TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Buying TTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying TTS questions

Hi. I've been lurking and reading your comments about the TTS in particular as I research buying one soon. I read about 25 pages of comments and remember some of the content that pertains to decision points, but don't remember all the comments of course and probably wouldn't find them again if i was to search.
anyway...

I do have a few questions to ask the group to gain perspective and gather real world data from owners:

I'm looking to buy a low mileage 16 or 17 model. No track, but will have some mountain road use (tho i live in FL). I also have a Miata for use. My idea is to have 2 fun cars rather than a large sedan or coupe.

1. Buying new over CPO. A recently sold 2017 CPO with 2k miles was listed at $48k. I talked to a dealer yesterday about a "new" 2017 and it would be around $56k.

I'm having difficulty seeing why I would buy new over CPO (except if I wanted a very specific car spec of course). With CPO you get the depreciation baked in and the longer warranty. The risk is having to "settle" for a color or having to travel to purchase I guess. Am I missing a point to consider? The delta cost could go into tinting windows and paint protection etc in my mind.

2. 20 inch wheel / tire. I see some/many comments here that the ride can be rough even on good roads and of course the danger of damage. Yet, it seems most cars for sale have them on.
Appreciate any comments on your experiences with the 19s or 20s.
Also. has anyone ever asked the dealer to swap out at the time of purchase? Or to opt out of the option, purchase your own wheels and have them installed?
I think i found an input that the stock wheel is: 9Jx20 et 52....is that correct?

3. Protective paint film. I think i'll want this on the front, hood, and doors. Any comments welcomed as to brand, experiences etc. I think I read that it yellows pretty quick on the white paint. Any comments welcomed on that. I saw a Glacier white at a dealer yesterday and was shocked at how great it looked in real life so have added that color to the list.

Thanks for any help. It will be tough pushing the Miata out of the garage, but i want this car to be worth the heartache.

cheers, Mike
Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

1. If you want a great deal (maybe you can do better...) on the other side of the country... I returned my 2017 TTS with 1,590 miles on the clock two months or so ago. The retail price was $60,325 and it also has Clear Bra on the front/half hood. Audi Beaverton is selling it for $47,991 CPO at this time. I decided I loved the TT so much, after 8 months (and probably 6 outings) I decided to order a TT-RS. It was a stupid financial move, but I really loved the TT format. I did a careful break-in. This TTS is unbelievably immaculate, and someone will walk away with a 'new car smell' car without having to pay the 30% depreciation. I only mention it to you, since it is a killer deal for someone who wants a low mileage car, and a TTS (Glacier White, Black Optic, Red Cal, tech package, B&O, Nappa). It is basically new, without the new price. Maybe you could work with them on price/shipping. I don't have a stake in the outcome of that car, I just thought you might like to know.

2. I put on 19" Hartmann Reps, which I am transferring to the TT RS. More details on my thread. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...optic-2913608/

3. On that TTS, I did the 3M clear bra on half the hood and bumpers/fenders, door edges. Looked great.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 01-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 AM
isb
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had Xpel Ultimate installed by Clear Auto Bra Michigan - these guys are amazing. Full hood (tucked under), Front, headlights, A-pillars and front roof, fenders and skirts.

They recommended using the polish that Xpel sells, but said that other polishes are fine provided they don't include any dye (which can cause the film to yellow).

Edit: Given the choices you listed, I would go CPO in a heartbeat, particularly if you can get one with known (good) history, like BlackOptic's. Good excuse for a fun road trip!

