AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk3) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/)
-   -   Concerned about availability (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/concerned-about-availability-2971366/)

J-Fly 04-28-2019 07:18 PM

Concerned about availability

Greetings I’m new to the forum. I’m planning to pay off my NC MX-5 Miata by the end of 2019. I’ve become fond of convertibles but I also want a little more performance. Unfortunately Audi makes shoppers in the U.S. choose between a base TT Roadster or a TTS Coupe. Surprisingly not only are these scarce in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live, but the inventory is low on most of the West Coast. Do owners love their TT’s that much or did Audi not ship many to the states?

SCarGuy 04-28-2019 07:26 PM

It’s a very low production model

J-Fly 04-28-2019 11:56 PM

I guess I could have one shipped to me via Carmax but I’m not exactly sure how that works.

Huey52 04-29-2019 03:27 AM

Carmax ships from anywhere in the country to one of their lots near you. However you pay for the shipping in advance (whether you end up buying the car or not) and the cost is dependent on the distance shipped.

I rarely see another TT, of any generation, in my area.

Originally Posted by J-Fly (Post 25309585)
I guess I could have one shipped to me via Carmax but I’m not exactly sure how that works.

VGM911 04-29-2019 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Huey52 (Post 25309611)
I rarely see another TT, of any generation, in my area.

Nor do I ever see one in New Jersey. And by the way, that pleases me since it makes me glad to have such an exclusive car. :)

Vegas-roadster 04-29-2019 07:13 AM

Last year the average dealer in the US sold one new TT every 2 months. That is why AoA stopped importing the TTS roadster because their sales volume did not pay for their federal certification cost. It's a chicken-egg scenario. Sales are low so dealers carry no inventory and with long waits for an ordered TT, folks won't buy one if it is not on the lot. For the best selection, new or used, you have to search nationally. With rare exception, you won't find a good deal at CarMax. If you are searching for used, check cars.com, autotrader, carguru, or autotempest (which gives you cars.com and ebay listings too). With national searches I've seen 2016 TT roadsters with under 20K miles asking in the low $30s. The TTS coupe is a few $k more. I've been looking since November for a TT roadster but finding one without black/gray paint or black interior has been nearly impossible.

One of the reasons I'm looking for my fourth TT as opposed to a less expensive comparable BMW 2 series that has been on every magazine's 10 Best List is that the TT is unique whereas all BMW look the same to me.

drgrey 04-29-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster (Post 25309691)
Last year the average dealer in the US sold one new TT every 2 months. That is why AoA stopped importing the TTS roadster because their sales volume did not pay for their federal certification cost. It's a chicken-egg scenario. Sales are low so dealers carry no inventory and with long waits for an ordered TT, folks won't buy one if it is not on the lot. For the best selection, new or used, you have to search nationally. With rare exception, you won't find a good deal at CarMax. If you are searching for used, check cars.com, autotrader, carguru, or autotempest (which gives you cars.com and ebay listings too). With national searches I've seen 2016 TT roadsters with under 20K miles asking in the low $30s. The TTS coupe is a few $k more. I've been looking since November for a TT roadster but finding one without black/gray paint or black interior has been nearly impossible.

One of the reasons I'm looking for my fourth TT as opposed to a less expensive comparable BMW 2 series that has been on every magazine's 10 Best List is that the TT is unique whereas all BMW look the same to me.

My ‘17 Roadster, design selection, @ 7300 mi comes off lease 5/16. I expect to turn it in before that date at local dealer in SoCal.

jwarrenod 04-29-2019 11:56 AM

Find one somewhere in the US, fly there, pick it up and enjoy it and get to know it on the way home!

Very clean '16 TT at Audi Northshore in Milwaukee right now.

JW

J-Fly 04-29-2019 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by drgrey (Post 25309781)
My ‘17 Roadster, design selection, @ 7300 mi comes off lease 5/16. I expect to turn it in before that date at local dealer in SoCal.

I have absolutely no problem traveling to infamous SoCal to buy a car :p

J-Fly 04-29-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster (Post 25309691)

Thanks for the autotempest website! I wasn’t aware of that one.