TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Google Maps / Send to Car stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Google Maps / Send to Car stopped working

Ever since I bought by car, on my computer I used Google Maps "Send to Car" to populate addresses in the Audi Navigation MMI.

It recently stopped working. Any idea how to fix it?

I tried making a new "car" connection in google, but its not working.

At https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
when I go to ADD CAR it asks for "Manufacturer Account or ID".
For that it says "To find your ID, sign in to your car manufacturer’s website."

That's kind of vague. Do you know what ID I am supposed to use?

I tried both my vehicle PIN #, and SIM #, and neither work.

The only reason I can figure out for this to stop functioning is that I recently logged into MyAudi.
I might have changed something that cause this to stop working. But I am looking all over MyAudi and I can't find what it might be.

Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's currently broken. Google broke something. It isn't working for anybody at the moment as far as I know, even other car brands, so it's not related to Audi, either. I don't use it much anymore and didn't notice until somebody else started a similar thread and I can confirm it no longer works for me, either. I generally use my phone and MMI connect app to send destinations to the car, which still works fine. On the iPhone at least it's also much better, because I can share locations from individual apps like Google Maps, Yelp, Apple Maps etc. directly to the car via the iOS share functionality.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's currently broken. Google broke something. It isn't working for anybody at the moment as far as I know, even other car brands, so it's not related to Audi, either. I don't use it much anymore and didn't notice until somebody else started a similar thread and I can confirm it no longer works for me, either. I generally use my phone and MMI connect app to send destinations to the car, which still works fine. On the iPhone at least it's also much better, because I can share locations from individual apps like Google Maps, Yelp, Apple Maps etc. directly to the car via the iOS share functionality.
Thanks for the info! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.
I can still you the MMI Connect app and send the locations to the car.

It's just convenient if you a researching something on the computer, and have the location right there, to send it over directly.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by maximumdownforce

It's just convenient if you a researching something on the computer, and have the location right there, to send it over directly.
If you are using the computer, you can always use MyAudi.com to enter addresses.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by maximumdownforce

In the meantime you can always send the location to your phone and then from the phone to the car. It's one extra step, but works as a workaround until Google sorts it out.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't take "connected features" like this seriously at all when I see them in new cars, because they tend to break after a year. Apple and Google are constantly updating their products, but your infotainment is almost never updated, so stuff just stops working. Auto makers are going to have to get behind an over the air software update model sooner than later and actually maintain their connected software products...