure in time it will be corrected but I can appreciate your frustration!

I have a bit of an obsession with Zaino Leather in a Bottle and have coated/re-coated my seats many times already. I wonder if this has helped avoid the detachment in my case by softening the leather a little? Just an idle thought.

Zaino Store : Z-10 Leather in a Bottle
Old 11-11-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

To be fair, I suspect they caused this secondary separation after their first attempt to fix the trim. Perhaps they didn't reassemble the seat adequately since it was coming back to them anyway. Once learning of the trim defect I have also been careful not to use the seat for leverage getting in and out of the car. Although another TT owner had his passenger side pop without ever having a passenger. So I guess it is what it is, a true manufacture defect. The frustrating part is the fact that so many are popping and yet we're all waiting for parts from Germany. Jeez...it's pretty common, get some stock already. Hopefully the new clips will hold a bit stronger than Lego!
Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI had my 2017 TTS for about 2 months now and I just noticed the top passenger outer trim has come away.

So issue isn't fixed in 2017 models.

Has anyone had theirs successfully repair?
Is there any actual repair for it from the dealership or do they just put on a new one and hope it fixes it?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lain
FYI had my 2017 TTS for about 2 months now and I just noticed the top passenger outer trim has come away.

So issue isn't fixed in 2017 models.
Indeed, I've noted this in the TT UK forum where its seems to remain an ongoing issue. Certainly it is an annoying problem that appears to effect a lot of cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 TT - seats coming apart!