TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TT RS Exhaust Differences?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT RS Sport exhaust

Originally Posted by McTTRS
I am sure you are right but there is something that I do not understand. I have always believed that:
1. increased sound = reduced back pressure
2. reduced back pressure = increased (perhaps very small) power

So which of these two equations is not true and are your conclusions perhaps based on dyne (butt or otherwise) tests?
I have Parts Link 24 that Audi has supplied to me. There are are two exhausts shown for the TT RS. 8S0 253 181AD is the exhaust that my TT RS with the 0P6 Sport exhaust options has, option code PR-0P6 in Parts Link 24. The other exhaust is 8S0 253 181T, option code PR-0P0.

I don't think there is a performance gain, but there is a sound difference between the two. I'll email Stephan Reil when he gets back in and clarify the difference.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread is one of the most interesting topics period.
I'm not sure that I really have read if or if not there is any actual gain H/P wise other than the Sport exhaust is simply LOUDER.
I'm with the poster that said part of the lure of the RS is the 5-cylinder and it's sound especially under POWER.
That being said and adding to that the Sport exhaust to further add to that Awesome sound I'm in.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 AM
TT fan

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

sorry for reopening a 4-year old discussion, but can somebody confirm there are physical/mechanical differences between the Sport and the std exhaust, other than its black coating?

Last edited by kevin#34; 05-11-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:30 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin#34
sorry for reopening a 4-year old discussion, but can somebody confirm there are physical/mechanical differences between the Sport and the std exhaust, other than its black coating?
Before I bought my pre-owned 2018 TTRS I test drove one with a sports exhaust and one without. I found the sound was identical so I ended up buying the one without the sport exhaust as this particular TTRS had only 3636 kms. What a deal. Totally happy with it😊
Old 02-12-2024, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for reopening -

I did hear the following and would love to be directed to more definitive facts about the sport exhaust on a 2018 TT RS: There is a change in the exhaust valving (to add the switch) and there are also no secondary cats on it either. Is that right?

My car (a 2018 TT RS) has no secondary cats (in the midpipes) and the pipes themselves look like they have been there a while and don't look shiny (I think most aftermarket pipes use stainless steel) so this leads me to believe the comment I heard separately on a Youtube video that the sports exhaust option (at least in 2018) deleted the secondary cats in the midpipes.

Regardless, deleting the secondary cats as part of the move to straight-through mid-pipes is a great upgrade in terms of losing some weight, gaining a few HP, and a healthier exhaust note. BTW, there is no CEL and no emissions issues as a result of the de-catting in my State (does do and enforces regular emissions testing), which suggests that the primary cat on it (housed in the downpipe) is sufficient.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

The sport exhaust is an electro mechanical system that is comprised of a button and 2 electrically controlled solenoids on either side of the muffler that when open allows the exhaust gases in sport to avoid a portion of the muffler. Some after market cat backs line Switch Path offer a design that involves a single solenoid while the more expensive ones have 2 solenoids (one on either side) like OEM. I have and like the Millteck without resonators and while kninda loud, it a good loud - lots of burbles.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, that info is all well known - the operative point I raised is whether US US-bound 2018 TT RS's with Sport Exhaust option deleted the secondary cats? See pic

In 2019, not only did Audi do the FL but also played around with the exhaust system in terms of particulate filters and perhaps other things like leaving the secondary cats in place on 2019 and later models with sport exhaust.

These are all questions as the pics on my car clearly show no secondary cats and unlikely midpipe mod (since they are not shiny stainless steel).

Old 02-13-2024, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by paisk01
Thanks for reopening -

I did hear the following and would love to be directed to more definitive facts about the sport exhaust on a 2018 TT RS: There is a change in the exhaust valving (to add the switch) and there are also no secondary cats on it either. Is that right?

My car (a 2018 TT RS) has no secondary cats (in the midpipes) and the pipes themselves look like they have been there a while and don't look shiny (I think most aftermarket pipes use stainless steel) so this leads me to believe the comment I heard separately on a Youtube video that the sports exhaust option (at least in 2018) deleted the secondary cats in the midpipes.

Regardless, deleting the secondary cats as part of the move to straight-through mid-pipes is a great upgrade in terms of losing some weight, gaining a few HP, and a healthier exhaust note. BTW, there is no CEL and no emissions issues as a result of the de-catting in my State (does do and enforces regular emissions testing), which suggests that the primary cat on it (housed in the downpipe) is sufficient.
My 2018 TT RS I believe came with secondary cats on the mid pipes. I changed my mid pipes out. I think it could be a state to state thing ... I'm in Canada.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I looked at the various aftermarket suppliers and don't think these pipes (if they are after-market) are either Unitronic or CTS Turbo as both of them have clear logo markings on the pipes. They could be Milltek or 034 but I have to get under and inspect them further to determine that.

Also, I read elsewhere that the aftermarket tends to use 300 series stainless steel that, while it can turn a brownish color does not corrode and you can't put a magnet to it. And, OEM pipes tend to use 400 series, which does corrode to some degree and will hold a magnet. So, I will do the magnet test and find out at least what material is here.

This car only has about 23K miles on it and was driven in Michigan so was subject to the wintery conditions up there but its tuning all was done during 2022.