TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2019 Design Select Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

My favorite rant. To my knowledge, Audi North America has provided potential customers with zero details, other than the order guide, of the 2019 TTRS upgrade. Audi USA's most recent articles about the TTRS discuss the Euro spec car and all photos are of the Eurospec. We already know that the North American TT and TTS are not getting some of the 2019 Erospec features, like the grill. I have yet to see any photos of a confirmed North America spec TTRS. How do they expect to sell a car sight unseen? Buyers need to pressure dealers for specifics before you buy. No wonder TT sales in NA are so poor
Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolster

Carbon inlays were not required under any circumstances on my US order, it was take it or leave it in any option combination.

*snip*
Unless you were ordering gray stitched seats, "take it or leave it" is not consistent with the US order guide. Carbon fiber inlays are only optional for the grey stitching seats (JN). Otherwise, they're a required option. In other words, the only way to get aluminum inserts is to order the gray stitched seats.

Black w/red stitching seats (AR) requires design selection interior (PEF for red), which is your current frustration. Ordering PEF in turn requires carbon fiber inlays (5MB). It's the same for selecting the seats with blue stitching: TH requires design selection interior (PEI for blue), which in turn requires carbon fiber inlays (5MB).

I explicitly asked my salesman if I could order the red stitched seats as a standalone option: not allowed.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yes, I just re-checked the order guide and you are right. Carbon has to be ordered if you get the design select package. I was looking in the wrong spot. My mistake.

Well...... crap. And, I've actually been considering dropping the carbon for the aluminum inlays too, but now that's even harder. So, that means I drop the design select package and the carbon and Audi/Dealer loses out on the profit from another 1,750 odd bucks rather than just give us what we want. Stupid.

I've actually considered canceling and ordering a 2018 at this rate.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah yes, I just re-checked the order guide and you are right. Carbon has to be ordered if you get the design select package. I was looking in the wrong spot. My mistake.

Well...... crap. And, I've actually been considering dropping the carbon for the aluminum inlays too, but now that's even harder. So, that means I drop the design select package and the carbon and Audi/Dealer loses out on the profit from another 1,750 odd bucks rather than just give us what we want. Stupid.

I've actually considered canceling and ordering a 2018 at this rate.
>>So, that means I drop the design select package and the carbon and Audi/Dealer loses out on the profit from another 1,750 odd bucks rather than just give us what we want<<

That's what I'm thinking. A ploy by Audi to coerce us into piling on options we wouldn't normally choose. Worked on me for the dynamic package--I wanted the sport exhaust, dynamic package is the only way to get it for 2019. In 2018, sport exhaust was a standalone option.

>>I've actually considered canceling and ordering a 2018 at this rate.<<

If you're thinking of ordering a 2018 TT TS, that ship sailed a long time ago. Perhaps just order the car as close as you can to your personal specifications, then move on? In the end, I personally don't consider red or gray stitching, or carbon or aluminum inlays, as rising to the level of exterior and seat color choice...choices that may even make or break the appeal of a car.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Randall_G
I wanted the sport exhaust, dynamic package is the only way to get it for 2019. In 2018, sport exhaust was a standalone option.
Yeah same. Exhaust is a must. Didn't really want the 20" wheels. They look nice enough (though I think maybe I prefer the standard ones) but I must admit I am a little nervous about ride quality.

Originally Posted by Randall_G
Perhaps just order the car as close as you can to your personal specifications, then move on? In the end, I personally don't consider red or gray stitching, or carbon or aluminum inlays, as rising to the level of exterior and seat color choice...choices that may even make or break the appeal of a car.
Hey! don't deny me my rant

But yeah, I guess that is what I'll do. I might just go for the gray and save the money
Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah same. Exhaust is a must. Didn't really want the 20" wheels. They look nice enough (though I think maybe I prefer the standard ones) but I must admit I am a little nervous about ride quality.

Hey! don't deny me my rant

But yeah, I guess that is what I'll do. I might just go for the gray and save the money
>>Hey! don't deny me my rant<<

Lol~

In fairness, we all want to avoid regrets down the road, even minor ones.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth...in 2016 when I bought my TTS, I purchased one of the inventory builds that was coming in to the dealership in a couple months. It was the right colour and the other options were in line with my wishes except for the 20" wheels. I still said yes but my heart said no I don't want 20's. I REALLY didn't want those wheels. When I took delivery, I was ecstatic with how it looked WITH the 20's! I was wrong, and I still love the look to this day.

Now, I've once again put my money down for an inventory build for that was ordered for that same dealership. Same story: My 1st colour choice (Turbo Blue) with all of the options I would have selected but this one has the carbon fiber inlays and a fixed wing. I likely would not have checked the CF box and I think I would have had an internal debate with myself on the wing. But the timing of the car works, it checks most of the boxes so I signed the dotted line. And here's why - based on my previous experience, I trust that this particular dealership knows what's going to look good. Yes, it's a personal preference but at the end of the day, they're in the business of ordering cars every day and I do it every few years. So I'm taking a leap of faith and I trust that they've ordered something that's going to look amazing!
Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

From: https://configurator.audi.com/acc/co...tor/v1/b2b/eng

Could be what the US red design selection interior will look like? Other than the aluminum inlays, that is.

Last edited by Randall_G; 03-15-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got these back from the dealer (who got them from Audi USA Corporate). This is what the seats and console looks like if you go for either of the design select packages in the US.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

FYI....many of you know the seat trim bits that are (now colored red or blue, as discussed here) chronically failed. I had to have them replaced 3 times on my TT. Removing those trim pieces is a BIG job, they do not just "pop out" as one might expect. The seat back must be removed, and then they trim must be carefully pried away from the seat and also separated from the side air bag itself. This means the COMPLETE removal of the seat from the car to preform removal. And then there is the cost..... Perhaps the pricing has changed since 2016 but I can tell you every time the seat trim was replaced on both seats the warranty bill with $1500+. Sadly even removing them to be wrapped could prove to be a much more involved process than it seems on the surface. I can tell you....there are so many tabs on those pieces to get it off without breaking some of them could prove very difficult, and of course you have to be mindful of the air bag itself. I can say...these cars are so awesome and fun I'd hope the color of a trim piece wouldn't keep you from ordering and enjoying the car, even if it is not your ideal color choice of trim.

Quick Reply: 2019 Design Select Package