TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Brakes

I was told by the Audi service guy I need new brakes for the front. Sadly, only 24K miles on a 2016 TTS
Do you think I need to go to the dealer or can I use a good mechanic (using Audi parts, of course).
Bob
Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I used to change my own brake pads up until my past decade's "Audi phase", so it's really not that difficult. However I stopped as it's not really that expensive to have the dealership do it and then it's a matter of warranty record that they did so should there be any issues down the road.

It's of course not the mileage but how much and how hard you use your brakes. And the front brakes bear more of the load (hence larger front calipers).

Originally Posted by Gbob
I was told by the Audi service guy I need new brakes for the front. Sadly, only 24K miles on a 2016 TTS
Do you think I need to go to the dealer or can I use a good mechanic (using Audi parts, of course).
Bob
Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Huey,

I don't know if I can post prices, but Audi quoted more than 1K for front brakes and rotors. Sounds a bit steep.
B
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Consider the source. Use a good local mechanic over the "stealership". The warranty is not affected in any way. Keep receipts.

Look for some sort of Audi experience. I work with a performance shop, but there are Euro car mechanics around too if needed.

And if you really do need rotors with your pads, a good mechanic can provide you with good options.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DissenTTS
Consider the source. Use a good local mechanic over the "stealership". .
Why the snarky "stealership" remark when referring to the local Audi dealer? Do you even know them? How unfair it is to throw words like that around so callously.

Last edited by VGM911; 01-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

After 40+ years of experience using dealerships in the New York Area, I can honestly say I have been taken advantage of more times than I care to remember.
That is why I have a mechanic I have used for the past 30 years, who I know is competent and honest.
Of course, most of this is before owing Audi's. And knowing how intricate these cars are, I wanted to ask the question of brake change and whether or not there are some new tech issues that makes using Audi preferable over a local mechanic.
B
Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
Why the snarky "stealership" remark when referring to the local Audi dealer? Do you even know them? How unfair it is to throw words like that around so callously.
Stealerships have long earned being painted with a broad brushstroke. I won't be apologizing for their well deserved nickname. (I was once employed by a stealer, but that's another story.)

To clarify. I would have any warranty work done by the stealer because...well that's obvious. For any maintenance, I would find a reputable mechanic who would most assuredly charge a lower rate, and provide you with options which may result in better performance, or lower part costs.

Some folks use the stealer because they don't know any better, don't have time to find an alternative, or just like the sense of comfort.

Choices and opinions differ.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

At a glance that does appear steep although dealership prices can vary by region. Of course premium brands bring premium prices (Benz and Porsche maintenance costs come readily to mind). I presume pads, rotors and brake fluid flush for that price. Do indeed look around and of course compare apples to apples in terms of part quality if going independent.

Pads and rotors are considered consumables so no direct warranty consideration but if say a poor indy replacement were to adversely effect something else there could be a related warranty denial. Just something to consider.

Unusual that you would need new rotors unless you've driven/tracked it hard or been in some very salty or other corrosive environments. Sometimes a less costly alternative is "turning" the rotors on a lathe to get a renewed flat and gouge-free surface, provided there is enough material to remain within spec's.

Thanks Huey,

I don't know if I can post prices, but Audi quoted more than 1K for front brakes and rotors. Sounds a bit steep.
B
Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Huey,
That is the answer I was looking for.
My indy mechanic is going to use Audi parts, or at least I told him so. Still waiting for a response.
Another reason I am skeptical of dealers is that I once brought my van to a Ford dealer for complete brake replacement. Afterward, I found the van pulling to the side. The dealer's response: Your van must have been in an accident and the frame bent.
When I went to my indy mechanic, he said they never replaced the rotors, just the pads, no brake flush, nothing but a hack job. He became my go to mechanic for 30+years.
That is why I would like to avoid 'stealerships'. Sorry, to those who find it disagreeable, but they certainly did steal my money and trust.
It isn't the money, but having the job done to spec, and NYS dealers just don't seem to be ones to trust.
B
Old 01-12-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

My indy mechanic is going to use Audi parts, or at least I told him so. Still waiting for a response.
B
The list/dealer price of the parts is $720 but they can be had for less - see https://www.audiusaparts.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat
If it were me, I would buy the parts to avoid any markup from your mechanic.
The following users liked this post:
J. Patterson (01-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Brakes