TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Its been a while 7 weeks. My 7 week update.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its been a while 7 weeks. My 7 week update.

Howdy all.

Since I have my TT, I dont come here very much anymore. But I thought I would provide a quick update for those considering the car and those who are in a waiting line for the car.

Overall - this is a GREAT car! I love it.

Speed. When I ordered my car, I was concerned that it would not be fast enough or fun enough for me. Since the TT Roadster only came in standard engine and TTS was not available I was pretty bummed, but took the chance and bought the base TT. Well 7 weeks later and I gotta say..... I am pretty happy with performance. Launch Control and Sport mode are nice when I want to play and overall performance for daily driving is very quick. I do notice a little turbo lag on start at times, but its ok.

Comfort. The car is dreamy. Just awesome. Fit/Finish is awesome. Everyone who gets in my car thinks the interior is amazing. Simple, functional and very nice.

Drive. Many of the UK review said the drive was very harsh on 19" Wheels and even 18" wheels were not that great. I have to tell you coming from 3 Mini Coopers (one JCW), this thing drives so smooth. Almost too smooth at times. So I have no idea what those brits were talking about. I have the 19" upgrade version, but will be using 18" winters when season starts. Quattro is just awesome. In ramps and curves the quattro is just AWESOME!

Downside. The windshield. Yeah I know right? You would not think, but I have already gone through a windshield on this car. Big Rock hit my windshield on week 2 and I had to have it replaced. Amazingly enough Audi had a windshield in stock and I got it replaced in Week 3. Some observations, Up to week 2 I already noticed a lot of pitting in the windshield, much more than I expected. I would say like 20 pits. For only have the car for 2 weeks I thought this was aweful. By the end of a MN winter its gonna be bad! So after I got the new windshield I took a leap of faith and installed Zurich (Diamond Fusion) Windshield protector ($550) from Audi dealer. I read all the negative reviews and all the people that said it was crap, but they were only looking at it for the "RainX" effect - I could care less about this. I wanted less pitting! Well I have to say its week 7 and I have ZERO pits in my windshield and it is easier to clean. We will see if this is the case after winter.

Well that is it. LOVE the car.

There are so many things in this car that are first or near firsts, like all LED lighting, no gas cap, automatic wind deflector, virt cockpit, HVAC integration....... its a very special car indeed.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
Howdy all.

Since I have my TT, I dont come here very much anymore. But I thought I would provide a quick update for those considering the car and those who are in a waiting line for the car.

Speed. When I ordered my car, I was concerned that it would not be fast enough or fun enough for me. Since the TT Roadster only came in standard engine and TTS was not available I was pretty bummed, but took the chance and bought the base TT. Well 7 weeks later and I gotta say..... I am pretty happy with performance. Launch Control and Sport mode are nice when I want to play and overall performance for daily driving is very quick. I do notice a little turbo lag on start at times, but its ok.

Comfort. The car is dreamy. Just awesome. Fit/Finish is awesome. Everyone who gets in my car thinks the interior is amazing. Simple, functional and very nice.

Drive. Many of the UK review said the drive was very harsh on 19" Wheels and even 18" wheels were not that great. I have to tell you coming from 3 Mini Coopers (one JCW), this thing drives so smooth. Almost too smooth at times. So I have no idea what those brits were talking about. I have the 19" upgrade version, but will be using 18" winters when season starts. Quattro is just awesome. In ramps and curves the quattro is just AWESOME!

Downside. The windshield. Yeah I know right? You would not think, but I have already gone through a windshield on this car. Big Rock hit my windshield on week 2 and I had to have it replaced. Amazingly enough Audi had a windshield in stock and I got it replaced in Week 3. Some observations, Up to week 2 I already noticed a lot of pitting in the windshield, much more than I expected. I would say like 20 pits. For only have the car for 2 weeks I thought this was aweful. By the end of a MN winter its gonna be bad! So after I got the new windshield I took a leap of faith and installed Zurich (Diamond Fusion) Windshield protector ($550) from Audi dealer. I read all the negative reviews and all the people that said it was crap, but they were only looking at it for the "RainX" effect - I could care less about this. I wanted less pitting! Well I have to say its week 7 and I have ZERO pits in my windshield and it is easier to clean. We will see if this is the case after winter.

There are so many things in this car that are first or near firsts, like all LED lighting, no gas cap, automatic wind deflector, virt cockpit, HVAC integration....... its a very special car indeed.
I got my first Star crack in my windshield on DAY 2!!!! This windshield is CRAP. But I paid for unlimited windshield repair/replacement for 5 years. This cost me $499. It is through PermaPlate. Since I live in Colorado (cracked windshield capital of the world) I plan on getting my money back and then some. But I agree with you on most all of your other points as well. I too have had mini coopers but most recently traded in a 14 Porsche Boxster for my TT. No regrets. Well, the Boxster did get more looks.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I got a stone chip in my allroad windshield on the way home from the dealership, as did my wife in her Caddy ATS. I even saw mine coming as some kid was weaving in and out of traffic (most of the grit is in the medians). Just one of those bad luck things. I got a lot more chips in my A5 tho', presumably due to lower stance and more sharply raked. So, I expect same over time in the TT. At least in MA we get one 'free' windshield per year if significantly cracked.

Thanks for the very positive report dslee.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great update. I am in week seven as well, and I am really surprised at how many km I have put on it, just so much fun to drive. I agree that the ride with the 19 inch wheels and performance summer tires is not a problem at all, but I am coming from a 2008 Mk2 TT coupe that could have used a suspension upgrade. I have not had a windshield problem yet, but I am paranoid about chips on the hood, I need to get the PPF soon. Love the B&O sound, all the media sources, but I still find the voice navigation frustrating.

So many neat little upgrades from the Mk2. Touchless maplights, heartbeat doors, backlit dials and speaker trim, and remote window controls.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

great info fellows. i got word mine is arriving in october, so not too much longer to wait.

i have to say - until i read this thread i never knew some cars were more prone to windshield cracks than others (?). why is that?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

There are a lot of pick-up trucks and SUV's out there in the US and a low slung car is just naturally going to take more hits to the windshield. But really, it can happen to any car/truck at any time. And again, it most often happens when someone in front changes lanes, typically accelerating to do so which kicks up even more.

Originally Posted by mlj1975lsu
great info fellows. i got word mine is arriving in october, so not too much longer to wait.

i have to say - until i read this thread i never knew some cars were more prone to windshield cracks than others (?). why is that?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsleedesign
Howdy all.

D,
I've tried to locate a dealer (here in SoCal) that does the Diamon Fusion, looks like a great product. I contacted their office which is here and they were less than helpful, in fact, almost non-interested. How did you find someone to do it?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Surfinjoe
D,
I've tried to locate a dealer (here in SoCal) that does the Diamon Fusion, looks like a great product. I contacted their office which is here and they were less than helpful, in fact, almost non-interested. How did you find someone to do it?
Got mine through the Audi Dealer. Zurich Shield is the same thing rebranded... that is what I got.