TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Audi TT vs TTS, what is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT vs TTS, what is the difference?

Hello people of AudiWorld,

I've been contemplating on getting an Audi TT or TTS in the next year or so, but in doing research on what model I should get, I got some confusion with the actual differences between the most recent 2016 and 2017 TT/S. When you look on Audi's website, they are both speced out pretty much the same other than the difference in horsepower, but they are both sporting the 2.0 TFSI EA888 Gen 3 Engine, so is that difference in horsepower all from the ECU and how the engine has been tuned?

Nothing stops someone from picking up a TT, buying Unitronic's or APR's Stage I ECU tune for $600 to completely close the gap in power of the TTS, and save themselves almost $10,000.

So other than the TTS badge, what else comes with getting a TTS? What justifies the $10,000 extra?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The TTS additional horsepower is accomplished by more than just a tune. There are significant engine-internal component upgrades and supporting intercooler, etc. Also the TTS has a magnetic-fluid damper suspension system.

But it's fair to say that a tuned TT would be very spirited, if not exactly comparable. So the good news is that you can't lose with either model. Enjoy your further research and ultimate acquisition.

Originally Posted by adrianord
Hello people of AudiWorld,

I've been contemplating on getting an Audi TT or TTS in the next year or so, but in doing research on what model I should get, I got some confusion with the actual differences between the most recent 2016 and 2017 TT/S. When you look on Audi's website, they are both speced out pretty much the same other than the difference in horsepower, but they are both sporting the 2.0 TFSI EA888 Gen 3 Engine, so is that difference in horsepower all from the ECU and how the engine has been tuned?

Nothing stops someone from picking up a TT, buying Unitronic's or APR's Stage I ECU tune for $600 to completely close the gap in power of the TTS, and save themselves almost $10,000.

So other than the TTS badge, what else comes with getting a TTS? What justifies the $10,000 extra?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

You had me at...
Originally Posted by adrianord
...difference in horsepower...

OK, Seriously. I'm not in the market today. But we've had the TT and now the 2013 TTS. The interior appointments, the mag ride, I bet the sound system, the wheels, the lower ride, all were superior four years ago.

Earlier today, a late model TT Coupe was parked next to my '13 TTS Roadster. It made me not unhappy that I didn't trade it in for new. Was it my imagination, or is the MK3 bigger overall?

Either way, you'll have a fun car. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

An old list that I had put together:

TTS Engine & unique engine Cover
Nicer Body kit and different exterior mirrors
(Note: no S line package in the US on a standard TT is a big issue)
Magnetic Ride
Better Brakes with larger front discs, and painted Calipers with TTS logo (Red Painted as an option)
More exterior paint options
Better Interior options (Like the lovely Express Red)
Additional Virtual Cockpit sport view
Laser textured dashboard unique to TTS
Four oval tail pipes vs. two
Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Somewhat related, a good video on the MkI/II/III exterior evolution:
Old 07-09-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Somewhat related, a good video on the MkI/II/III exterior evolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seUjwtNBupk
Body style-wise, I think the MK2 was a better looking vehicle.
Bob
Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbob
Body style-wise, I think the MK2 was a better looking vehicle.
Bob
MK3 for me, I really didn't care for the MK1, and the MK2 I wouldn't have purchased, but I like the MK3 quite a bit.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Although I nearly bought a MkI back in the day I agree, which [not so?] coincidentally is why I have one.

Originally Posted by ormandj
MK3 for me, I really didn't care for the MK1, and the MK2 I wouldn't have purchased, but I like the MK3 quite a bit.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the same boat right now. im coming from a f30 335i and after test driving the TT I was pleasantly surprised by the accel and handling. i had done no research going into the test drive and was expecting to be disappointed, but gladly was surprised.

themain reason I would want a TTS is obviously for the extra power but also for the cosmetic upgrades too.

is it possible to add the TTS diffuser/exhaust to the TT?
Old 07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would presume it is quite possible. The TT and TTS exhausts are fundamentally the same except that the TTS utilizes the two add'l punch outs on the common muffler to add the valves/tips. I would think the 4-tip diffuser may also be substituted.

Related, I substituted the S5 dual exhaust diffuser to my A5 with an aftermarket Stasis dual exhaust, done at the dealership.

Originally Posted by audi_tt
im in the same boat right now. im coming from a f30 335i and after test driving the TT I was pleasantly surprised by the accel and handling. i had done no research going into the test drive and was expecting to be disappointed, but gladly was surprised.

themain reason I would want a TTS is obviously for the extra power but also for the cosmetic upgrades too.

is it possible to add the TTS diffuser/exhaust to the TT?