TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Anybody look at Michelin PS 4S (265/30R20) for TT RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody look at Michelin PS 4S (265/30R20) for TT RS?

I'd like to get a set of Michelin PS 4S on my TT RS, but they are not offered in 255/30R20. Has anybody tried 265/30R20 on the stock 20" (BO) wheels? Do you think there will be fitment issues? Do you think it will negatively impact handling? I saw a thread re: the 35 profile version, but it didn't have much info on the 30 profile.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear more about this as well.
Also the 265 width would help improve grip even more
Old 09-28-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

The 4S is definitely going to be my pick when the time comes to do wheels and tires, if there's a size that fits. But I really want to go down to a 19" wheel, probably a 19x9. The only thing that has really held me back from going ahead is that amazing wheel in the Audi Sport Performance package.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Akenmaat
The 4S is definitely going to be my pick when the time comes to do wheels and tires, if there's a size that fits. But I really want to go down to a 19" wheel, probably a 19x9. The only thing that has really held me back from going ahead is that amazing wheel in the Audi Sport Performance package.
Yeah, same here. I've thought about a 19x9, I'm just curious if I'd be losing out on any track performance. I'd rather have a bit more sidewall if it didn't negatively impact handling. 255/35R19 would be great.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good Evening:

I have a 2016 TTs with the 20" optional wheel (y-mesh spokes) and I was able to install the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in the 265/30/20 size with no issues (full steering lock, rubbing).

I have them installed for about 2k miles and they are overall better (turn-in response, etc.) than the stock Pirellis that my car came with.

Hopefully it will fit the TTrs as well.

Tony717
Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tony717
Good Evening:

I have a 2016 TTs with the 20" optional wheel (y-mesh spokes) and I was able to install the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in the 265/30/20 size with no issues (full steering lock, rubbing).

I have them installed for about 2k miles and they are overall better (turn-in response, etc.) than the stock Pirellis that my car came with.

Hopefully it will fit the TTrs as well.

Tony717
Thank you for the information. I also contacted Michelin, and it doesn't sound like a 255/30R20 is in the future plans either, so I submitted an escalation to them for that, but I may just go with the 265s when these P Zeros are worn out.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

To follow up on the 19 vs 20 discussion...
Over the weekend I went through the introductory Audi Driving Experience that included the RS3 and TT RS. After it wrapped up I was chatting with one of the instructors and mentioned that I felt like going down to a 19x9 wheel. His feedback was that doing that would hurt performance in the TT RS.

Now, of course, this was a track/autocross discussion, so we're talking about performance at the limit. That obviously doesn't include considerations for improved ride quality or bubbling tires.

But still, I found it a little surprising given what I was hearing from the guys regularly autocrossing various Golf trims.

That said, I will likely just wait to see if I can get my hands on the wheels from the Audi Sport performance parts release. They are a bit pricey, but I imagine the lighter weight will make up for most of the advantage of a 19" wheel without sacrificing any performance.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Akenmaat
To follow up on the 19 vs 20 discussion...
Over the weekend I went through the introductory Audi Driving Experience that included the RS3 and TT RS. After it wrapped up I was chatting with one of the instructors and mentioned that I felt like going down to a 19x9 wheel. His feedback was that doing that would hurt performance in the TT RS.

Now, of course, this was a track/autocross discussion, so we're talking about performance at the limit. That obviously doesn't include considerations for improved ride quality or bubbling tires.

But still, I found it a little surprising given what I was hearing from the guys regularly autocrossing various Golf trims.

That said, I will likely just wait to see if I can get my hands on the wheels from the Audi Sport performance parts release. They are a bit pricey, but I imagine the lighter weight will make up for most of the advantage of a 19" wheel without sacrificing any performance.
I wonder how true that is. I was on the phone with Tire Rack this morning discussing some 19x9 wheels and 255/35/19 Michelin PS 4S tires for potential delivery this week. Wheels would be 22lbs, tires 24lbs, for 46lbs vs. the 50.4lb stock setup (23lbs of which is tire). Slightly more mass in the tire, and 1/2" more sidewall. I was hoping for an improvement in lap times on a road course, and a little nicer ride as a DD. One major issue for the 20x9 wheel is the lack of availability of the 4S tires in 255/30R20 for DD, and good track tires like the RE-71s if you want to go that way. Also, potholes are wheel-benders.

Last edited by ormandj; 10-09-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ormandj
I wonder how true that is. I was on the phone with Tire Rack this morning discussing some 19x9 wheels and 255/35/19 Michelin PS 4S tires for potential delivery this week. Wheels would be 22lbs, tires 24lbs, for 46lbs vs. the 50.4lb stock setup (23lbs of which is tire). Slightly more mass in the tire, and 1/2" more sidewall. I was hoping for an improvement in lap times on a road course, and a little nicer ride as a DD. One major issue for the 20x9 wheel is the lack of availability of the 4S tires in 255/30R20 for DD, and good track tires like the RE-71s if you want to go that way. Also, potholes are wheel-benders.
Yeah, my first instinct says to go with 19x9 for more sidewall and less stretch. But my thought is, Audi Sport had to have tested these cars with the 19" wheels as well and they settled on the 20". I was willing to write a certain amount of that off as marketing until I talked with the instructor at the driving experience.

Tires are definitely a concern. I REALLY want off the PZeros and onto the 4S. I absolutely loved the PSS on my R32, which also replaced a set of PZeros. So the next question is, how critical is the sidewall stretch in the handling performance. Again, I have no doubt that Audi Sport had access to 265/30/20 and/or 265/35/20 tires, but they chose the 255/30/20. So that will be on my list of questions the next time I have access to someone who does this for a living.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those guys who can afford to get multiple setups to actually test what works the best. So I can't speak from first hand experience.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tony - do you have any close up pics of your wheels? Any noticeable road feel differences from the 255 Pirellis?

Quick Reply: Anybody look at Michelin PS 4S (265/30R20) for TT RS?