TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TT w/stage 1 tune vs TTS

Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daves4
So, I picked up a '16 TT leftover. Got it for $11k off sticker. I immediately went APR Stage 1, and 2 months later I put on a Bilstein B16 suspension because the stock TT one sucked for my uses. I track the car about 4-6 times a year, and the suspension was not good for that, and even with track pads, I could not stop in time for the busstop at Watkins Glen and forced an S3 to miss it (good that he noticed me not stopping in time and went straight!). I then put the S3 brake kit from my handed-in '15 A3, because, again, I felt that the stock break setup sucked, not only for track use, but pretty spirited driving. The S3 brakes are good, but I'm sure the 4-piston caliper TTs ones are a good improvement.

I now *love* the TT (I also had a '13 GTI). The B16 are amazing (although not in-car adjustable obivously) with the soft setting *way* better than the stock TT, and the firm setting... well,pretty amazing. But, 1) I got the TT for a stupid low price, and 2) I had a brake kit all ready to put on it and 3) I planned on going straight B16 on the TT. I love the torqeiness of the smaller turbo, too (as well as 32mpg on the hightway).
So, would you say that the discounted price and then a stage 1 tune would be a better buy than going for a slightly used TTS?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the TTS has the mag ride suspension. same as I had in my S3. that was not stiff at all but I had the 19 inch wheel package so comfort was nice and auto was ok and dynamic was crud. are you sure that the TTS ride isnt being adversely affected by the ludicrous 20 inch wheels that come with the black optics or as individual option? I have not seen or read a review of the TTS that didnt say the mag ride was a significant upgrade in comfort unless you got the 20 inchers with it.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I've tracked my TT nearly monthly now (so a whole bunch of times, as weather allows) and I've never once had the brakes show an once of fade, nor has the suspension not been up to the task. No....it's not a 911 GT3 or a GTR, but I'd surly not describe them as "they suck".

Exactly what type of tracking are you doing that requires such extreme upgrades to be considered acceptable?!?! Everyone always is stunned by how well the car brakes and handles if I let them go around on the track.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hmm.. hows the new TT or TTS compare to a new S3? Starting to think maybe i want the ability to actually use the back seats?!? Although i feel like the S3 just doesn't have the same exterior "wow" factor that the TT does. (then again, a lot of people still say the TT is a chick car.)

In regards to the S3, does anyone know how it handles? Is it stiff like a GTI/TT with minimal body roll or does it sway side to side like a normal sedan? I cant stand that.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by -Yeti-
hmm.. hows the new TT or TTS compare to a new S3? Starting to think maybe i want the ability to actually use the back seats?!? Although i feel like the S3 just doesn't have the same exterior "wow" factor that the TT does. (then again, a lot of people still say the TT is a chick car.)

In regards to the S3, does anyone know how it handles? Is it stiff like a GTI/TT with minimal body roll or does it sway side to side like a normal sedan? I cant stand that.
Friend has S3, I have a tuned TT.....we track our cars together routinely, often swapping out cars. S3 likes to pitch and understeers like crazy at the limit, doesn't rotate well, steering wheel ratio lock-to-lock is far to big and chews through front tires like candy. It can't put down decent times, but it doesn't like being pushed hard and it's clear this is not what the car was designed for. TT is completely different animal. Understeer is virtually banished, much flatter cornering, race-car like quick steering, aluminum weight savings is hugely evident. Don't get me wrong, the S3 is a fun car, but after spending hours between the two back to back on the track it's hard to believe they even share the same platform. S3 trunk is terrible small, I can't load way more stuff in my TT at any time with the seats folded than the S3 could ever hope to with it's seats folded. So similar, so different. Given the TT's looks I was always favoring it but thought an S3 was more practical....one drive and I could care less about the S3's back seat space, the TT is infinitely more fun to drive every day.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice comparative review, which bears out my own albeit lesser seat time observations. The S3 is a very nice all-'round sporty sedan, and of course the RS3 even more so. But sedan it is. And I too have hauled quite a bit in the back of my TT thanks mostly to its ease of access hatchback design.

