TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Latest Tire Rack UHP summer tire tests in Car & Driver print issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Latest Tire Rack UHP summer tire tests in Car & Driver print issue

Tire Rack and C&D did a blind test on 5 ultrahigh performance summer tires. They were the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, Pirelli P Zero (the 2016 model with a small “PZ4” on the sidewall), the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (replaces the old DW), and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (replaces the Supersport). They are listed in order of finish from 5’th to first. The Contact Sport and Pilot Sport blew the other 3 away. I’ve seen other pro reviews saying the Contact Sport is the equal of the old Supersports so this is no surprise.
Summary of results is that the Michelin excels on dry (e.g. a 29.5 autocross lap time compared to 30.1 seconds for the Conti). However, the Contis excel in wet (31.8 second autocross time compared to 32.2, shorter braking, and a .03 edge in skidpad). Keep in mind that the Michelin wet performance blew away the other 3 tires, so Michelin’s wet performance is no slouch but the Contis are significantly better. Similarly, the Conti’s blew away the other 3 on dry pavement so it is a pretty good dry tire. Other comments were that the Contis were the loudest of the group on expansion joint noise, giving Michelin the edge on noise. Michelin also had a softer touring ride but showed a slight tendency to trammel. The Conti’s are about 18% cheaper than the Michelins.
My impression from the article. If you live in frequent rain (I don’t), go with the Contis. If you want the best street tire for clear weather racing, go with the Michelins. The Conti’s seem to be the best bang for the buck (as were the departed DW).
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting, I was surprised that my TT came with Continental SportContact 6, which is Audi OE on the R8 apparently, and getting good reviews as well.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Tire Rack and C&D did a blind test on 5 ultrahigh performance summer tires. They were the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, Pirelli P Zero (the 2016 model with a small “PZ4” on the sidewall), the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (replaces the old DW), and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (replaces the Supersport). They are listed in order of finish from 5’th to first. The Contact Sport and Pilot Sport blew the other 3 away. I’ve seen other pro reviews saying the Contact Sport is the equal of the old Supersports so this is no surprise.
Summary of results is that the Michelin excels on dry (e.g. a 29.5 autocross lap time compared to 30.1 seconds for the Conti). However, the Contis excel in wet (31.8 second autocross time compared to 32.2, shorter braking, and a .03 edge in skidpad). Keep in mind that the Michelin wet performance blew away the other 3 tires, so Michelin’s wet performance is no slouch but the Contis are significantly better. Similarly, the Conti’s blew away the other 3 on dry pavement so it is a pretty good dry tire. Other comments were that the Contis were the loudest of the group on expansion joint noise, giving Michelin the edge on noise. Michelin also had a softer touring ride but showed a slight tendency to trammel. The Conti’s are about 18% cheaper than the Michelins.
My impression from the article. If you live in frequent rain (I don’t), go with the Contis. If you want the best street tire for clear weather racing, go with the Michelins. The Conti’s seem to be the best bang for the buck (as were the departed DW).
Wish the MPS 4S were available in 255/30R20. I emailed them about it, and no luck at this point. Definitely great tires, thank you for posting the results!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ormandj
Wish the MPS 4S were available in 255/30R20. I emailed them about it, and no luck at this point. Definitely great tires, thank you for posting the results!
Our MP 4s options appear to be

265/30/20

255/35/20

Ed
Old 07-14-2017, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

That's the reason I don't mind when my Winter Michelin's go on. Given the TTS' very stiff ride (even in 'Comfort') it does make a difference, that and 18" for my Winter.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
...giving Michelin the edge on noise. Michelin also had a softer touring ride but showed a slight tendency to trammel. ...
Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doveboat
Our MP 4s options appear to be

265/30/20

255/35/20

Ed
I really like the idea of running either of those sizes because in their own way, each option slightly increases sidewall height. The current tires are too thin in my opinion and reduces ride quality for appearance.

255/35/20 would be an easy fix and just increase side wall. I'm also liking the 265/30/20 for the extra width of contact patch and grip but...would it rub? Would the inner margin hit the strut or wheel well when at full lock?