Last edited by isb; 01-10-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

CPO is a no-brainer if you are satisfied with the option/color combos you have found on lots. I have 1 of 15 Audi Design Select cars in NA, so I was forced into ordering what I wanted....but a low-mileage CPO saves a notable amount of money AND includes a better/longer warranty and often has special/subsidized finance rates as well. As far as 20" wheels go, only you can decide if you like the ride quality, but the reason they are ordered almost exclusively this way is because of the look. The designs are very attractive, and it just fills out the wheel wells and gives the car an even more aggressive look. However the 19" wheel is really the more practical choice...but this car probably isn't really about practical, it's about the looks. This TT is by far the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the inputs...I grew up just south of Detroit and never made it to Hell. One day hope to get to Paradise, MI tho!!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
CPO is a no-brainer if you are satisfied with the option/color combos you have found on lots. I have 1 of 15 Audi Design Select cars in NA, so I was forced into ordering what I wanted....but a low-mileage CPO saves a notable amount of money AND includes a better/longer warranty and often has special/subsidized finance rates as well. As far as 20" wheels go, only you can decide if you like the ride quality, but the reason they are ordered almost exclusively this way is because of the look. The designs are very attractive, and it just fills out the wheel wells and gives the car an even more aggressive look. However the 19" wheel is really the more practical choice...but this car probably isn't really about practical, it's about the looks. This TT is by far the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.
Thanks farmerjones. i've enjoyed your great inputs on other threads. your last comment is great to hear...as are those that echo it. I've really struggled with this choice since i have a Miata for fun, curvy roads, why get a car just a tad bigger. But i can't resist the looks, the back seat is big enough for my needs (grandson age 9) and I am tired of driving an Accord for the other ride. The TTS is just so nice at a great price point, fills all the squares.

I keep trying to talk myself out of it, but keep coming back to the TTS
Old 01-10-2018, 05:47 PM
isb
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redcarlover
thanks for the inputs...I grew up just south of Detroit and never made it to Hell. One day hope to get to Paradise, MI tho!!
Driving to work I take Noah Rd into Hell and Darwin Rd out of it. It’s opposite coming home. All very confusing! There are actually some nice twisty driving roads around here, unlike most of SE MI. We are in the middle of a state park on a chain of lakes with over 20 miles of excellent mountain bike trails, so it seems like paradise to us. We visited Paradise in da UP mnay years ago on a circle lake tour. It’s really beautiful, and worth the visit. They actually get a lot more visitors for snowmobiling in the winter than in the summer.I have the 20” wheels with summer tires for the summer, and 18” with snow tires on now. The extra side wall on the 18’s certainly makes for a more comfortable ride, and narrower snow tires are a fair bit quieter than the Pirelli’s. It still corners very well with the 18’s, but not quite as crisply as with the 20’s.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

It's actually great that you're keeping your Miata. Far easier, far more options and far less expensive to mod.

And you'll enjoy the way the pneumatic bolsters of the TTS hug you every time you're ready for a more spirited drive.

edit: re: looks: In the Audizine "got rid of my TT-RS" thread we were discussing that the TT has a not so good direct side view, particularly the rear portion. But then as cited most all cars have some bad angle. On the plus side I like the rear quarter view which is good as it's most often seen walking up to drive. And in just replying to another thread I was reminded what a great low-front view it has!

Originally Posted by Redcarlover
Thanks farmerjones. i've enjoyed your great inputs on other threads. your last comment is great to hear...as are those that echo it. I've really struggled with this choice since i have a Miata for fun, curvy roads, why get a car just a tad bigger. But i can't resist the looks, the back seat is big enough for my needs (grandson age 9) and I am tired of driving an Accord for the other ride. The TTS is just so nice at a great price point, fills all the squares.

I keep trying to talk myself out of it, but keep coming back to the TTS
Attached Images  

Last edited by Huey52; 01-11-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought a CPO Boxster S in NC back in 2012. I still have it and love it. I drove it back home to Canada after our golf trip. I recommend extending your search area and to buy CPO. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After tons of shopping I bought a spotless 17 CPO TT with 8000 miles for $37k. With the money I saved from new, I bought approx $5 k in mods. Car should be 100% modded by springtime. That gives me 90k miles to enjoy it worry free. In ‘22 I’m either replacing it with a $45k TTRS or keeping it and buying an 07-08 Elise. At least that’s the plan. It’s not a Honda, if you’re keeping it past warranty, go CPO.

Quick Reply: Buying TTS questions