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Friend has S3, I have a tuned TT.....we track our cars together routinely, often swapping out cars. S3 likes to pitch and understeers like crazy at the limit, doesn't rotate well, steering wheel ratio lock-to-lock is far to big and chews through front tires like candy. It can't put down decent times, but it doesn't like being pushed hard and it's clear this is not what the car was designed for. TT is completely different animal. Understeer is virtually banished, much flatter cornering, race-car like quick steering, aluminum weight savings is hugely evident. Don't get me wrong, the S3 is a fun car, but after spending hours between the two back to back on the track it's hard to believe they even share the same platform. S3 trunk is terrible small, I can load way more stuff in my TT at any time with the seats folded than the S3 could ever hope to with it's seats folded. So similar, so different. Given the TT's looks I was always favoring it but thought an S3 was more practical....one drive and I could care less about the S3's back seat space, the TT is infinitely more fun to drive every day.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Friend has S3, I have a tuned TT.....we track our cars together routinely, often swapping out cars. S3 likes to pitch and understeers like crazy at the limit, doesn't rotate well, steering wheel ratio lock-to-lock is far to big and chews through front tires like candy. It can't put down decent times, but it doesn't like being pushed hard and it's clear this is not what the car was designed for. TT is completely different animal. Understeer is virtually banished, much flatter cornering, race-car like quick steering, aluminum weight savings is hugely evident. Don't get me wrong, the S3 is a fun car, but after spending hours between the two back to back on the track it's hard to believe they even share the same platform. S3 trunk is terrible small, I can't load way more stuff in my TT at any time with the seats folded than the S3 could ever hope to with it's seats folded. So similar, so different. Given the TT's looks I was always favoring it but thought an S3 was more practical....one drive and I could care less about the S3's back seat space, the TT is infinitely more fun to drive every day.
Originally Posted by Huey52
Nice comparative review, which bears out my own albeit lesser seat time observations. The S3 is a very nice all-'round sporty sedan, and of course the RS3 even more so. But sedan it is. And I too have hauled quite a bit in the back of my TT thanks mostly to its ease of access hatchback design.
Very nice review, thank you. I also agree that it is a sedan and thats what kind of turns me off of the S3. RS3 would be awesome, but i really wish it was a 2 door.

As far as the TT space goes, the hatch with fold down seats likely provides a substantial cargo area. I had a Scion TC for a while and it was great! It's just that the back seat is rendered useless for human beings. For example, i have to drive with my girlfriend, brother and his girlfriend to the city this weekend. If i had the TT now, I wouldn't be able to drive (and i like driving.) I know this is a very limited use case example, but i could see it being annoying. At least when I had my TC the back seat could be used. Still will probably end up with a TT though. Its just too nice and sporty for me to pass on.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my friend has a S3 and a tuned sq5. he drives his cars hard. he took my tts ( with h and r springs and jb tune ) for a spin for like 10 minutes, and he said his s3 felt like a POS compared. the tts all around Is just better built. also, he traded the s3 in for a b9 s4 , and he still says my tts handled/felt nicer than his b9 s4.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a '77 Toyota Celica GT Liftback and its back seats were similarly useless for adults (but ok for child seats) yet had great stowage capacity thanks to its also steeply angled hatch. So not the first rodeo for this design schema.

Consider the percentage of time you would actually need room for adults in the back. If rare then as you did just use another vehicle. If often then this is not the right car for you. That was easy.

Originally Posted by -Yeti-
Very nice review, thank you. I also agree that it is a sedan and thats what kind of turns me off of the S3. RS3 would be awesome, but i really wish it was a 2 door.

As far as the TT space goes, the hatch with fold down seats likely provides a substantial cargo area. I had a Scion TC for a while and it was great! It's just that the back seat is rendered useless for human beings. For example, i have to drive with my girlfriend, brother and his girlfriend to the city this weekend. If i had the TT now, I wouldn't be able to drive (and i like driving.) I know this is a very limited use case example, but i could see it being annoying. At least when I had my TC the back seat could be used. Still will probably end up with a TT though. Its just too nice and sporty for me to pass on.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i stuffed my parents in the back seats before. tight for sure, but if its a matter of life and death, or walk, its doable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 TT w/stage 1 tune vs TTS