TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

AWD clutch maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD clutch maintenance question

Decided not to get audi care for new 2018 TT roadster. A member turned me on to ecs tuning for oil change kits awsome. They also have an inexpensive presdure bleader to change out bresk fluid. Trans filter and fluid seems straight up. Have to dig more and see if audi wants a flush or drain replace filiet snd fill.

so here is the issue the haldex or AWD clutch fluid change at 30k miles.

i looked on ecs tuning and found the filter wrench and the tube of oil and the filter but it had a red thumbs down stating not for my car. Said it was only for Mk1 not Mk3.

so what is procedure audi maintenance 2018 says "AWD clutch change fluid 30k , tt"

looked. Ant find anything on it.

if anyone has knowledge - oil type and procedure.
busy till tuesday will give ecs tuning a call of i dont get a reply.

thanks in advance.
​​​​​​​jg
Old 04-16-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

I've also tried to dig into this and haven't had much luck. I remember seeing with the Mk1 that you basically drained the fluid out the bottom (with the funky wrench), and filled it back up through the drain. The Haldex unit in the Mk3 is a new design (Gen 5 Haldex with much improved actuation time, a few threads on that), so my guess is that it's a bit different of a procedure and the aftermarketers haven't gotten to catch up.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I contacted ecs tuning and they could not provide any info. Then i found the audi maintance forms for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 15 thtu 17 list haldex, 18 lists AWD coupling. Looked on audi online parts for 2017 for rear axle( 2018 did not have rear axle in choices) part #Ocq 525207 is for what is called control unit mounts right on front of differential. I then went back to ecstuning and searched the part number and ecs has stock , at the bottom of description where it has fitment it lists 15 , 26, 17, and 18. So on 18 it is haldex and same unit is for all the mk3's.

still searching for part number of the 14 and lower. To verify if sane of different unit mk2.

that odd shaped wrench is for the filter on the mk1's.

been looking to see if a service manual is available.

does anyone have experience with these downloadable pdf service manuals???

i saw one on site called factory-manuals.
. Com 79.99 you provide vin and in two days you get factoty pdf service for your specific vin.

not sure about it though gonna look into it more. Place supposidly in dubi. Suspicious!!

still looking.

​​​​​​​are their any audi tech's on here that could provide direction??
Old 04-19-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by macaddict111
I've also tried to dig into this and haven't had much luck. I remember seeing with the Mk1 that you basically drained the fluid out the bottom (with the funky wrench), and filled it back up through the drain. The Haldex unit in the Mk3 is a new design (Gen 5 Haldex with much improved actuation time, a few threads on that), so my guess is that it's a bit different of a procedure and the aftermarketers haven't gotten to catch up.
macaddict111
this is what I got from mike barkis at ecstuning. he put the parts into a cart on their web site the drain/fill plug was quantity of 2. so I believe without looking that their is a drain and a fill plug. and should be simple : drain replace plug, remove fill plug, pump in 655 ml's ( I have a pump that attaches to top of bottle) replace fill plug . DONE. google " Volvo haldex gen 5" their is a video of a guy doing maint. he removes the elect - hyd pump to drain and cleans the pump inlet strainer. prob not a bad idea to do this every other change every 6 years. so I ordered the oil and 2 plugs for haldex and an oil change kit 6 btl. Castroledge pro 5-40 an audi filter and a net oil drain plug for $ 107 delivered. I am thinking engine oil change 140. and haldex change 200 thinking I am saving like 250 on that 3 year service.

Hello Joe.
For the new MK3 TT 5th gen haldex units, per the Audi service interval they recommend fluid change every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Also, 5th gen haldex doesn't have a filter that is changeable. I'm sure there is an internal filter of some sort, but there isn't a part number for it.

Fluid - ES512220 (Comes in 850mL bottle, takes 655mL of fluid)
Drain/fill plug - ES469442 parts are in link below Mike B

Thanks,

Old 04-20-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info nethinim. There's no funky OEM wrench needed for this one? I think I would let my dealer handle this if the pump actually needs to come out... Yeesh.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info nethinim. There's no funky OEM wrench needed for this one? I think I would let my dealer handle this if the pump actually needs to come out... Yeesh.
no no funky wrench, it is not called for to pull the pump, looks like easy 2 screws, from the Volvo vids I have looked at the pump screen gets gunky. audi does not state to be done then dealer wont do it.. the haldex is nothing but a wet clutch and material does come off clutch discs, now even though ecs said audi does not specify a filter is their, their could be a filter their. at some point I wil get underneath and look. watch this you tube "servicing haldex gen 5 on a Volvo" the guy backs car up on wooden ramps. not audi but gives you idea. because on the vids I have looked at and the crud that builds up in the haldex system I just fee itsl prudent to pull pump and check/clean pump inlet screen.
many more vids on Volvo haldex. when I get under their ill take pictures but that wont be for months, some day when I am bored
Old 04-20-2018, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

There is no maintenance filter to change on gen 5, but that certainly doesn't mean the internal screen shouldn't be cleaned.

