TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Fuel door removal.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fuel door removal.

I was a little unhappy that with the “black optics package” the fuel door was silver which just looked odd. I really think it looks better in black and should have been this way from factory. I ordered a black painted fuel door from “BlackLabelz” on facebook, he paints these parts by order and will even do colour matched covers for almost less than I could buy the fuel door from my local Audi dealership parts department. When it arrived, it looked great but I was not looking forward to doing the install which I thought was going to be a PITA but after a few minutes of studying the new door I found that it only took about 5 minutes to remove the silver door and replace it with the black door.

The fuel door is painted and like all (IME) black paint, it’s rather soft and easy to scratch just by touching it. Being soft paint I decided it would be a good idea to coat the door with a paint sealant prior to installing it. I used some of Larrys Ammo NYC “Reflex” coating as I had some on hand but any glass coat is better than nothing as this is a “High Traffic” part which is always being touched whenever you need to fuel up. Before coating I wiped the part down with alcohol to make sure there wasn’t any oils from my hands etc as you would do before any sealant.

To remove the door plate you’ll need a trim tool or a flathead screwdriver. The outer door is held in place by some slide tabs and a clip (circled in blue, second to las picture bellow), you need to push the trim tool in from the back edge of the door (or screwdriver being careful not to scratch anything) about 2”s (bottom photo) while applying some pressure pulling the out door away from the car. Once the clip is released the outer plate will slide off very easily. After the outer door plate is removed you simply need to remove the allen head screws out of the outer ring and pop the edge around the inner fuel doors hinge. Assembly is just the reverse of the disassembly.

Hope that helps anyone who is looking to do the same.

Cheers,
Brian

<edit> As pointed out by timzcat, there is a slot (circled in last photo) where you can use your screwdriver or small trim tool (none of mine would fit) to pop the retention clip and slide the door cover off.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel door removal.-ed75a483-6774-4dc7-9dff-b359e54675bf.jpeg   Fuel door removal.-9ef55927-a923-4645-bae6-d8d43dc0872b.jpeg   Fuel door removal.-e72e108f-0a76-4554-a305-7d8b989fc7b1.jpeg   Fuel door removal.-7eb000ec-e48e-4ddf-9bb2-121f5b95557e.jpeg   Fuel door removal.-dfc00b61-538a-4ca4-96e9-69ea03e6a5da.jpeg  

Fuel door removal.-9e09f47c-5319-4590-9aed-812989ac53c2.jpeg   Fuel door removal.-64e129e3-2449-492e-ac4a-febd6ad39ac9.jpeg   Fuel door removal.-img_6507.jpg   Fuel door removal.-img_6508.jpg  

Last edited by BRKNJMPR; 02-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chunk_split (02-20-2021)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Brian,
Old 02-03-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRKNJMPR
I really thought it was odd that with the “black optics package” that the fuel door was still silver which I thought looked odd and I really think it looks better in black. I ordered a black painted fuel door from “BlackLabelz”on facebook, he paints these parts by order and will even do colour matched covers for less than I could buy the fuel door from my local Audi dealership parts department. When it arrived I was really not looking forward to doing the instal but after a few minutes of studying the new door I found that it only took about 5 minutes to remove the silver door and replace it with the black door.

The door is painted and I found the paint to be rather soft and easy to scratch just by touching it with my rough hands. Being soft paint I decided to coat the door with a paint sealant prior to installing it, I used some of Larrys Ammo NYC “Reflex” coating as I had some on hand but any glass coat is better than nothing as this is a “High Traffic” part which is always being touched whenever you need to fuel up. Before coating I wiped the part down with alcohol to make sure there wasn’t any oils from my hands etc. Some other tools you'll need are a short trim tool and a 4mm hex key.

To remove the door plate you’ll need a trim tool or a flathead screwdriver. The outer door is held in place by some slide tabs and clip (circled in blue, second to las picture bellow), you need to push the trim tool in from the back edge of the door (or screwdriver being careful not to scratch anything) about 2”s (bottom photo) while applying some pressure pulling the out door away from the car. Once the clip is released the outer plate will slide off very easily. After the outer door plate is removed you simply need to remove the allen head screws out of the outer ring and pop the edge around the inner fuel doors hinge. Assembly is just the reverse of the disassembly.

Hope that helps anyone who is looking to do the same.

Cheers,
Brian

thanks much. Will want to do this as well. Agree it should be an option for the blk optics pkg.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you walk through the steps again but as if you were talking to a ten year old? I am not at all mechanically inclined.

i was planning to use dip to color my tank cap plus all the badges but this might be an option.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Originally Posted by grey67
Could you walk through the steps again but as if you were talking to a ten year old? I am not at all mechanically inclined.

i was planning to use dip to color my tank cap plus all the badges but this might be an option.

It's one of those things that is so simple that I shook my head after it did it. Push your trim tool or screw driver between the door and plate (Pictured below) far enough to release the plate and letting it slide (pulling away from the car or opposite direction of the trim tool) right off. Also be careful not to drop it, mine popped off so easy after inserting the trim tool that it caught me by surprise as it bounced off the garage floor

Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what that slot is for. If you have a trim tool that fits in it will release nicely without so much prying on the outside edge.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Originally Posted by timzcat
That's what that slot is for. If you have a trim tool that fits in it will release nicely without so much prying on the outside edge.

Thanks timzcat, I thought that slot might be for this after the fact but I couldn't really see where exactly it went... but now it makes more sense after looking in there with a flashlight...I'll amend the first post to reflect that as not to add confusion.

Cheers!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRKNJMPR
It's one of those things that is so simple that I shook my head after it did it. Push your trim tool or screw driver between the door and plate (Pictured below) far enough to release the plate and letting it slide (pulling away from the car or opposite direction of the trim tool) right off. Also be careful not to drop it, mine popped off so easy after inserting the trim tool that it caught me by surprise as it bounced off the garage floor

Thank you sir!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just clarifying before I start mine. Most of the above is for the inner cap part. For the outer ring, did you just remove the hex bolts around its edge, pull out the stock ring, put the new ring on and screw the hexes back in? Or did you pull out the full assembly after taking the door off? (And presumably it becomes clear how to do so w/ the door off? Other posts seem to suggest there's adhesive bonding on around the full fuel door assembly.)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Previously “CALE262”

Originally Posted by big residual
Just clarifying before I start mine. Most of the above is for the inner cap part. For the outer ring, did you just remove the hex bolts around its edge, pull out the stock ring, put the new ring on and screw the hexes back in? Or did you pull out the full assembly after taking the door off? (And presumably it becomes clear how to do so w/ the door off? Other posts seem to suggest there's adhesive bonding on around the full fuel door assembly.)
You can remover the outer ring by removing the bolts and then carefully negotiate it around the fuel door. I did find it easier to remove the fuel door (Outer/skin) before removing the outer ring and then in the reverse order when reassembling so you don't scratch the outer edges of the fuel door skin.

The following users liked this post:
chunk_split (02-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Fuel door removal.