TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

LA area: I need to shave a tire down

Old 08-29-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default LA area: I need to shave a tire down

I'm having a single tire replaced by insurance, but my others all have about 4500 miles of fairly spirited driving on them. Does anyone know of a place in Los Angeles (preferably near North Hollywood/Burbank) that can shave tires down to match others?
Old 08-29-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No idea about local places, not even around here. I order my tires from Tirerack and they shave it down upon request. There's no option on the website, but the service is available if you order over the phone. So far I've only had to do it once, but it's as convenient as it gets. Tire arrived shaved to spec at my door. If you already bought the tire, you may wanna return it and just order a new one from Tirerack. It'll probably be cheaper, too, in case you have a cap on the replacement cost. No sales tax, they ship from Nevada, free road hazard insurance and you may even get free shipping. Sometimes I have to pay shipping, but my last set that I ordered in July had free shipping.

BTW, with that little mileage on the tires you may still be within the 4/32" tolerance and don't have to worry about shaving. How much tread depth is left on the remaining tires?

Last edited by superswiss; 08-29-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
No idea about local places, not even around here. I order my tires from Tirerack and they shave it down upon request. There's no option on the website, but the service is available if you order over the phone. So far I've only had to do it once, but it's as convenient as it gets. Tire arrived shaved to spec at my door. If you already bought the tire, you may wanna return it and just order a new one from Tirerack. It'll probably be cheaper, too, in case you have a cap on the replacement cost. No sales tax, they ship from Nevada, free road hazard insurance and you may even get free shipping. Sometimes I have to pay shipping, but my last set that I ordered in July had free shipping.

BTW, with that little mileage on the tires you may still be within the 4/32" tolerance and don't have to worry about shaving. How much tread depth is left on the remaining tires?
I'll have to measure. The tire was purchased by the body shop as part of the claim. Nobody realized it might be an issue until I asked about it.