TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

To Cancel Audi Connect or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

That's an excellent workaround.

"FWIW, my AT&T just ended, and I find that if I use the phone as a mobile hotspot for the car (2016 - no carplay/android auto), everything works just fine. Now if I can just get it to automagically turn on the hotspot when the bluetooth connects, it would be perfect."

Last edited by Huey52; 09-24-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebuul
This is wrong. Android auto is very controllable from the steering wheel.
I was referring to the ability to seemly switch between functions of the car using the steering wheel control, never having to pair or connect....the way I can use in-car google search to find a phone number and then dial it without ever taking my hands off the wheel, or impute destinations to the nave from a search. Yes, AA is controllable from the wheel, but not in the integrated fashion the MMI offers. I just think people fail to realize just exactly what MMI is capable of doing because they never take the time to learn the system. Again, AA is a very worthy substitute, but I enjoy the additional functionality/integration MMI offers me. Clearly many people could care less. I used my finds CarPlay system for a few days....hated it compared to MMI 95% of the time.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I was referring to the ability to seemly switch between functions of the car using the steering wheel control, never having to pair or connect....the way I can use in-car google search to find a phone number and then dial it without ever taking my hands off the wheel, or impute destinations to the nave from a search. Yes, AA is controllable from the wheel, but not in the integrated fashion the MMI offers. I just think people fail to realize just exactly what MMI is capable of doing because they never take the time to learn the system. Again, AA is a very worthy substitute, but I enjoy the additional functionality/integration MMI offers me. Clearly many people could care less. I used my finds CarPlay system for a few days....hated it compared to MMI 95% of the time.
I'm telling you that I only control the system from my steering wheel. The only thing I have to do is plug in a usb cable when I start up my car, and I do that anyway to keep my phone charged. I am wondering if something is mis-configured in your setup. For example, no matter what screen you are on, if you press and hold the speak button, Google assistant activates.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nebuul
I'm telling you that I only control the system from my steering wheel. The only thing I have to do is plug in a usb cable when I start up my car, and I do that anyway to keep my phone charged. I am wondering if something is mis-configured in your setup. For example, no matter what screen you are on, if you press and hold the speak button, Google assistant activates.
Yes I understand what you are saying....but I'm not making my point clear to you I guess. There are things MMI can do that AA can NOT do view voice or using the steering wheel control. I find these features very helpful and are absent from AA. That's why I'm trying to say. For example, you can not use AA to search and dial a phone number in the same hands-free manner as with MMI. I was just pointing that out...it's a negligible difference to most I guess but something I find important and enjoy. My AudiConnect is only $10/month so I feel it's more reasonable in price than model year 17 owners must pay. Like I said, thankfully AA/CarPlay are excellent FREE alternatives that do a majority of what MMI does (and sometimes better).
Old 09-25-2018, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Yes I understand what you are saying....but I'm not making my point clear to you I guess. There are things MMI can do that AA can NOT do view voice or using the steering wheel control. I find these features very helpful and are absent from AA. That's why I'm trying to say. For example, you can not use AA to search and dial a phone number in the same hands-free manner as with MMI. I was just pointing that out...it's a negligible difference to most I guess but something I find important and enjoy. My AudiConnect is only $10/month so I feel it's more reasonable in price than model year 17 owners must pay. Like I said, thankfully AA/CarPlay are excellent FREE alternatives that do a majority of what MMI does (and sometimes better).
How did you get this at $10/month? Mine is about to expire and it's $20/month.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's the cost for a 2016 Audi with VirtualCockpit, it got more expensive the following year. I just got lucky I guess...
Old 09-25-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Just checked my potential renewal. I do have an existing AT&T Cell plan so $10 per month.

Otherwise $20 for Audi "30 days Auto Renew" plans.

Last edited by Huey52; 09-25-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mines just expired few days ago. I didn't renew though since i primarily use AA for Waze. Google maps through MMI is definitely nice but for me, I load up Waze majority of the time when I'm driving for directions and watch out for popos 😜

My primary setup with waze on VC and JB4 gauges on phone

Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daves4
FWIW, my AT&T just ended, and I find that if I use the phone as a mobile hotspot for the car (2016 - no carplay/android auto), everything works just fine. Now if I can just get it to automagically turn on the hotspot when the bluetooth connects, it would be perfect.
which phone? If android, you should be able to get one of those NFC tags that you can program tasks that when you tap it, it can automatically turn on bluetooth (if off) or turn on hotspot.
Not sure on iphones though.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Just checked my potential renewal. I do have an existing AT&T Cell plan so $10 per month.

Otherwise $20 for Audi "30 days Auto Renew" plans.
I have AT&T as well. Did you get the renewal through Audi with your AT&T account info, or add it as a device to your existing AT&T plan?

Quick Reply: To Cancel Audi Connect or not?