TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TT w/stage 1 tune vs TTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
I had a '77 Toyota Celica GT Liftback and its back seats were similarly useless for adults (but ok for child seats) yet had great stowage capacity thanks to its also steeply angled hatch. So not the first rodeo for this design schema.

Consider the percentage of time you would actually need room for adults in the back. If rare then as you did just use another vehicle. If often then this is not the right car for you. That was easy.
This is true. Other than my girlfriend, i rarely have passengers in my car and very rarely more than 1.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I've tracked my TT nearly monthly now (so a whole bunch of times, as weather allows) and I've never once had the brakes show an once of fade, nor has the suspension not been up to the task. No....it's not a 911 GT3 or a GTR, but I'd surly not describe them as "they suck".

Exactly what type of tracking are you doing that requires such extreme upgrades to be considered acceptable?!?! Everyone always is stunned by how well the car brakes and handles if I let them go around on the track.
I wouldnt call my upgrades extreme (S3 brakes and a Bilstein coilover)...

Watkins Glen, averaging 123mph down the back straight before the busstop, S3 brakes I start at the 300ft mark, TT stock brakes around the 600ft mark, which then became less effective each lap (4 30 minutes sessions in a two day period). My 2015 A3 (with sports suspension), before the brake upgrade, had the same issues at Watkins Glenn. We (me and NEQ instructor) kept on having to back off and start braking much earlier. They were fine for Palmer Motorsport, where its alot of turns and elevation changes and a max on the front straight of about 108mph. On that track, I could definitely feel the extra rebound and alot of settling time for the suspension. Once you drive an MQB car with even the Bilstein B8s in them, you'll see how big a difference it is.

Anyway, thats just MHO...
Old 12-15-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Yeti-
So, would you say that the discounted price and then a stage 1 tune would be a better buy than going for a slightly used TTS?
I know this is a lame answer, but: Its all dependent upon your personal situation. I already had the S3 brakes from my A3 when I turned it in at the end of the lease (friend de-modded it for free), I had planned on going stage 1, I wanted to lower the car just a little, I wanted an adjustable coilover (a friend's magride on his TT-RS kept leaking due to too much compression once he lowered it for handling purposes), and I'm too OCD to want someone else's car (this last thing being not insignificant).

Good luck in your decision!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by -Yeti-
hmm.. hows the new TT or TTS compare to a new S3? Starting to think maybe i want the ability to actually use the back seats?!? Although i feel like the S3 just doesn't have the same exterior "wow" factor that the TT does. (then again, a lot of people still say the TT is a chick car.)

In regards to the S3, does anyone know how it handles? Is it stiff like a GTI/TT with minimal body roll or does it sway side to side like a normal sedan? I cant stand that.
I can't compare my TT to an S3, but I can compare it to an A3. My wife has a 2017 A3 Quattro. Same drivetrain as my TT, which provides a good comparison of all other aspects. First, my TT definitely feels faster, as it should being 200lbs lighter. The handling characteristics are significantly different, too. I can hit the local roundabouts at a high pace with no issues on my TT. These same roundabouts require quite a bit more speed reduction in the A3. The TT "feels" like a sports car, the A3 "feels" like a sedan. Granted, the A3 is a much better performer than say, a Camry, but it is no sports car. I briefly had an S3 as a loaner, and was reasonably unimpressed at how little different it felt compared to the A3. Sure it was faster, but not significantly faster. Sure it handled better, but not better than my stock TT. It was faster than my TT, but not significantly. I may be the insane one, but I think the stock suspension on the TT is pretty good. Will it take corners as hard as my Corvette Z51? Well, of course not. It will take corners pretty damn well through and the ride isn't abusive, unlike my Z51.