TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Anybody look at Michelin PS 4S (265/30R20) for TT RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Akenmaat
Yeah, my first instinct says to go with 19x9 for more sidewall and less stretch. But my thought is, Audi Sport had to have tested these cars with the 19" wheels as well and they settled on the 20". I was willing to write a certain amount of that off as marketing until I talked with the instructor at the driving experience.

Tires are definitely a concern. I REALLY want off the PZeros and onto the 4S. I absolutely loved the PSS on my R32, which also replaced a set of PZeros. So the next question is, how critical is the sidewall stretch in the handling performance. Again, I have no doubt that Audi Sport had access to 265/30/20 and/or 265/35/20 tires, but they chose the 255/30/20. So that will be on my list of questions the next time I have access to someone who does this for a living.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those guys who can afford to get multiple setups to actually test what works the best. So I can't speak from first hand experience.
I just wonder what tires are they using on the track / making that determination with? Few of the typical DOT track tires seem to be available in the 255/30R20 size, so I'm curious how they determined 20x9 is optimal if there are no great track tires available - if they made that determination on P Zeros, I'd question their sanity.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ormandj
I just wonder what tires are they using on the track / making that determination with? Few of the typical DOT track tires seem to be available in the 255/30R20 size, so I'm curious how they determined 20x9 is optimal if there are no great track tires available - if they made that determination on P Zeros, I'd question their sanity.
LOL... agreed on the PZeros.

For the Audi Driving Experience here, they are on PZeros because Pirelli is a sponsor. The are all the stock cars with the Dynamic Plus Package. But the racing driver I was talking to was strictly speaking to wheel size, 19 vs 20, on the TT RS. We weren't really talking tires.

As for Audi Sport, I don't know. But since the 245 and 265 both seem to be much more available, I can't imagine they didn't test them. Especially when the 265 fits on a 20x9 wheel much better than the 255 does. I could be overthinking it, but it just seems to me like the 255 wouldn't be the natural choice unless they performed better.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL... agreed on the PZeros.

For the Audi Driving Experience here, they are on PZeros because Pirelli is a sponsor. The are all the stock cars with the Dynamic Plus Package. But the racing driver I was talking to was strictly speaking to wheel size, 19 vs 20, on the TT RS. We weren't really talking tires.

As for Audi Sport, I don't know. But since the 245 and 265 both seem to be much more available, I can't imagine they didn't test them. Especially when the 265 fits on a 20x9 wheel much better than the 255 does. I could be overthinking it, but it just seems to me like the 255 wouldn't be the natural choice unless they performed better.
I suppose what I'm saying is I don't know how they would have determined a 20x9" wheel is best if there are almost no good tires available in the appropriate size for that wheel. If you happen to run into them again, ask specifically why the 20x9 was found to be best and on what tires. That would be very telling!

FWIW the Leggera HLT 19x9 et42 supposedly will only clear the calipers (spokes) by 1.5mm according to Tirerack so that plan is out for me. This is so frustrating! I don't want to order custom wheels or spend 10% of the car value in wheels but it seems like there's not many other options. The BBS CI-R 19x9 are apparently a fit but are also 25.4lbs.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW the Leggera HLT 19x9 et42 supposedly will only clear the calipers (spokes) by 1.5mm according to Tirerack so that plan is out for me. This is so frustrating! I don't want to order custom wheels or spend 10% of the car value in wheels but it seems like there's not many other options. The BBS CI-R 19x9 are apparently a fit but are also 25.4lbs.
But you could run 10mm spacers to get it back to et52 right? Or am I missing something?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

But you could run 10mm spacers to get it back to et52 right? Or am I missing something?
You'd want to run a 3mm spacer as a 10mm would put it as et32, and the wheel would be .78" further out than stock. I'm not a fan of spacers to begin with, and even with a 3mm spacer the wheel is already 1/2" out further than stock. I am sure that would be fine, I just don't like dealing with spacers.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went ahead and ordered a set of BBS CI-R in 19x9, and some 255/35R19 Michelin PS 4S to go along with it. It's my DD, so even if I give up 5% of maximum track performance, the trade-off will be worth it. Not to mention, the tires are significantly better, so any loss will likely be offset by the better tires.

I realize the CI-R are relatively heavy (25.3lbs or so) compared to some of the other rotary forged options (22lbs or so), but I want something that can survive the roads here without bending. The extra 1/2" of sidewall coupled with the BBS wheels should put me in a much better place. Also, it's a pain finding wheels that will clear the calipers. The BBS apparently do, according to Tire Rack. We'll see if that holds true when they show up - they are back-ordered for 10-14 days supposedly.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:22 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I went ahead and ordered a set of BBS CI-R in 19x9, and some 255/35R19 Michelin PS 4S to go along with it. It's my DD, so even if I give up 5% of maximum track performance, the trade-off will be worth it. Not to mention, the tires are significantly better, so any loss will likely be offset by the better tires.

I realize the CI-R are relatively heavy (25.3lbs or so) compared to some of the other rotary forged options (22lbs or so), but I want something that can survive the roads here without bending. The extra 1/2" of sidewall coupled with the BBS wheels should put me in a much better place. Also, it's a pain finding wheels that will clear the calipers. The BBS apparently do, according to Tire Rack. We'll see if that holds true when they show up - they are back-ordered for 10-14 days supposedly.
When those BBS come in and you mount them pictures of the new set-up would be appreciated.

Also maybe some pictures of the comparison between the current 20" wheels versus the New BBS Wheels & Tires.
Especially looking at them from the side so we can get a good idea of the additional added sidewall of the 19".

I'm with you that for street use the thicker sidewall is the way to go.

Is this the BBS C1-R 19" your getting below ???

• Pilot Sport 4S - Size: 255/35ZR19
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-10-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went a different direction with wheels in the end, and I'm glad I did. 20.8lbs per corner, Neuspeed RSe102 19x9 ET45.

255/35R19 Michelin PS 4S. Definitely a better ride on the road and honestly it feels better on the track too. Didn't give up anything in turn in that I can tell, and gained traction due to the better tire.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am planning on getting 20x9.5” wheels and the 265/30/20 Michelin’s but I am a ways out from getting my car so won’t have them for a while. These tires should fit well on a 9.5” rim and they don’t seem to have any real significant diameter difference from the 255 Pirelli’s. The wait is killing me. I’m going to go with custom wheels as to everyone’s point there just aren’t many non-custom options available.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:25 PM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I went a different direction with wheels in the end, and I'm glad I did. 20.8lbs per corner, Neuspeed RSe102 19x9 ET45.

255/35R19 Michelin PS 4S. Definitely a better ride on the road and honestly it feels better on the track too. Didn't give up anything in turn in that I can tell, and gained traction due to the better tire.
Well my Good-Man I think you made an Excellent choice in the end.
I really like the ones you ended up going with in the picture.
Your TT RS is also totally "Awesome" looking.
Just wondering did changing to the 19" and those tires change the RPM (Revs-Per-Mile) ???
I take it that it did not or you would have said so.

No Spacers (Needed or Required) either Front or Rear ???

Straight Bolt on and done, right ???

Would you mind doing some Close-Ups of the wheels & tires for us ???

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-10-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody look at Michelin PS 4S (265/30R20) for TT RS?