TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Dash Buzzing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dash Buzzing Noise

Does anyone else have this noise? The dash or something directly in front of the drivers position buzzes as I accelerate through the 2500 to 3500 rpm range. It is not apparent at lower or higher rpms. So far I have not been able to isolate the cause. The dealer supposedly had 3 techs check it out before he delivered the car, and none of them heard it. I'll have to go for a ride with them and point it out, but it would be helpful if someone else has already found the source of the noise.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffc
Does anyone else have this noise? The dash or something directly in front of the drivers position buzzes as I accelerate through the 2500 to 3500 rpm range. It is not apparent at lower or higher rpms. So far I have not been able to isolate the cause. The dealer supposedly had 3 techs check it out before he delivered the car, and none of them heard it. I'll have to go for a ride with them and point it out, but it would be helpful if someone else has already found the source of the noise.
I have a nose - a rattle sound (but not heavy) lighter sounding if that makes any sense coming from what sounds like the drivers' door or window area. I have not noticed if it is between a certain rev range yet. Will listen and watch the tach next time in my car.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bolter
I have a nose - a rattle sound (but not heavy) lighter sounding if that makes any sense coming from what sounds like the drivers' door or window area. I have not noticed if it is between a certain rev range yet. Will listen and watch the tach next time in my car.
Noise not nose.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I notice it - I figured it was "normal". Almost sounds like a small electrical fan.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove the car and pressed on every area of the dash that I could reach, and the noise didn't change at all. The noise occurs as the car accelerates and decelerates thru 3100 rpm, exactly. Every time. Like it was programmed to do it. So, I pulled fuse #34 which the manual describes as "interior sound" among other things. I take that to mean "Soundaktor". The buzzing noise went away completely. The fake engine noise went away, too. Unfortunately, so did the Home Link function and probably a few other things that I did not notice. I replaced the fuse, but now I have to decide if I should buy a vag-com and code out the Soundaktor or have Audi tear apart my car in an attempt to fix the buzzzz.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I unplugged the Soundaktor today and eliminated the buzzing noise. The unit is located just below the right side wiper shaft. Once a rubber seal and four fasteners are removed, the cowl can be pried up just barely enough to jam a hand in there and grab the connector. I used a long screwdriver to push the connector off. If you know how to remove the wiper arms you might prevent a few skinned knuckles. Could just be my imagination, but the car seems just a bit smoother and/or quieter.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Could just be my imagination, but the car seems just a bit smoother and/or quieter.
Yeah, but the Soundaktor (which, incidentally, sounds like the name of a German dinosaur) adds like 20HP.

Last edited by SimianSpeedster; 02-18-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Then the fart noise must add at least 10hp. What generates that noise and can it be stopped?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Still wondering why you bought a Mk3 TT. So many complaints and turning off of items .....

Inadequate pre-purchase research? Bought on a whim? Just curious.

Then the fart noise must add at least 10hp. What generates that noise and can it be stopped?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Love the car, hate the fake noises. Besides, the Soundaktor was also making the dash buzz. ..

As to the fart, if it is a fake noise I'd like to get rid of it. Some people like to make their cars louder presumably to attract attention. I don't. Opinions vary......

Last edited by Jeffc; 02-19-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash Buzzing Noise