TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2019 TTRS - Carplay - screen goes blank

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2019 TTRS - Carplay - screen goes blank

Wondering if anyone else has run into this:

Carplay working great, then go from the standard virtual cockpit to the sport (tach in center), then back, and the Carplay screen will occasionally go blank. I've also had this occur when navigating carplay in the standard virtual display.

I'm using an official apple cable, and have even tried a brand new one.

No matter what Carplay was doing e.g. navigation directions, playing music, etc. it continues to do its thing, just no display in the virtual cockpit. The controls still work too e.g. select next track.

Disconnecting the phone and reattaching does not restore the display on the virtual cockpit. It requires a a power off of the car, and on next start, it's back again.

iPhone Xs Max iOS 12.3.x
Old 06-14-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happens in my 2019. Frustrating. I typically unplug it, then back in... Sure there will be a software update soon.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JGreen
Sure there will be a software update soon.
Apple will changing/updating CarPlay with iOS 13 due out for full public release in mid-September.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2019 TT RS does the exact same thing. My son is an Audi mechanic and he checked there computers for a fix from Audi and nothing yet.
The following users liked this post:
JGreen (07-06-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertsTTRS
My 2019 TT RS does the exact same thing. My son is an Audi mechanic and he checked there computers for a fix from Audi and nothing yet.
My 2018 TT RS did not do it but the new 2019 model goes black while playing Pandora except for about the top 20% which display tabs that do not function. Anyone else have similar 'partial blackness' while in CarPlay?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also noticed that Audi did a poor job of integrating the carplay screen in the virtual cockpit. For example, they could have put both tach/spedo at the left, providing more space for the screen (although it would be offset from the venter). It would be nice to have a "hide Audi tabs" feature, which would get a little more vertical space.

With iOS 13, I hope Audi will support the following two features.
  • Irregular screen size support. Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.
  • Adjustable screen size. Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that change the size of the display dynamically.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is getting annoying. Carplay is totally useless at this point. I wonder if the MMI thinks it's in a view where it can be displayed.

I've had it randomly come back, only to go blank again.

My dealer tells me I have to bring it in and the tech has to reproduce it before they can open a case with Audi. Audi needs to think more like a consumer electronics company and provide a direct path to support rather than having to leave it at a dealer. They also need to embrace over-the-air updates like Tesla is doing.

It took Audi over a year to issue a fix the 3d-camera bug in my wife's 2018 Q5, so I wonder how long it will take for this bug to get fixed.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys also having issues with the charging pad? After about 5 seconds it stops charging, stating something else is also in the tray.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not having issues in the battery tray of mine. 2019 TT RS. Other than it’s barely big enough for my phone. Lol. But it will connect and charge seemingly normal. I haven’t tried the Apple Car Play yet as I just run Pandora etc. through Bluetooth. I will try it though to provide feedback for you guys.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Why did Audi make the batter tray so small? I use the Spigen Ultra Hybrid on my iPhone XS Max and it barely fits in it and it won't charge in the case. So to charge I need to remove the case which is a PiTA. So I just use it now for storage.

Quick Reply: 2019 TTRS - Carplay - screen goes blank