AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk3) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/)
-   -   Descision MK2 TT RS or MK3 TTS? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/descision-mk2-tt-rs-mk3-tts-3022271/)

luisv 07-15-2021 10:34 AM

Descision MK2 TT RS or MK3 TTS?

I just joined the forums because I’m on the market for an Audi TT and I wanted to see some opinions from those that know more than I. I'm posting this in the MK3 section because I assume some or many may have driven both versions.

A little background. I owned an MK1 TT 225HP. I enjoyed that car a great deal. Like the nimble handling of the car. Fast forward 15 or so years and I’m looking for a fun daily driver. I am a “driver” meaning I enjoy driving and tend to drive harder than the average on the road. I also road course other cars I own. Power and torque are important but so is braking and suspension, if not more so to me. My other cars are two Dodge Vipers, a 2002 Viper GTS and a 2013 Viper GTS. It will give you a frame of reference.

So here’s the deal. I saw a 2016 MK3 Audi TTS and was quite impressed with the look, fit and finish of the car. I have not driven it yet, but likely will this weekend. I started doing searches and selection is lean. I will definitely stay with the S as a minimum.

Questions:
Used prices are in the same space for a MK2 TT RS as they are for a MK3 TTS. I will likely tune & upgrade either car... am I better off with the 2.5L or 2.0? Power levels are close, but what’s the potential?

I know the TT shares a VW platform with other cars, but I did have a question. I understand the MK3 is an aluminum frame/body. Is the MK2 the same?

I don’t mind a manual and enjoy it, but is the MK3 S-tronic a good, crisp shifting DCT? Is there a great deal of shift delay/lag?

Is the Audi Virtual Cockpit good or is it fluff?

I know it’s a great deal to answer, but any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MCRN 07-15-2021 11:15 AM

Having owned both (single TT MK2 and having had all three versions of the MK3: TT, TTS and now TTRS) - I would say hands down the MK3.

The MQB platform is massive improvement over the old, and the other improvements as well make it overall a better car. There was some aluminum in the MK2, but again, the MQB was an evolutionary leap forward for VW, they spent billions on its development. It is, in my opinion, by far the best compact platform on the market today (I'm looking at your VW GTI).

The DSG is an all star, to answer your question there is absolutely no lag whatsoever. Granted the TTS engine is no match for the TTRS in overall visceral enjoyment, but when chipped - the performance gap does narrow significantly and you can get a lot out of the TTS. As far as virtual cockpit, overall I am lukewarm on it. I do miss the analog gauges, but with the TT and lack of center screen, the virtual cockpit is an excellent feature to have if you find yourself frequently using NAV, etc.

The MK2, to me, always felt like a VW product (not a bad thing, as we have owned many VW products over the years and I am a big fan of the brand). The MK3, by comparison, feels and looks like its befitting of the Audi badge. Audi took a few design leaps with the new design that I think will have some staying power to keep things relevant for years to come, like the climate controls embedded in the highly stylized air vents.

We just picked up our TTRS after trading in our TTS, and honestly, if it weren't for our trade being worth 9k more on trade than it was a few months ago and the fact that the TTRS is a scratch on next years model list, we would have kept and been perfectly happy with our TTS.

Hopefully answered your questions, and welcome to the board!

luisv 07-15-2021 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MCRN (Post 25609820)
Having owned both (single TT MK2 and having had all three versions of the MK3: TT, TTS and now TTRS) - I would say hands down the MK3.

The MQB platform is massive improvement over the old, and the other improvements as well make it overall a better car. There was some aluminum in the MK2, but again, the MQB was an evolutionary leap forward for VW, they spent billions on its development. It is, in my opinion, by far the best compact platform on the market today (I'm looking at your VW GTI).

Awesome. I was assuming the the MQB was the first all aluminum unibody/frame. Frankly that was making me lean towards the MK3. I see it's roughly 100 lbs lighter than the MK2 in similar trim. Add that to it being a stiffer setup, and it's got me 80% of the way there.

The DSG is an all star, to answer your question there is absolutely no lag whatsoever.

Glad to hear this. I'm very concerned about it as I'm a fan of my manuals.

Granted the TTS engine is no match for the TTRS in overall visceral enjoyment, but when chipped - the performance gap does narrow significantly and you can get a lot out of the TTS.

So are the MK2 and MK3 5 Cyl essentially the same? Is there a huge delta between them?

...The MK2, to me, always felt like a VW product (not a bad thing, as we have owned many VW products over the years and I am a big fan of the brand). The MK3, by comparison, feels and looks like its befitting of the Audi badge. Audi took a few design leaps with the new design that I think will have some staying power to keep things relevant for years to come, like the climate controls embedded in the highly stylized air vents.

Glad you replied, this is the type of info that helps a great deal.

In the end, what I'm hearing is, the small delta in potential HP/Torque (MK2 2.5L TT RS vs. MK3 2.0L TTS) is overshadowed by the drastic improvement in the platform. From what I've been able to bounce around and see, MK2 2.5L 5 Cyl TT RS top HP is in the 400HP range with bolt-ons and a good tune. The MK3 TTS is in the 375HP range with the same modifications.

Thanks!!!!

