TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Car & Driver does track testing on the RS3 and TTRS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by McTTRS
For those that might like to check out the full results without a copy of the Mag, check out the results.
Here is the current URL to the 2018 results.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Motor Trend also cement the CC brakes on their TT RS were unable to stop the car, fading bad so badly if prohibited finding the actual performance possibilities because they couldn't count on the brakes to stop them. WHAT?!?!? How in the world could an RS car have CC brakes that are a complete fail?!? Did they not ever track these cars? CC are supposed to be unflappable, and look the the R8 CC performance. This appears to be just a price-point engineered CC setup up so you can brake you have them. And they have been pulled as an option on the RS3, correct, so what about the TT RS? Audi is doing some real damage to their track cred by offering such terrible brakes and charging a premium for them, all while trying to expand the RS lineup. Disappointing.
I don't think they are damaging their credibility. Everyone I know who tracks their car knows never to go with CC brakes, they are not good options for someone who tracks often. These aren't the same CCs you see on F1 cars. This isn't Audi specific, I wouldn't want them even on a P-car.

The CCs on these cars are great for street driving: quiet, and don't produce a lot of brake dust. Rotors last a long time in street use as long as you don't get a rock chip. They just cost too much when you track the car and the improvement in braking you get with much more expensive, different composition and pad compound CC setups. It doesn't make sense for the vast majority at a track unless you just like burning money.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ormandj
I don't think they are damaging their credibility. Everyone I know who tracks their car knows never to go with CC brakes, they are not good options for someone who tracks often. These aren't the same CCs you see on F1 cars. This isn't Audi specific, I wouldn't want them even on a P-car.

The CCs on these cars are great for street driving: quiet, and don't produce a lot of brake dust. Rotors last a long time in street use as long as you don't get a rock chip. They just cost too much when you track the car and the improvement in braking you get with much more expensive, different composition and pad compound CC setups. It doesn't make sense for the vast majority at a track unless you just like burning money.
While everything you say is true, I doubt they had much choice. All the cars that Audi supplies reviewers have CC brakes from what I have seen in reviews. While I like you would have preferred that they had used iron brakes, I do not blame them for using what was supplied by Audi. If you want to blame someone, perhaps Audi should be the target of your ire.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McTTRS
While everything you say is true, I doubt they had much choice. All the cars that Audi supplies reviewers have CC brakes from what I have seen in reviews. While I like you would have preferred that they had used iron brakes, I do not blame them for using what was supplied by Audi. If you want to blame someone, perhaps Audi should be the target of your ire.
Oh I'm not being anyone, and I get the way the reviews go. I think they reviews are very fair, I'm not upset at all by them. I'm sinply stating it isn't hurting Audi's credibility as much as was claimed, because those of us who track just roll our eyes when we see the loaners have CC brakes.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

I was surprised that C&D had no negative comments on the TTRS CC brakes as other magazine reviews did. There was a post on one of the Mk 3 boards a few months ago by a new TTRS owner whose CC brakes were literally trashed and had to be replaced after one track day. Is it possibly a quality control issue? If I paid that much for a worthless, and expensive to replace, option I'd be very pissed. IMO, anything on any RS should be track-worthy.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:40 AM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was shopping for a Cayman GT4 I came across info that said the OEM carbon ceramic rotor pads are street only. For track duty they should be swapped to another compound, then replaced with OEM when going back to street. I wonder if the RS pads that come with the CC rotors aren't really track rated.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't think they are damaging their credibility. Everyone I know who tracks their car knows never to go with CC brakes, they are not good options for someone who tracks often.
I'd offer up that RS cars are supposed to be track-ready, the highest level of performance Audi offers. If they have brakes that can't handle a single lap or even a track day then, yeah....I'd say that's damage to Audi's reputation. Do you see M-cars or AMG or other performance-oriented brands have trouble with brakes like these cars? No. Think that kicks sand in the face of the Audi Sport brand? 100% yes. Their CC brakes are a fail on the MQB platform. One poster here was told after a single track day he needs $20,000 of new brake parts on his new TT RS. You don't think that's an embarrassment to Audi?

