TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2019 TT has rattle from rear passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 TT has rattle from rear passenger side

Started noticing an annoying rattling sound coming from passenger rear side. It doesn't seem to happen at low or high speeds, just around 30 to 40 mph on not smoothish roads, and somewhat intermittent. It's quiet enough you sort of have to listen for it, but once you hear it, can't not notice it. Messes with an otherwise pleasurable drive.

It seems to go away completely if I put down the rear passenger seat. Putting down the rear driver side seat doesn't do anything. I think it's the plastic layer underneath the trunk liner (the ones covering the battery) rattling against the seat and/or the frame. With the seat down, there's less play to that layer; I can't move it around as freely as with the seat up.

I saw the other threads regarding the clip and/or trunk bumper on previous years' models, but the solutions to those didn't work for me. For now, a layer of bubblewrap seems to be doing the trick.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Things to check:
  1. Is the seatbelt buckle the culprit?
  2. Is the privacy shelf secured fully or has it come loose ever-so-slightly?
  3. Check the placement of the trunk mat and be sure it's in there correctly

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll have to drive around more to see if bubble wrap between the liner and the plastic has solved the rattle.

I'm pretty sure it's not the shelf because I've taken it off before and still had the noise.

I'm not sure about the seatbelt. Will try that next.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Think I found the culprit. The rear passenger seat wasn't clipped in correctly. I lifted it up until it unclipped then snapped it back in. So far, two drives with no squeaking/rattling.

Either the seat came from the factory that way, or having someone sit on it for the first time loosened something.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad you found it. Those intermittent and generalized rattles have been the bane of automotives almost as long as they've existed.

On my allroad I had to wrap a felt pad to the static clip of the passenger rear seat.

Originally Posted by Laptran
Think I found the culprit. The rear passenger seat wasn't clipped in correctly. I lifted it up until it unclipped then snapped it back in. So far, two drives with no squeaking/rattling.

Either the seat came from the factory that way, or having someone sit on it for the first time loosened something.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Haha, it's like wack-a-mole. Another/same squeek/rattle started up again. This time, I sat in the back seat while my wife drove the car. I think I've isolated it to the privacy screen that is clipped to the trunk lid, not the one that slides out. Or it could be a combination of the two. Going to try some blue tack in the clip areas or felt pads where they meet.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same rattle. I hope you can find it because I have not been able to locate it.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That lift back screen can appear to be locked in but actually not. Same for the slide-in cover. Drove me crazy for awhile as well.

Originally Posted by Laptran
Haha, it's like wack-a-mole. Another/same squeek/rattle started up again. This time, I sat in the back seat while my wife drove the car. I think I've isolated it to the privacy screen that is clipped to the trunk lid, not the one that slides out. Or it could be a combination of the two. Going to try some blue tack in the clip areas or felt pads where they meet.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first got my 2018 TT, I had the same issue. I was able to resolve it by manually adjusting the hatch height points (little rubber ***** that control how flush the hatch sits when closed). On mine, one was higher than the other, causing the hatch to rattle. Good luck! It took me 6 months to figure it out!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, I had that issue too. There’s a specific thread on that issue as well.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...2906369/page2/

Originally Posted by DtPuma
When I first got my 2018 TT, I had the same issue. I was able to resolve it by manually adjusting the hatch height points (little rubber ***** that control how flush the hatch sits when closed). On mine, one was higher than the other, causing the hatch to rattle. Good luck! It took me 6 months to figure it out!

Last edited by Huey52; 05-26-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 TT has rattle from rear passenger side