TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TTRS 5100km... lifters fell...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 TTRS 5100km... lifters fell...

Hey guys so recently i got my car towed to the dealer. Long story short , cyl 2 exhuast rockers/lifters fell off the valve seats. Yes both rockers fell. Camshafts damaged and scratched, head got a nick from the lifter. Metal shavings in the engine. The advisor told me they tried for an engine but was told by tech line to just replace the cams and the 2 lifters and do an engine flush. As a mechanic , i dont think thats gonna prevent future issues especially with the metal filings that was in the oil... and the fact that they cant figure out where the metal was coming from. Just wonna see if theres a way to fight it or or how i should go about this? Im in van bc canada
Old 03-09-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow that really sucks. Are u modified and were U at WOT when it happened?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

+1
​​​​​​Engine is stock or modified? first time I have seen this issue on MK3 TTRS.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No mods no tunes. All stock. Cold start, under 2k rpm... got off work here , cold night so maybe 1-2 degrees celcius. Drove 2 -3 down the block and it fell off and just started misfiring like crazy
Old 03-29-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran my TTRS all winter to and from work down to -20C (Toronto, Canada), just took it real easy to warm it up before enjoyment. First time I have heard of this happening, hope you get it resolved!!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by K2a1314
Hey guys so recently i got my car towed to the dealer. Long story short , cyl 2 exhuast rockers/lifters fell off the valve seats. Yes both rockers fell. Camshafts damaged and scratched, head got a nick from the lifter. Metal shavings in the engine. The advisor told me they tried for an engine but was told by tech line to just replace the cams and the 2 lifters and do an engine flush. As a mechanic , i dont think thats gonna prevent future issues especially with the metal filings that was in the oil... and the fact that they cant figure out where the metal was coming from. Just wonna see if theres a way to fight it or or how i should go about this? Im in van bc canada
I understand your concern and it seems valid. If I were to put myself in your shoes, I have two options I can take:
1. Make an appeal directly with Audi Canada Customer Service in writing and then follow-up with a call to make sure your letter reached the right person.
2. Have the car repaired as directed by Audi. Drive it for 1500 kms and get an oil analysis to figure out how much metal is in the oil. If over the acceptable limit, change the oil and monitor again. If amount of metal in oil is still over the acceptable limit then there must still be an internal issue. Submit your findings to Audi through your dealer and insist on an engine replacement. If not, then you should have some peace of mind that all is well. If your engine breaks even before you had a chance to drive it fo 1500 kms then have peace of mind that your car still has bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I understand your concern and it seems valid. If I were to put myself in your shoes, I have two options I can take:
1. Make an appeal directly with Audi Canada Customer Service in writing and then follow-up with a call to make sure your letter reached the right person.
2. Have the car repaired as directed by Audi. Drive it for 1500 kms and get an oil analysis to figure out how much metal is in the oil. If over the acceptable limit, change the oil and monitor again. If amount of metal in oil is still over the acceptable limit then there must still be an internal issue. Submit your findings to Audi through your dealer and insist on an engine replacement. If not, then you should have some peace of mind that all is well. If your engine breaks even before you had a chance to drive it fo 1500 kms then have peace of mind that your car still has bumper to bumper warranty.

Thats actually a great idea. I think i will grab an oil sample at 1500, i have a feeling there will be more issues before 1500. The idle isnt very good still... can feel random ignition vibrations intermittently. Pretty choked about it tho. I got the car back already, they replaced cylinder 2 exhaust lifters x 2, and the camshaft exhuast side. Flushed engine oil and thats about it
Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious to know how this panned out (no pun intended). I've a 2019 TTRS which i do plan to drive during the winter (Boston area), and this seems like it might be a bit of a problem with grinding metal parts in the engine and all.
Did the car ever go back to normal, or did you need a new engine?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 AM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Hoping this is a freak failure, I’ve driven my car or the last two winters, Stage 1+ for the first winter and stage 2 last winter. I drive easy for the first while and until the oil temp comes up and then not so easy in temps as low as -35*C winter tracking. I hope Audi Canada does the right thing and replaces your engine fo you or even take the car back as a lemon and gives you a new car, with less than 10k km’s they really should be doing more for you.