TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

"Come on down!" "The Price Is Right"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Come on down!" "The Price Is Right"

Hi fellow members. I haven't seen a lot of references to prices here in the forums so I hope I'm not out of line by asking the following questions. Also, this is somewhat geared towards the Canadian market so forgive me if I'm boring our brothers & sisters to the south but do feel free to throw in your 2 cents worth - 10c in canadian

As a first time potential audi buyer, I, like everyone else, wants to get the best possible deal. I know that prices between invoice & MSRP vary by demographics, area & region so, for sure, shopping around amongst dealerships is essential. In my case, Audi has 9 dealerships in Toronto that are within 50km of the CBD.

But knowing how to get a discount is as much about education as it is mediation so I'm hoping you guys will be able to educate me here.

I have a bunch of questions:

Timing
When's a good time to buy? I've heard end of month is a good time but what about end of year? As in this year. Given we are prone to a fair amount of snow in winter, I'm looking to fulfill my order some time in December, thinking that a 3 month wait time for build & delivery will see me in my new TTS around early spring. Assuming of course, I don't have to get on some waiting list.

Discounts
I've read a lot about MSRP vs Invoice vs Dealer Holdback & Factory-to-Dealer incentives. Does it make sense to join a website like Carcostcanada or Unhaggle - to find out the dealer invoice price? I've heard the vast majority of these sites are actually lead generators for dealerships, giving away my precious information (email, postal code, & phone number) before I've even contacted a dealer. And what about those so-called "dealer invoice prices" - are they legit or just a starting point for negotiations? Am I going to save money by spending money up front even before I enter the showroom? It seems a trivial amount in comparison to what I'll be paying for the car but is it money spent wisely?

What about becoming an ACNA member? Would that make me eligible for a percentage discount off the MSRP?

Supply & Demand
Supply and demand seems to be another determining factor. I have to imagine the Audi TTS is a hot model at the moment and will sell at a higher percentage over dealer cost — and possibly over sticker price — than other models on the showroom floor that have been around awhile and is in steady supply. Are you experiencing this?

Oh & what about that small VW incident?
It was bound to come up right? Does anyone here think that Audi may discount some of their vehicles down the road as the fallout of the VW diesel scandal is fully realized or is that just wishful thinking?

Pricing & Current Quotes
I've gone through the online build process, one with Audi Canada and a couple with Toronto Dealerships. I won't mention any specific dealership by name here but here's what I'm seeing for what I want ...

MSRP: $61,900.00
Delivery: $ 2,095.00
Colours: $ 890.00
Options: $ 4,650.00 (include : Driver Comfort package ($1,400.00) | Red Brake Calipers ($400.00) | 680w B&O sound system ($950.00) | Navigation package ($1,800.00) | Federal AC Excise Tax ($100.00)
Admin: $ 499.00
Total: $70,034.00 (before Tax) - all prices Canadian dollars.

Finally, has anyone here bought a 2016 TTS in Canada and is willing to share what they paid for it?

A lot to digest here so looking forward to your insight and getting educated. And please include any tips/tricks for getting that price down when walking into a dealership. I want this to be a positive experience but don't want to pay a cent more than I have to.

Cheers.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

While you're waiting for a fellow Canadian to chime in, just some of my south o' the border comments:

Timing
Yes, the end of month does hold some value as salespeople/dealerships have monthly quotas. Same for end of year. I bought my A5 very near the end of December and it was a ghost town at the dealership which certainly helped set the "good deal" tone. But in this day of ready inter-dealership transfers and auctions you still have to be reasonable.

Discounts
Just about the time is got easy to find the invoice prices online it then got more difficult again. So the easiest rule of thumb is 6% below MSRP. And yes, with ACNA membership [of at least 6 months] you are assured of same. I got it on my currently ordered TTS.

Supply & Demand
This does enter into the equation. The lower supply vehicles tend to demand closer to MSRP. In some cases even above same. The TT/TTS is a bit of a niché vehicle. However, having said that Audi still wants to sell them and the buyer is still king.

Although Audi is part of the greater VW group I don't think this will have any impact at all.

Again, remember that you're the customer and at the end of the day they want to sell you a vehicle. Do your homework, which you're currently doing. And if one dealership is being unreasonable then just reserve your right to go somewhere else. If you're equally reasonable and prepared to move on it doesn't have to be a painful process.

All the best.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

2016 TTS Coupe Invoice Pricing is available at CarCost Canada

https://carcostcanada.com/Home/
Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree completely

Originally Posted by Huey52
While you're waiting for a fellow Canadian to chime in, just some of my south o' the border comments:

Timing
Yes, the end of month does hold some value as salespeople/dealerships have monthly quotas. Same for end of year. I bought my A5 very near the end of December and it was a ghost town at the dealership which certainly helped set the "good deal" tone. But in this day of ready inter-dealership transfers and auctions you still have to be reasonable.

Discounts
Just about the time is got easy to find the invoice prices online it then got more difficult again. So the easiest rule of thumb is 6% below MSRP. And yes, with ACNA membership [of at least 6 months] you are assured of same. I got it on my currently ordered TTS.

