TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TT w/stage 1 tune vs TTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More details on the race chip please? I've never heard of it...
Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Intensionally passed on the TTS for a special-order TT with the Design Select Package and after 5,000 miles added an APR Stage 1 tune. OMG. I couldn't be happier, and the numbers clearly show it will outpace a TTS until you get well into triple digit speeds. Reliability of the product in Stage 1 is well documented, but yes there are warranty concerns only you can decide are a deterrent to you. I've never tuned a car, but looking at the TT/TTS engine and transmission sharing almost all parts I was not concerned with the tune. The performance is incredible, I can absolutely obliterate my friend's S3 on the street or on the track. Up side is the ride (while not as performance-oriented as the TTS) is notably better than the TTS and seriously....you have to be a die hard track nut to say the base TT suspension is not pretty on-point, even on track. In over 10,000 miles I have averaged over 29.7 MPG with the tune as well...think of that!!! A car that will clear 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds AND gets 30 mpg consistently. Im sorry, but the "S" has some cool stuff on and looks a little tougher but not anywhere near the 10K premium, and the turbo lag is not that fun in slower-speed driving around time. I couldn't be happier with my "base" TT!
Old 12-03-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I intentionally passed on the TT with a tune for a TTS because ....

My Stasis/APR tuned A5 thereafter wouldn't connect with my state's [admittedly antiquated] annual inspection equipment and so I had to have it removed to pass same, which at the time meant re-shipping the ECU. Prior to that I also had to have the tune redone when a sport exhaust was subsequently added, so best to do any planned intake/exhaust upgrades prior to a tune.

I suspect my issue(s) was a very rare occurrence but do check with area owner's, e.g. via Audi Club NA, to ensure there are no concerns before you proceed.

The tune itself was amazing however. Really woke up the car and I'm sure even more so in the TT. So I concur that a tuned TT is a good way to go.

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Intensionally passed on the TTS for a special-order TT with the Design Select Package and after 5,000 miles added an APR Stage 1 tune. OMG. I couldn't be happier, and the numbers clearly show it will outpace a TTS until you get well into triple digit speeds. Reliability of the product in Stage 1 is well documented, but yes there are warranty concerns only you can decide are a deterrent to you. I've never tuned a car, but looking at the TT/TTS engine and transmission sharing almost all parts I was not concerned with the tune. The performance is incredible, I can absolutely obliterate my friend's S3 on the street or on the track. Up side is the ride (while not as performance-oriented as the TTS) is notably better than the TTS and seriously....you have to be a die hard track nut to say the base TT suspension is not pretty on-point, even on track. In over 10,000 miles I have averaged over 29.7 MPG with the tune as well...think of that!!! A car that will clear 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds AND gets 30 mpg consistently. Im sorry, but the "S" has some cool stuff on and looks a little tougher but not anywhere near the 10K premium, and the turbo lag is not that fun in slower-speed driving around time. I couldn't be happier with my "base" TT!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made the leap from '13 GTI to '16 TTS(11k miles under$45K). Enjoying it for sure. It is fun, sticks to the ground, as someone mentioned earlier the suspension is stiff. I would love a bit more power though. I am in Chicago area, got a separate 18 inch Winter wheel/tire setup, did not put them on yet. I live in Naperville, if you want come check it out.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16' TTS
I just made the leap from '13 GTI to '16 TTS(11k miles under$45K). Enjoying it for sure. It is fun, sticks to the ground, as someone mentioned earlier the suspension is stiff. I would love a bit more power though. I am in Chicago area, got a separate 18 inch Winter wheel/tire setup, did not put them on yet. I live in Naperville, if you want come check it out.
Hows the suspension feel on our wonderfully kept Cook County roads.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
... a special-order TT with the Design Select Package
Design select is rare! Where are the pictures ?!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by -Yeti-
Hows the suspension feel on our wonderfully kept Cook County roads.
Its a pain in the ...
Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TT is a great car, TTs is a even better car, and the TTrs is the best

honestly, you cant go wrong with either of the 3. they all both "look" mostly the same, each can adapt to performance tunes very well ( tt can b as fast as a tts, tts can b as fast as a ttrs, ttrs can b as fast as a...? ).

if you want to keep the car stock, the tts is a great middle ground. if you are into modding the fck out of your car, you can pick up a TT and do all the bolt ons and tunes.

no joke, the reason I went for the TTs is soley because of the.........red sport bucket seats. without those, I wouldn't have even considered the TT platform

good luck on your future purchase. luckily for you, the TT platform has been taking a huge plunge in resale value so im sure you can grab either a TT or TTs for cheap.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
TT is a great car, TTs is a even better car, and the TTrs is the best

honestly, you cant go wrong with either of the 3. they all both "look" mostly the same, each can adapt to performance tunes very well ( tt can b as fast as a tts, tts can b as fast as a ttrs, ttrs can b as fast as a...? ).

if you want to keep the car stock, the tts is a great middle ground. if you are into modding the fck out of your car, you can pick up a TT and do all the bolt ons and tunes.

no joke, the reason I went for the TTs is soley because of the.........red sport bucket seats. without those, I wouldn't have even considered the TT platform

good luck on your future purchase. luckily for you, the TT platform has been taking a huge plunge in resale value so im sure you can grab either a TT or TTs for cheap.
Yeah, i'm still undecided on a TT or TTs. I kind of want a TTs for both the added street cred (lol) and the boost in power. The TT has the same engine and power as my GTI. Why spend a bunch more money and not get anything in return? Personally, i'm not a fan of the red seats, but my purchase will definitely have the S Sport seats with alcantara.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Yeti-
Yeah, i'm still undecided on a TT or TTs. I kind of want a TTs for both the added street cred (lol) and the boost in power. The TT has the same engine and power as my GTI. Why spend a bunch more money and not get anything in return? Personally, i'm not a fan of the red seats, but my purchase will definitely have the S Sport seats with alcantara.
So, I picked up a '16 TT leftover. Got it for $11k off sticker. I immediately went APR Stage 1, and 2 months later I put on a Bilstein B16 suspension because the stock TT one sucked for my uses. I track the car about 4-6 times a year, and the suspension was not good for that, and even with track pads, I could not stop in time for the busstop at Watkins Glen and forced an S3 to miss it (good that he noticed me not stopping in time and went straight!). I then put the S3 brake kit from my handed-in '15 A3, because, again, I felt that the stock break setup sucked, not only for track use, but pretty spirited driving. The S3 brakes are good, but I'm sure the 4-piston caliper TTs ones are a good improvement.

I now *love* the TT (I also had a '13 GTI). The B16 are amazing (although not in-car adjustable obivously) with the soft setting *way* better than the stock TT, and the firm setting... well,pretty amazing. But, 1) I got the TT for a stupid low price, and 2) I had a brake kit all ready to put on it and 3) I planned on going straight B16 on the TT. I love the torqeiness of the smaller turbo, too (as well as 32mpg on the hightway).

Quick Reply: 2018 TT w/stage 1 tune vs TTS