TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

little rant: tired of people saying our cars is just a golf r with 2 doors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

I see it all the time in pro reviews on the internet and magazines. The one that upset me the most was the Car & Driver review even though their "lightning lap" tests show that the TTS leaves the R, GTI, and S3 in the dust so they are not "essentially the same" from a performance standpoint. One can make a valid point that those cars are better bang for the buck, although slower than the TTS.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man...reading all of this leaves me with one question...where do I go from here? I just got my TTS a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it. This is my first Audi ever...so I have nothing else to compare to.

What would my next vehicle be that would give me the same driving feel? Do I just keep getting new TTS' for the rest of my life now? 8-)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toram23901
Man...reading all of this leaves me with one question...where do I go from here? I just got my TTS a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it. This is my first Audi ever...so I have nothing else to compare to.

What would my next vehicle be that would give me the same driving feel? Do I just keep getting new TTS' for the rest of my life now? 8-)

I had many audis, and must say the TTS is prob the funnest to drive being easy and fully usable ( not talking about trunk space, but daily comfort and power , etc ).

s5 was ok, but it was very heavy and severely underpowered for a v8
a5 was nice with stage 2, but it was still pretty slow, heavy car
r8 was a blast to drive but with the transmission of heavy *** steering, was not a great daily

tts wins!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In the UK, where a lot of TTs are sold, some people have had like 6 of them.
They are so much better than they get credit for in North America.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG, I only have a (stage 1) GTI with two doors! I seem to be getting by okay with the stigma

I tried to cross shop it against a Golf R, but in the end, it was no decision at all to sacrifice some hp for a much nicer overall package.

Looking at it another way, I think its a benefit to have all those Golf Mk7 around because you can draw on that huge community for information.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still waiting for my normal Audi TT

Will they say that it's like a a golf GTI lol??

Also in terms of TTS being fun to drive, how much of that is related to the engine or to the rest of the car?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

It does irritate me too....all though it shouldn't. However, do people say this because it shares the MQB platform? It that's the case then I guess our car is also just like the new VW Atlas SUV, because we share the same architecture?!?!? Ummmm.....

I always ask "that person" if their Golf:

•Has an entirely aluminum front, rear and roof structure and all-aluminum exterior body panels.
•If their wheel base got shorter magically....
•If they noticed there is virtually not a single pice of interior trim, switches or panels that are the same
•If they magically upgraded their AWD software to the 50/50+ rear bias programing
•How long their warranty is, and what their dealership service experience is like

Should I go on?!? Yes, distilled down it is a Golf....as a starting point, at which point the floor plan and kick-a$$ powertrain were kept and basically everything else was tossed out the window and designed exclusively for the TT from a clean sheet of paper.

If sharing basic architecture and making everything else different means it's the same, then so be it. But that's about as crazy as saying the new BMW 5 series is the same as the new Rolls-Royce because they share the same platform as well.......
Old 08-05-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleddie
I'm still waiting for my normal Audi TT

Will they say that it's like a a golf GTI lol??

Also in terms of TTS being fun to drive, how much of that is related to the engine or to the rest of the car?
Every model in the current TT lineup has been reviewed as "fun to drive", even FWD models.
The extra power would be nice, but it's not essential unless one has become accustomed to it.
The Mag Ride is something I wanted, but could not get without moving to the TTS.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Don't want to do a thread-jack

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
Every model in the current TT lineup has been reviewed as "fun to drive", even FWD models.
The extra power would be nice, but it's not essential unless one has become accustomed to it.
The Mag Ride is something I wanted, but could not get without moving to the TTS.
but I wonder if there has been a substantial re-design of the mag ride from the Mk 2. reason I ask is a lot of mag ride failures are starting to pop up on several Mk 2 boards to the point where mag ride has become the first chronic problem for that series. Failure is due to age and not mileage. Repair cost for parts alone is about $1K per wheel so folks are switching to standard aftermarket performance shocks rather than fix the mag ride.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttrs
rs5

Quick Reply: little rant: tired of people saying our cars is just a golf r with 2 doors?