TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Cross-country shipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross-country shipping

I was wondering if someone has experience with getting a TT coupe from one state to another. I know it depends on a few things but I would appreciate a general ball park of the cost to truck a TT across the US. Found a lot of TT but nowhere near me... Let me know the source, destination, and cost! Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superdl
I was wondering if someone has experience with getting a TT coupe from one state to another. I know it depends on a few things but I would appreciate a general ball park of the cost to truck a TT across the US. Found a lot of TT but nowhere near me... Let me know the source, destination, and cost! Thanks a bunch!
My dealer claimed that it cost them $850 to get my TTS from about 400 miles away and truck the one they had in stock back to the other dealer in exchange. I believe them about... never mind. I do not believe them.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

It will be VERY expensive. Your best options finically is to fly out one-way and drive it back home. For some people they have no interest in driving so far, but for me it's a about the best road-trip experience you'll ever have! I live in Iowa and could only find a very specific model in Main. Flew to Boston for $250, dealership met me at the airport with the car, signed paperwork in the parking lot and then I spend 3 days casually driving cross-country. I stopped off at big attractions (like Niagara Falls), took scenic byways and just enjoyed the entire experience. Far less expensive than trucking, and I had the best time enjoy a nice long drive in my new car!
Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the same. I flew to Cleveland, was picked up at the airport, went to the dealership to do paperwork and then drove back to Rochester. The local dealers didn't want to deal with shipping it.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

when i was shopping for CPO ones, Audi Mentor in Ohio was offering free shipping nationwide for February. I almost made a deal with them in March for one they had and they were going to throw in free shipping as well even though the offer had ended. But someone locally was there at the time and bought it. So depending on the dealership, you could try negotiating that in.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
It will be VERY expensive. Your best options finically is to fly out one-way and drive it back home. For some people they have no interest in driving so far, but for me it's a about the best road-trip experience you'll ever have! I live in Iowa and could only find a very specific model in Main. Flew to Boston for $250, dealership met me at the airport with the car, signed paperwork in the parking lot and then I spend 3 days casually driving cross-country. I stopped off at big attractions (like Niagara Falls), took scenic byways and just enjoyed the entire experience. Far less expensive than trucking, and I had the best time enjoy a nice long drive in my new car!
Sounds good, guess I will follow in your footsteps and fly one way then drive back
Old 05-26-2018, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Earlier this year, I shipped a vehicle (not an Audi) from Richmond, VA to Austin, TX. The carrier was Montway Transport and was an OPEN carrier. Cost was $850.00, enclosed shipping would have been double. The company picked it up one day late and arrived here, undamaged, one day early. Drivers were Russian and spoke little to no English. The car was dirty, of course, but had no damage. Just some info for you so you can make your own decision.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Same here

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Dealer picks you up. Treats you like a king. Some will even pay for the hotel on your arrival night. I've bought all 3 of my TTs long distance to get what I want at the best deal. Contact them by internet first (email, etc), and then ask for "your best price so it will be worth my while to fly there and buy". Make sure you get the offer in writing or don't go. Make sure your state accepts sales tax paid in another state when you register the car. For example, I've heard buying in Maryland can be a problem because they call their tax an excise tax so it is not recognized by most states.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

In MA we have a state sales tax paid at delivery and an annual excise tax paid to the residing town. The sales tax is a fixed rate as purchasing other taxable commodities but the excise tax follows the depreciation curve (pay a ton when new and much less a number of years down the road).

So yes, the sate-to-state terminology can be confusing and homework is required.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
... Make sure your state accepts sales tax paid in another state when you register the car. For example, I've heard buying in Maryland can be a problem because they call their tax an excise tax so it is not recognized by most states.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Spent $700 to have my new 2017 TT Roadster shipped from Audi Salt Lake City to Calabasas, Ca. in May, 2017. Enclosed carrier operated by Z Trans. No problems of any kind.