TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Anyone do a APR Stage 1 ECU tune on their TT 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

You are correct, the TTS engine & supporting subsystems are significantly different than the TT engine.

The TT engine is not "detuned" but rather the TTS engine is enhanced and commensurately tuned.

[farmerjones just loves his ad hoc, unsubstantiated, percentages ]

Originally Posted by doveboat
Correct me if I am wrong, the TTS 2.0 is a different engine than the TT 2.0.

The TT 2.0 is not a detuned TTS 2.0 engine. It is a TT 2.0 engine being tuned to produce more hp / tq than originally engineered for.

I can go back and check the particular differences in the engines e.g. Forged, valve train, turbo, intercooler, etc ...

Ed
Old 07-21-2017, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Well I don't know how you wanna look at it, but the engines share well over 95% of their parts..... They are not that different with the exception of turbo size, injector size and piston design. I'm not trying to be super technical here....just generalizing that yes...the base 2.0T can handle oodles of more power with the highest level of reliability without concern (along with the rest of the powertrain). A stage 1 tune on a TT is not a replacement for a TTS, but the point is it and incredibly similar ownership experience (without the turbo lag) at a fraction of the cost for those of us that are interested. Would I ever consider tuning my TTS? That is a resounding NO! Doing so shares very few similarities in tuning the TT.
Farmerjones, why a resounding "NO" for tuning a TTS. Interested in hearing your thoughts.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TK42ONE
Farmerjones, why a resounding "NO" for tuning a TTS. Interested in hearing your thoughts.
Ah nevermind I saw your post on the other thread! Cheers.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
You are correct, the TTS engine & supporting subsystems are significantly different than the TT engine.

The TT engine is not "detuned" but rather the TTS engine is enhanced and commensurately tuned.

I'm 96.42% sure I agree. None of us have enough information to describe reliability impact of a tune on any of these engines as a statistic, only that there is additional risk involved.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52

I'm not here to be argumentative, but I worked in the auto industry for quite some time in the service side, so I have some background in the technical side of these cars.

I'm sorry, but the subsystems of a TTS are not significantly different than TT. Not the AWD, not the DSG, not the cooling package, etc. Are they the same? No. Are they dramatically different? Absolute not. In fact, there are only a handful of parts that are different. Just go compare the parts book and start poking around.....without a shadow of a doubt a TTS and a TT have over 95% of the exact same powertrain parts and hardware. If you want to argue %, fine....but you can't deny they are VERY similar, must more so that the Audi marketing department wants you to know.

As far as the tune.....contact APR and have them break down the engine tune parameters adjusted, and then have them compared to the stock TTS and the APR tuned TTS. This information is available from them. You'll not how many of the TT tuned parameters (valve train adjustments, injector duration, fuel ratio, turbo psi, etc) are extremely similar. Hence my entire comparison of the TT as a detuned TTS...loosely and generally stated. Also this ads to the generalization about said reliability of stage 1 TT tune is highly predictable.

These model variants (and tunes) are MUCH more similar than many think. If you do the homework and ask the right questions and get the right documents it's all verifiable. I don't say that to demise the TT, but you have to separate out marketing material from hardware. I have done this because I'm a technical geek as of such and stuff like this was my daily job for quite some time.

I'm gladly open to discussion and someone correcting me in error, but I'm highly confident in what I have states as fact, not opinion (based on a lot of research). I still have some connections in the industry that allows me to access some sources some may not normally have, that's all.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I was unaware you formerly worked in Audi service. That would certainly give you unique insight.

The 2.0T block is very standardized across the Audi lineup (this is my 3rd plus a number of loaners, and I had an APR tune on my A5 which was a dramatic improvement). However as enthusiasts we're well aware of how much impact even a 5% difference in parts can make. I think it comes down to one's definition of "significant." Let's just agree that it's very subjective, typically butt dyno determined, and the performance levels between the TT and TTS are well documented if likely Audi understated. And again, you win with any TT model.

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I'm not here to be argumentative, but I worked in the auto industry for quite some time in the service side, so I have some background in the technical side of these cars.

I'm sorry, but the subsystems of a TTS are not significantly different than TT. Not the AWD, not the DSG, not the cooling package, etc. Are they the same? No. Are they dramatically different? Absolute not. In fact, there are only a handful of parts that are different. Just go compare the parts book and start poking around.....without a shadow of a doubt a TTS and a TT have over 95% of the exact same powertrain parts and hardware. If you want to argue %, fine....but you can't deny they are VERY similar, must more so that the Audi marketing department wants you to know.

As far as the tune.....contact APR and have them break down the engine tune parameters adjusted, and then have them compared to the stock TTS and the APR tuned TTS. This information is available from them. You'll not how many of the TT tuned parameters (valve train adjustments, injector duration, fuel ratio, turbo psi, etc) are extremely similar. Hence my entire comparison of the TT as a detuned TTS...loosely and generally stated. Also this ads to the generalization about said reliability of stage 1 TT tune is highly predictable.

These model variants (and tunes) are MUCH more similar than many think. If you do the homework and ask the right questions and get the right documents it's all verifiable. I don't say that to demise the TT, but you have to separate out marketing material from hardware. I have done this because I'm a technical geek as of such and stuff like this was my daily job for quite some time.

I'm gladly open to discussion and someone correcting me in error, but I'm highly confident in what I have states as fact, not opinion (based on a lot of research). I still have some connections in the industry that allows me to access some sources some may not normally have, that's all.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, how is your car now ,have you sold it to someone or did it cause you any reliability issue?