Supply & Demand
This does enter into the equation. The lower supply vehicles tend to demand closer to MSRP. In some cases even above same. The TT/TTS is a bit of a niché vehicle. However, having said that Audi still wants to sell them and the buyer is still king.

Although Audi is part of the greater VW group I don't think this will have any impact at all.

Again, remember that you're the customer and at the end of the day they want to sell you a vehicle. Do your homework, which you're currently doing. And if one dealership is being unreasonable then just reserve your right to go somewhere else. If you're equally reasonable and prepared to move on it doesn't have to be a painful process.

All the best.
Deals better than 6% off of MSRP seem very rare in the US irrespective of end of month, end of quarter, end of year quotas. EOM-good, EOQ - better, EOY - best. Got a steal on my CPO Mk 2 bought the week after Christmas $5K off of their asking price of $39K and $39K was the price listed in KBB and NADA.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
2016 TTS Coupe Invoice Pricing is available at CarCost Canada

https://carcostcanada.com/Home/
Interesting that they have 2016 TTS Invoice Pricing, but not 2016 TT Coupe.

Although I did not buy a TTS, I paid full MSRP for my 2016 TT the day they were released in Canada (July 31). I even paid the $500 "admin fee". I am a bad negotiator.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep it coming.

Here's an update ...

I believe it was me that prompted CarCostCanada to post/update the 2016 TTS model data.

"Hello Mick, Thank you for contacting us via Live Chat yesterday. Note; we have entered the Invoice Pricing and Incentives for the 2016 Audi TTS 2dr AWD Quatro Coupe 2.0T (S tronic) you were interested in."

You still have to become a CarCostCanada member ($29.95) to be able to access that data though & if I take Huey52's rule of thumb of 6% below MSRP to calc the dealers invoice price then I'm not sure if there's any value to paying for this data.

I contacted another third party that specializes in auto buying consultancy. They conduct independent market price studies to determine what the best prices are for all makes and models of vehicles. They sell this market price data, to car buyers to make the process simpler, eliminate the need for comparison shopping and help them to negotiate their best deal. I basically posed the same questions here and here's what they had to say from my initial contact and without me having to open my wallet ....

"I spoke with a few dealers and was informed this vehicle has a 3-4 month waiting period, and dealers don’t have anything in stock. Everything incoming is sold. The TTS is a new model, and dealers are being allocated 1 unit per month, maybe 2, based on volume. There are 8 Audi dealers in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). Of the ones we have dealt with, none are providing discounts on a vehicle that has limited allocation, with the exception of one. We’ve been offered a savings of $2385 + the administration charge of $399.00. If you’re interested in placing an order, I suggest you do it soon to ensure availability and spring delivery. I don’t think the VW scandal will have any bearing on the Audi reputation or pricing for that matter, and doubt Audi will provide any incentives on a limited production vehicle like the TT in the near future. The 2015 model year is almost over, and the Audi TT has only a $750 Cash incentive or a 1% interest reduction for its Audi Loyalty clients."

Like I said, I haven't purchased any data yet and would expect it to be more comprehensive and detailed than just the above but am seriously contemplating it. It might prove useful in any negotiations I undertake assuming one has the option to negotiate.

I continue to do my homework and will update this thread with my findings in due course. As SD_Dave mentions in another thread here ...
Originally Posted by SD_Dave
I know that buying a new model without info left me with a lot of unknowns and speculations - so let try and prevent that!
Knowledge is power and I'm sure I'm not the only one embarking on this adventure so hopefully this will help all
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default it's done

Hello again fellow TT fans, been awhile.

Apologies for resurrecting this outdated thread. However, after much research, deliberations with my better half & numerous negotiations with Audi Dealers in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), I'm happy to report that I've taken the plunge and ordered my first Audi, a TTS.

Haven't spied one on the roads here yet so perhaps I'm the first but then again, TO is a big place.

Was fortunate enough to be able to test drive a TT with an S-Line package as there just wasn't a TTS available anywhere. But with that drive, I was immediately sold!

I negotiated a reasonable 4.5% off MSRP, and given the low CAD vs the green back, some might say a great deal. Prices haven't risen here (yet).

Build is happening first week of April.

Now the wait & anticipation begins .... breath .... patience .... breath ...

With a little luck, I'll have my new ride just in time for the beginning of summer.

Seems I'm about to embark on a epic new journey & I'm pretty damn excited

Cheers for all the insightful info provided by you trailblazers in these threads.

btw. if I wanted to get a head start on reading the user manual does anyone know a url where I can download the TTS Canadian or NA version from?

Mick.

What's on order:

TTS - Nano Grey | Express Red Nappa Seats | Driver Comfort Package | Nav Package | B&O Sound System | Red Brake Calipers | Pneumatic side bolsters | 19"
Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice ride, congrats! I think my delivery was 4-5 weeks after build date.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the order Mickster, nicely optioned car.
Audi does not make Owners Manuals available online easily.
You can buy one here:

https://www.audi.techliterature.com/consumer/Home.aspx

When you get your VIN you can register here and view a manual online:

https://my.audi.com/content/ca/myaudi/en/home.html

You can track your order here:

MyAudi tracker - Welcome

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 04-02-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats!

I'm waiting to drive it before I purchase. Which dealer did you buy it from?

Quick Reply: "Come on down!" "The Price Is Right"