TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS - first 500 mile review - Ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS - first 500 mile review - Ride quality

I'm the new owner of a Daytona Gray with rotor gray Nappa 2016 TTS. I trolled and researched these forum for some time, so first thank you for all those your contributions here. In return, I hope these posts help future owners, or prespective owners.

Ride - Many articles/comments wrote of a jarring rough ride. This was my number one concern for me. This would be my daily driver in and out of NYC from nortern New Jersey, where the road are generally terrible. Especially in the spring are the winter has taken its toll. Two hours a day, my car is an important part of preservation of sanity. Cool looks, and style wear thin really fast if you are gritting your teeth jn hour plus sessions . Most articles were based on 20 inch wheel equipped cars. Given the mere rubber bands around those wheels, I would have been surprised if it was not jarring. In response I looked for a car with the 19 inch wheels, and ultimately planned on getting lightweight 18's with sticky rubber for the summer in any case. Much to my pleasant surprise, the ride was excellent even with the 19s. Absorbing most every bump seemlessly. Only disconcerting factor was the crashing noise in the rear suspension. Researching, I realized that a TSB existed to "solve" the issue. So off to the dealer in the first week to have it taken caren of, and two other TSBs (I'll explain later).. While she was in the dealer, I ordered a set of VMR 18x8.5 et45 V810s in gunmetal mounted with 255/40 MSS 4s tires. Back from the dealer, with the tires and wheels mounted I started my first 500 miles in 75 mile round trip chunks to work. In a word the result is Brilliant. Coming from a 2013 S4 with 19 inch factory rims and MSS, and a 2008 SLK55 with 18 MSS, the ride was far more compliant, and controlled. Absorbing everything save the potholes that an offroader would have difficult with. Noise thru the suspension is extremely low, and the ability to absorb minor imperfections is the best I have riden. I could not imagine a better ride in a sporty coupe. So if you are every considing a TTS, and we're concerned with the ride, get the TSB done, and a lightweight set of 18 wheels and sticky Michelin Super Sport 4S wrapping them, and you will be very very happy! Responsiveness is excellent. turn in is fast, and we'll composed. Suspension travel is long and not floaty. I generally keep suspension in auto, with everything else set to dynamic. I haven't try her at an autocross or track day, but it might be worth trying on a wet day where I can't otherwise drive (Cobra is topless). In any case she is for the street, and will likely stay that way. So don't fear the ride, just configure appropriately!

next - virtual dash and interior
Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post. I just got my TTS in white with red interior last week!

I plan on getting some 18x8.5 wheels with all seasons in 255/40 for winter. I actually plan on running them from late October to late April every year.

Can you post some pics of your car with the V810s?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wet and covered in pollen, but you get the general look of the V810s. Lowkey/stealthy. Proper audi centercaps are still coming.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That looks great man! So much more low key than the black-optics 20s. That sidewall looks taller than 40 but maybe that's because i've been looking at so many pictures of wheels/tires lately

I'm going to go with a similar if not the exact same configuration for an extended winter setup. I'm in Cleveland so we have similar winters. If I can figure out something that looks good I'll have them on from October to April for the next 3 years.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Are you selling your stock 19s? I'd be very interested.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 19 inch wheels

Originally Posted by RoccoTheFunnyMan
Are you selling your stock 19s? I'd be very interested.
Maybe.... They have Pirelli Snowsports. Ping me
Old 05-22-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vnarma
I realized that a TSB existed to "solve" the issue.
What exactly is the TSB for and what did the dealer do? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Maybe.... They have Pirelli Snowsports. Ping me
PM SENT
Old 05-28-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wet and covered in pollen, but you get the general look of the V810s. Lowkey/stealthy. Proper audi centercaps are still coming.
cool wheels. very nice with this color. man these cars are head turners. I can't go anywhere without someone pointing or I find someone standing near my car looking at it.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Still interested in your stock wheels if you've still got them - sent you a PM

Quick Reply: TTS - first 500 mile review - Ride quality