TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Maintenance Schedule Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Maintenance Schedule Advice

Hey all. In answering a cost of ownership thread, I realized I hadn't thought much about the (extensive) scheduled maintenance or cost. For my MY17, looking through the schedule, the major/real/non-inspect services I notice are:
  • Oil Changes and Air Filters: Various times, 100% easy to do yourself, not worried at all.
  • Replace Brake Fluid: Every 2 years
  • Haldex Clutch - Replace Oil: Every 3 years
  • DSG/S tronic - Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element: Every 40,000 miles
  • Spark Plugs - Replace: Every 40,000 miles
So first off, this is a lot. They makes sense, it's a turbo, hence frequent plug changes, and has very high friction/velocity clutch actuation, hence DSG/Haldex changes. But brake fluid every 2 years? WTF? Personally, regardless of what this all costs, I'm simply not going to be taking my car in at 2 years for brake fluid, then a year later for Haldex, then at 40,000 for the rest... I don't have the time for that, and I sincerely doubt that most of Audi's customers do this either. I can't imagine most of the car-clueless Audi customers are going to know to do this, let alone actually take it in each time.

Does anyone have advice on this? My goal isn't to not maintain my car or "how much can I get away with" at all, and those type of people grind my gears too. But am I going to be ok doing brake, DSG, Haldex, and plugs all at 40,000? Is that reasonable, and does anyone have any personal experience with these service intervals, especially brake fluid? I've never changed the brake fluid on any car up to 100,000 miles, none of them have ever required it. Why does Audi need this so frequently? I drive my cars at least 15,000 a year, so it's not really ever going to "time out" on anything... Are any of these services super easy to do yourself for a guy who has changed his oil but not much else?
Old 03-30-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Mac, not sure why you are focusing on the brake fluid change. The Euro mfrs generally call for a 2 yr flush. Maybe if you live in AZ it wouldn't be as critical? It's typically a time-based service, not mileage. And it's a small $$ service.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Because literally every other car I've owned hasn't required it at all. The one that did was at like 120,000 or 10 years...
Old 03-30-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I don't know that your rationale is solid. Have you owned a Euro car in the past?

There is NOTHING to be ashamed about when it comes to good brake health and purging water from the fluid.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Brake fluid should be changed every few years as it absorbs moisture and that can damage the internal parts of the brake system. Most people don't do it but should. You could stretch to 3 or more if you want just know it's not advisable and it's pretty inexpensive. The other stuff is pretty typical also. You can get away with not doing some of it and the car will probably be fine if you don't drive it in a "rough service " way like a taxi, police car, etc.

Pretty normal service stuff
Old 03-31-2018, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Just an aside, but racing brake fluid is even more hygroscopic than OEM and therefore must be flushed more frequently.

Water is also not compressible so that's not the issue but as others have cited water can degrade internal brake line components. Kinda the same way ethanol in fuel is hygroscopic and can more readily degrade its system (I use StaBil marine formula every fill up). But I can empathize with your comment MacAddict as I have a friend who is typically very good about most maintenance and yet never changes his brake fluid.

I was surprised when I got home from my 2-year 15K AudiCare service and noted that my brake fluid wasn't changed. Perhaps as I only had 10K miles on it at that point. I'll make sure they flush it next service interval.

Last edited by Huey52; 03-31-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Hey all. In answering a cost of ownership thread, I realized I hadn't thought much about the (extensive) scheduled maintenance or cost. For my MY17, looking through the schedule, the major/real/non-inspect services I notice are:
  • Oil Changes and Air Filters: Various times, 100% easy to do yourself, not worried at all.
  • Replace Brake Fluid: Every 2 years
  • Haldex Clutch - Replace Oil: Every 3 years
  • DSG/S tronic - Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element: Every 40,000 miles
  • Spark Plugs - Replace: Every 40,000 miles
So first off, this is a lot. They makes sense, it's a turbo, hence frequent plug changes, and has very high friction/velocity clutch actuation, hence DSG/Haldex changes. But brake fluid every 2 years? WTF? Personally, regardless of what this all costs, I'm simply not going to be taking my car in at 2 years for brake fluid, then a year later for Haldex, then at 40,000 for the rest... I don't have the time for that, and I sincerely doubt that most of Audi's customers do this either. I can't imagine most of the car-clueless Audi customers are going to know to do this, let alone actually take it in each time.

Does anyone have advice on this? My goal isn't to not maintain my car or "how much can I get away with" at all, and those type of people grind my gears too. But am I going to be ok doing brake, DSG, Haldex, and plugs all at 40,000? Is that reasonable, and does anyone have any personal experience with these service intervals, especially brake fluid? I've never changed the brake fluid on any car up to 100,000 miles, none of them have ever required it. Why does Audi need this so frequently? I drive my cars at least 15,000 a year, so it's not really ever going to "time out" on anything... Are any of these services super easy to do yourself for a guy who has changed his oil but not much else?
Brake flush is standard operating procedure on almost all premium luxury cars and especially German ones. Both my Porsche Boxster and my BMW 128i required 2 year intervals as does my Dad's 328i. It isn't expensive (especially with a good independent mechanic) and will keep your brakes working really well.

If you are concerned about the rest of the items then go with Audi Care. It's a good deal for bundling all of the necessary service items.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

The Mk 1 had the same brake fluid change intervals and I ignored them. I only changed the fluid when I replaced the brakes after about 4 years and 70K miles with no issues but then I live in dry Las Vegas. On my present Mk 2, it worked out that I did it on schedule because I had AudiCare for the first 45K and then recently upgraded my brakes earlier than I usually do.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do all my own maintenance on my cars and I agree with the others that these are pretty standard maintenance intervals. Brake fluid changes are quite easy. Consider getting a Motive Bleeder. It makes it a one person job. I find it quite satisfying to DIY. I take the $$$ I save and buy myself presents!
Old 03-31-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Agree! Related, one of my YouTube Fav's:

Originally Posted by S4Bloom
I do all my own maintenance on my cars and I agree with the others that these are pretty standard maintenance intervals. Brake fluid changes are quite easy. Consider getting a Motive Bleeder. It makes it a one person job. I find it quite satisfying to DIY. I take the $$$ I save and buy myself presents!

Quick Reply: Maintenance Schedule Advice