TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2016 TT - seats coming apart!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The perpetual seat thread....

Just this morning I saw that my photo was reposted on the 7th and on my way to work I looked in the rear view mirror and spotted another clip popped. A bad omen perhaps? Uuuuggghh - I am not looking forward to going back down this road.

So after reviewing the thread, I see a new TSB# noted. Does anyone know if that's the same in Canada? When I first did the seat they would not do all four clips. Does this number outline that it's 4 clips? Also where did we land on air bags? Are they really replacing airbags or was that bolsters (I don't have them).

24,000km service was already scheduled for next week. I might as well have them wait until parts arrive.

(sigh)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fun101
The perpetual seat thread....

Just this morning I saw that my photo was reposted on the 7th and on my way to work I looked in the rear view mirror and spotted another clip popped. A bad omen perhaps? Uuuuggghh - I am not looking forward to going back down this road.

(sigh)
Wow on reaching 24k already !

That sucks about the seats. I can't remember how many tries it's been at the dealer for you. My clips are still holding up after two tries at getting them repaired (done around a month or two before yours last year?)

Yeah, it sounds like there might be a new(er) and improved part.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had my driver's seat done.

If I had to do it again, I would take masking tape and tape up the plastic around the door frame, the bottom in particular, before taking it in. They take the seat out and well... They aren't as **** as I am about these things.

I'll let you know how it all holds up.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Sadly.....after about 3 months the "new and improved" seat trim has broken both the upper clips in the headrest area. I guess I'll talk to the dealer and see if Audi hasn't anything updated to install, otherwise it's pointless to replace them again just to have the bust again. Thankfully it's not very noticeable, and I can't even tell when I'm in the driver's seat. What I don't understand is these exact seats are used in other cars, and do they have this problem?!?!? Such a odd problem with a long-running inability to fix. Seems simple enough....make the clips twice as strong!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

And yet some of us (most of us?) have no problems with this at all. Very strange.

It could be that at a point the seat vendor "value engineered" the clips and related. I understand and yet detest [ultimately lack of -] value engineering!

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Sadly.....after about 3 months the "new and improved" seat trim has broken both the upper clips in the headrest area. I guess I'll talk to the dealer and see if Audi hasn't anything updated to install, otherwise it's pointless to replace them again just to have the bust again. Thankfully it's not very noticeable, and I can't even tell when I'm in the driver's seat. What I don't understand is these exact seats are used in other cars, and do they have this problem?!?!? Such a odd problem with a long-running inability to fix. Seems simple enough....make the clips twice as strong!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: after the dealership fixed the seats for the 2nd time, they are now getting undone AGAIN and both of them (driver AND passenger). What is going on? You know, I'd be making fun of any cheap Chinese cars for falling apart this way, as it would be expected but from Audi? what the hell?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by x130844
Update: after the dealership fixed the seats for the 2nd time, they are now getting undone AGAIN and both of them (driver AND passenger). What is going on? You know, I'd be making fun of any cheap Chinese cars for falling apart this way, as it would be expected but from Audi? what the hell?
Welcome to my world. Two visits to fix clip #1 (poor workmanship to boot), now clip #2 popped and they need "a day and a half" to fix it (and they won't go ahead and pro-actively replace the other clips).
Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed I was a victim of this.

It's been pretty hot lately and today was the first time I noticed it. It's happening on both driver and passenger side.

The dealership already knew there was a TSB when I called.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
What I don't understand is these exact seats are used in other cars, and do they have this problem?!?!?
I wonder if those other cars have the airbag built into the seat like ours. That would explain why the clips need to allow for them to pop open in the event of an airbag having to deploy.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I may have appeared smug on this subject to date and now the Fates are paying me back. Not a large passenger seat separation but I'm sure it won't get any better over time so will start the process at my 15k service in early November. Damn!!
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 TT - seats coming apart!