As far as CC on the track not being good....what the heck are they made for?!?! CC brakes are fade-free and meant for abusive, repeated stops....exactly what a track offers. I tracked a R8 V10 Plus at the Audi Drive Experience (along with 12 other cars) all afternoon, and the CC brakes are phenomenal, one of the most commented aspects of the car by the drivers. No steel brakes could ever do what CC brakes can do. In fact, on rain delay, the instructors and I had a large discussion about CC brakes and their track performance. Try and tell a pro driver that CC brakes aren't meant for the track....the entire reason they exist is FOR the track.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I'd offer up that RS cars are supposed to be track-ready, the highest level of performance Audi offers. If they have brakes that can't handle a single lap or even a track day then, yeah....I'd say that's damage to Audi's reputation. Do you see M-cars or AMG or other performance-oriented brands have trouble with brakes like these cars? No. Think that kicks sand in the face of the Audi Sport brand? 100% yes. Their CC brakes are a fail on the MQB platform. One poster here was told after a single track day he needs $20,000 of new brake parts on his new TT RS. You don't think that's an embarrassment to Audi?

As far as CC on the track not being good....what the heck are they made for?!?! CC brakes are fade-free and meant for abusive, repeated stops....exactly what a track offers. I tracked a R8 V10 Plus at the Audi Drive Experience (along with 12 other cars) all afternoon, and the CC brakes are phenomenal, one of the most commented aspects of the car by the drivers. No steel brakes could ever do what CC brakes can do. In fact, on rain delay, the instructors and I had a large discussion about CC brakes and their track performance. Try and tell a pro driver that CC brakes aren't meant for the track....the entire reason they exist is FOR the track.
I already responded to most of your questions in my initial post(s). There's no need to get defensive. F1 car CC brakes are not the same as production car CC brakes. I'll exit stage right on this one, but unless you're paying F1 or other top tier motorsport money, CC brakes are not what you want when you track you car often. The price/performance isn't there. They are great for street driving with low brake dust, as long as you don't get hit by a rock.

I doubt any driving you did at the Audi Driving Experience event is beyond a first level HPDE event, you'll barely be touching the performance evelope of these cars. I've been to a few, you are lucky to push 6/10ths or 7/10s if you get lucky on the instructor. Go push those cars truly hard and get ready for the brake bills. There's a reason everyone switches to iron rotors

Last edited by ormandj; 10-04-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Go push those cars truly hard and get ready for the brake bills. There's a reason everyone switches to iron rotors
You really have no idea what you are talking about. You clearly have no idea of the type of driving permitted at the Audi Driving Experience. You are free to push the car to 10/10, and drivers either did or the instructors did. All afternoon, and these cars have thousands of track miles on them

In our CC discussion I specifically asked how they held up where the cars live at the track, every mile being tracked. They mentioned that Audi has never replaced pads or CC rotors on any of the track cars since the program's inception. EVERY car there has CC. Audi estimates CC rotors will last the life of the car.

Everyone switches to iron rotors? Really? So if you have Porsche 911, M5, E64, Vanquish you switch your CC brakes to iron because they are better?

I have no idea what you are trying to prove or what opinion nonsense you are trying to push off as fact. Good luck finding another person to share you view. If you aren't going to add constructively to the conversation at hand, please don't join in.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Not to get into the fray, but I was at a Audi Club track day this past weekend, and two of the GT4 owners/drivers explicitly said that "most folks" wanted/preferred iron rotors. We didn't get into it, but I assume replacement costs was one of the primary reasons. Not preferring CC seems to be a thread. (They did mention that they'd prefer to spend their money on premium brake fluid.)

Hey. Interesting thread, particularly as I have found a couple of "Dynamic Plus Package" 2018 TT RS's that seem to be languishing in a couple of dealers. The TT RS frenzy seems to have cooled, and the extra $6k for Dynamic Plus - with fixed springs and CC doesn't seem to be attracting buyers. I am wondering if there is an opportunity to move these cars off their lot for a discount. Now this discussion on CC, along with the lack of the wonderful mag suspension, makes me think Dynamic Plus isn't the way to go, regardless of the deal.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver does track testing on the RS3 and TTRS