FYI there are some differences from the Volvo version and the Audi version......which seems odd but it's true. It is not an identical unit, and it doesn't share every part. For example, the engagement pump is no the same between the two brands....weird, I know.

That said.....I just got my car back today from having the engagement pump replaced, fluid changed, etc under warranty after a complete failure at 27,000 miles. Friend had the same thing happen to his S3 at 30,000 miles. This is becoming a very frequent failure, so much now that there is a repair service kit with updated parts to fix the failing AWD systems.

You'll note how this is very different from Volvo....you can't even find a mention of a failure with a Gen 5 Volvo Haldex car online, and they are all over the VW/Audi websites. Weird. Thankfully many seem to fail while still under warranty, and the entire repair is thankfully not a bazillion dollars when out of warranty.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Literally all the people complaining about Haldex failures or gunk in their filter are guys who have modded/over-modded their cars and somehow expect a major part of the drivetrain to not fail with twice the stress it was designed for... Seems dumb to me.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Literally all the people complaining about Haldex failures or gunk in their filter are guys who have modded/over-modded their cars and somehow expect a major part of the drivetrain to not fail with twice the stress it was designed for... Seems dumb to me.
agree, I personally don't go for mods their is a potential to void warrenty,. I have 2016 f150 forums are loaded with leveling, lifting, tuning, CAI, cat back or open exhaust. but ford specifically states that only what was put on at factory is warranted, and dealers were notified to look for system mods if a truck was bought in for a "warranty failure" that the mod could be widely construed to have played a part in the component failure, claim denied ( your lift kit caused the front 4wd hubs and transfer case to fail claim denied). mfg's are looking for excuses to deny warranty claims. even the warranty companies, I was looking at fidelity (offered by most audi dealers) but customer reviews were laced with reports that basically stated where fidelity took the stance " the failed part is a covered part/component, but the part that caused the failure is not a covered component, warranty claim denied" so it would be foolish to modify a vehicle in warranty, my 2 cents.

my whole purpose/position since the TT will be a low milage vehicle audi care is cost prohibitive especially after 4yrs 50k up to 10yr/100k, is to gather all necessary information including procedures and parts/supplies/components to assure that akl the mfg required maintenance is completed as per mfg. literature. so that if a failure occurs during the mfg. warranty or the car insurance mechanical breakdown coverage up to 7 yr 100k no dealer can say "let me see your maintenance records."

one of my kids has a 2012 370z told him at a min get oil changed 1 a year. I left it at that he could afford to have someone do it . well in 45K he changed oil 2x and never checks oil level he just drives it. well at 46K he developed a miss in #1 nissans powertrain warranty is 60k, I go look at it and have to put 3 qts of oil in it to get it on the stick. sure enough missing . kid takes it to dealer. #1 plug oil fouled, finger in oil fil hole comes out sludge. mech stated #1 oil control ring gunked up /stuck. service writer wants to see maint records they have record of 1 and one was done somewhere else. long story short long block 15K dealer wont even go to Nissan NO RECORDS, insurance MBC they say same thing sorry. besides the oil control ring which I believe I got un stuck (long story) because it was so low on oil the intake valve guide #1 cyl was fried. bottom line took it to a Z specialty shop called J-TUNE performance they got a used engine out of a wrecked infinity G37 for 2500 and they charged 2500 to swap the engines. that was 2 years ago and every couple months I go out and check the kids oil level.

if he would have had record of 4 oil changes in stead of 1 the dealer would have went to Nissan. so this is all about not having it cost me an arm and a leg to perform maintenance, I am 63 but I refuse to pay 140-150 for an oil change. now my crown vic 160k mi and my merc marquis 100k never changed tranny fluid and don't intend to. any more cars last failure free much longer. but the TT is not a chevy and I will have the maint records to show if a failure ever occurs.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to say that.....Audi now has "Haldex pump repair KIT" because the failures are so common...... My car had the pump quit at 30K and now have the updated repair parts along with new oil.

Your point is well taken on modded cars and drivetrain failures. The current Gen V Haldex pump failure occurs repeatedly on un-modified cars.

Quick Reply: AWD clutch maintenance question