TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

AudiConnect Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AudiConnect Disconnect

Enjoying my TTS, but one source of bother is that the AudiConnect periodically (once a week or so) fails to make a data connection. This shows up in no traffic info in the Navigation. Also, the only way to remedy is to leave the car off and stationary for a while (I stop and restart does not work, assume the car goes to sleep for a period of time but does not reset).

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

How do you know if you even have a connection? I popped in that AT&T SIM card that came with the car and it says 3G, but when I go to connect it just sits there spinning and nothing happens....
Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visuar
How do you know if you even have a connection? I popped in that AT&T SIM card that came with the car and it says 3G, but when I go to connect it just sits there spinning and nothing happens....

If you have traffic, you have a connection. Also if you are in Navigation, there are two clues - first the Google logo in the bottom right goes from grey to white as the Google Earth imagery updates, and second on the bottom left a "Online" marker shows up after a minute or so (usually as the traffic data loads).

Clue to no connection is no traffic info.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

This is typically caused by a failed Handover. Sometimes, cell towers fail to correctly hand you over to the next tower, so your cellular radio continues to try to reach a tower that is out of range, hence you have no connection. The only way to fix this is to reset the modem. The easiest way is to pull the SIM card and put it back in instead of waiting for the car to reset the modem when it finally powers down all the electronics after sitting long enough. You may have a malfunctioning tower in your area that is causing this. I've had this happen a few times when I first got my current car, but it hasn't happened in a long time.

BTW, this occasionally happens with phones, too and quickly turning on/off airplane mode causes the phone to reset its connection.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-11-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

While logical, it seems that my phone (also ATT for years) has this problem maybe once a year, while the car has it once a week. Even if this is the cause, it seems to be a problem with the car that it cannot recover.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
While logical, it seems that my phone (also ATT for years) has this problem maybe once a year, while the car has it once a week. Even if this is the cause, it seems to be a problem with the car that it cannot recover.
That is very possible. As I said, I had this happen in my 2013 RS5 at the beginning. Since then I've had several firmware upgrades and my MMI unit has even been replaced and I switched from T-Mo to AT&T.

An interesting observation that I've made since I switched to AT&T is that the MMI does occasionally loose the connection. I see the Google logo go grey, but a couple of seconds later it recovers the connection, so it does feel like Audi fixed something in the MMI 3G+ to handle failed handovers, but maybe the issue is back in the newer MMI.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will update as needed for others that may experience this, but still having problems and it's scheduled in for dealer visit #2. I was told there is no MMI update available and it is a connection issue. However, after more time, the connection is fine (as indicated by the car) with a strong LTE connection.

Also, ejecting the SIM and reinserting has no effect, and does not appear to reset the system. It acquires signal, but never has a live connection. Only way to reset is to let the car sit off for >30 minutes.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Btw: I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but where is the SIM card slot? The dealer had already installed and I forgot to ask. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
I will update as needed for others that may experience this, but still having problems and it's scheduled in for dealer visit #2. I was told there is no MMI update available and it is a connection issue. However, after more time, the connection is fine (as indicated by the car) with a strong LTE connection.

Also, ejecting the SIM and reinserting has no effect, and does not appear to reset the system. It acquires signal, but never has a live connection. Only way to reset is to let the car sit off for >30 minutes.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
where is the SIM card slot?
Glove box.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

More specifically, in between the SD card slots on the MMI unit. It should have a label SIM above it.

Press the same card in a bit and it should pop out.

Quick Reply: AudiConnect Disconnect