Vegas-roadster 07-15-2021 12:38 PM

Read this FAQ about the Mk 2 TT family (7) MK2 TT a5 FAQ | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum. Mag ride shocks are a chronic issue with the TTRS and other Mk2s so equipped. Inspect the shocks before you buy. The Mk 2 TTRS had brake issues with squeal, and overheating only when tracked.
I've driven both cars and would choose the Mk 2 TTRS in a heartbeat even with the potential issues. There is no comparison in the driving experience IMO, due primarily to the manual tranny. I The Mk 3 trannies are excellent and the virtual dash is great, particularly if you get a 2017+ that supports CarPlay/Auto. I'll agree that the Mk 3 is a better platform but the Mk 2 TTRS drivetrain is a sweetheart.

kevin#34 07-15-2021 12:47 PM

long story short, definitively TTS mk3

JFHughes08088 07-15-2021 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster (Post 25609847)
Read this FAQ about the Mk 2 TT family (7) MK2 TT a5 FAQ | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum. Mag ride shocks are a chronic issue with the TTRS and other Mk2s so equipped. Inspect the shocks before you buy. The Mk 2 TTRS had brake issues with squeal, and overheating only when tracked.
I've driven both cars and would choose the Mk 2 TTRS in a heartbeat even with the potential issues. There is no comparison in the driving experience IMO, due primarily to the manual tranny. I The Mk 3 trannies are excellent and the virtual dash is great, particularly if you get a 2017+ that supports CarPlay/Auto. I'll agree that the Mk 3 is a better platform but the Mk 2 TTRS drivetrain is a sweetheart.

remember for $200 US, you can get Apple CarPlay/Android Auto installed over the air on a 2016 TTS.....I did it a few months ago... Works great..

luisv 07-16-2021 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster (Post 25609847)

I work on all my own cars and, most likely, the TT RS as well. The shocks are not a huge concern for me. The adjustability, while nice, is not something I'll use much. I tend to like my ride in the more aggressive/stiff setting typically. (Have that option on one of my other cars and it's always in track/sport/stiff mode) In the end, if they are an issue, a coil over upgrade to is not a huge deal. Particularly if I save some money up front.

The brakes and over heating. When I track my cars, I usually upgrade the pads and flush and replace the fluid with hi-temp for track days. It does seem odd to me that they overheat though given the swept are on the fronts with these cars. Also, I thought there were cooling ducts/diverters on the cars. Squeal in the brakes is also not an issue. That can typically be resolved with the right pad/rotor combination. I'll look around for that info to see what's mentioned in the forums and other sites.

As for manual vs the dual clutch. I'm have two other manuals. I love driving manuals and they would typically be my first choice. However, if the car's dual clutch is a good crisp shifting unit, I can live with it. It's not a deal killer for me. If I want to row gears, I have options to get my fix.

Thanks for the info! I will do some research on the shock and brakes for sure.

luisv 07-16-2021 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by JFHughes08088 (Post 25609932)
remember for $200 US, you can get Apple CarPlay/Android Auto installed over the air on a 2016 TTS.....I did it a few months ago... Works great..

Good to know. The TTS that I am looking at (better stated, what I can find near me) are mostly 2018+ cars. But this is awesome to know since it's just a software update. There is one 2016 in Miami right now though, not a highly optioned car, but decent. I might use the $200 upgrade as a gimme on the deal. Its a CPO, so it might be worth it.

Vegas-roadster 07-16-2021 12:56 PM

Brake solution for overheat

Originally Posted by luisv (Post 25610061)
I work on all my own cars and, most likely, the TT RS as well. The shocks are not a huge concern for me. The adjustability, while nice, is not something I'll use much. I tend to like my ride in the more aggressive/stiff setting typically. (Have that option on one of my other cars and it's always in track/sport/stiff mode) In the end, if they are an issue, a coil over upgrade to is not a huge deal. Particularly if I save some money up front.

The brakes and over heating. When I track my cars, I usually upgrade the pads and flush and replace the fluid with hi-temp for track days. It does seem odd to me that they overheat though given the swept are on the fronts with these cars. Also, I thought there were cooling ducts/diverters on the cars. Squeal in the brakes is also not an issue. That can typically be resolved with the right pad/rotor combination. I'll look around for that info to see what's mentioned in the forums and other sites.

As for manual vs the dual clutch. I'm have two other manuals. I love driving manuals and they would typically be my first choice. However, if the car's dual clutch is a good crisp shifting unit, I can live with it. It's not a deal killer for me. If I want to row gears, I have options to get my fix.

Thanks for the info! I will do some research on the shock and brakes for sure.

I'm sure there are videos or posts on this but the track folks I've talked to solve it with additional venting. BTW, I've heard that the Mk 3 TTRS has the same issue, amazingly.

shadeofnardogray 07-18-2021 10:59 AM

I'd say "it really depends what you're doing with it" - for high power applications, the last i5 is an amazing base setup. On the street, manuals are fun, nostalgic, and pleasantly involving for the driver. Track situations though, you tend to want the car in the right gear without your hands leaving the wheel or something else deciding what is "right." To that end, DSGs (DCTs in general) are godsends. I have an '08 R32 and '19 TTRS standing out front - both of those setups are much faster than you or i will ever be at changing gears. The old stuff runs wet clutch providing very smooth engagement (GTR does too, but with my setup its like rough intercourse with a transformer until the trans and clutch fluids warm up), the new 7-spd units are just insanely precise dry setups and the entire tuning strategy is driveline based (vs motor based like normal cars) to ensure smooth upshifts (downshifts are always torque-cut at the motor, upshifts keep partial torque down so that you keep the boost aside from efficiency).
If you're going for road courses, the TTS is probably a better choice - those motors can be brought to modern TTRS levels of output for short money and if thats not enough for you on a road course at that weight, you're into purpose built cars or ultra-expensive kit anyway. If you're shooting for digs or roll racing, and competing in the manual class (no DCTs), i'd say the older TTRS will offer a lot more resistance to blowing up all over the place and you can get the transmission innards nowadays to handle 1k pretty easily. Unlike Cobras or Nismos, there's little "baller factor" from a TTRS since nobody knows what the deuce it is - does come in handy though when someone thinks they can outrun a "hair dressers faux coupe" :-p