TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Can you display Waze on the 2016 TT virtual dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Can you display Waze on the 2016 TT virtual dash?

I'm about to buy my fourth TT this year and it will probably be a 2016 as a flood of low mileage 2016 TTs are coming off lease in 2019. However, the smartphone interface with Apple Carplay was only included in the technology package starting in 2017. My only interest in Carplay at this time is to get Waze displayed on the dash screen and TT posts I've read seem to indicate that you must have Carplay to do so. So is it possible to display Waze on the virtual dash of a 2016 TT without Carplay? I see on the Audi Germany web site that you can install the smartphone interface on a 2016 TT for 250 Euros but can't find this mentioned in the Audi USA site. Anyone done this to their 2016?

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 12-15-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Doesn't the Audi smart phone interface just allow you to use Apple Car Play or Android Auto? I don't think it allows you to use your smartphone directly... you need to use one of those two interfaces.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

For android, you need to have android auto installed. Then you simply plug your phone in to your car via USB cable, and add your car to android auto when prompted on your phone. If Waze is installed, on the directions tab, choose Waze as your default application.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I can tell you I was really excited to see Waze able to use in the dash display. I was disappointed in the reality of it. It only allows for the small speedo and tach in the corners. I wanted to be able to put it on the side and keep the central tach display....doesn't work that way. I've gone back to using my https://www.audiphoneholder.com and displaying Waze on my phone.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That would be fine with me

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
I can tell you I was really excited to see Waze able to use in the dash display. I was disappointed in the reality of it. It only allows for the small speedo and tach in the corners. I wanted to be able to put it on the side and keep the central tach display....doesn't work that way. I've gone back to using my https://www.audiphoneholder.com and displaying Waze on my phone.
Small speedo is OK and it is very rare that I use the tach. I have that phone holder in my Mk 2. How does it attach in the Mk 3 given there is a display in the middle of the vent? I assume there is a wire to the vent display? In the Mk 2, the holder uses complete circles so a wire could not pass through. On the Mk 3 does it have a gap in the circle for the wire or is the wire easy to unplug from the vent? Doing what you did has always been my Plan B of I can't get WAZE on the dash.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Small speedo is OK and it is very rare that I use the tach. I have that phone holder in my Mk 2. How does it attach in the Mk 3 given there is a display in the middle of the vent? I assume there is a wire to the vent display? In the Mk 2, the holder uses complete circles so a wire could not pass through. On the Mk 3 does it have a gap in the circle for the wire or is the wire easy to unplug from the vent? Doing what you did has always been my Plan B of I can't get WAZE on the dash.

It goes between them...really cool and neat...looks factory.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Installation

It goes between them...really cool and neat...looks factory.
You pull out 2 vents, install the mount and push the vents back in?
Old 12-16-2018, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

you have to pop out the buttons to be able to remove the vents, but basically you are right.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nebuul
you have to pop out the buttons to be able to remove the vents, but basically you are right.

I'm not sure what buttons Nebuul is referring to but I just pulled out the two vents and it was very easy....even for a handicapped person with reduced hand strength.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Defrost button (tool provided)

I'm not sure what buttons Nebuul is referring to but I just pulled out the two vents and it was very easy....even for a handicapped person with reduced hand strength.

Quick Reply: Can you display Waze on the 2016 TT virtual dash?