TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT, TTS, TTRS cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Default TT, TTS, TTRS cancelled?

So... we've already heard the R8 has zero future.

Now, I'm hearing all TT variants (TT, TTS, TTRS) will be ended. Soon. Maybe 2019 will be made... but then?

Smoke 'em while you got 'em.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=BlackOptic;25137720]So... we've already heard the R8 has zero future.
Now, I'm hearing all TT variants (TT, TTS, TTRS) will be ended. Soon. Maybe 2019 will be made... but then?
Smoke 'em while you got 'em.[/QUOTE

I'm curious....what's the source for your story?
Old 04-12-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As they say "cleaning ladies". I heard from a cleaning lady that knows a cleaning lady in who works in Ingolstadt.

Whatever. Buy 'em up.

Once this TDI thing blows over, I hope we'll see an e-tron car that resembles the TT proportions. I hope. After all, how many SUV's can we e-tron-ize??? Really?

Why not start with a small car?

And, why all the e-trons need to be $80k-$120k (like the GT car) baffles the heck out of me.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Supposedly there are some 'official statements' circulating in Germany.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the regular ‘19 TT comes with a 7-speed dsg and center tach and is confirmed the last, I’m buying one. Keep us posted.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would you see "refreshed" models in the news?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Upcoming TT-esque Q4 [TT Offroad Concept] is purported to have an e-tron variant down the line. But of course another Crossover/SUV.

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Once this TDI thing blows over, I hope we'll see an e-tron car that resembles the TT proportions. I hope. After all, how many SUV's can we e-tron-ize??? Really?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapture
Why would you see "refreshed" models in the news?
Exactly. Maybe it'll be cancelled after this generation but not within the next couple of years.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Selling about 2000 or less TT, TTS, TTRS COMBINED a year for most of the past 10 years, given the expense of the various national and state certifications needed, given the cost of tech training, parts supply chain, etc, I doubt that Audi is making any money on TT sales in the US. Certification costs is the reason the 2006 TT roadster was not sold in CA, and the reason why the Mk 2 and Mk 3 TTRS roadster was not brought to the US, and the reason why the Mk 3 TTS roadster is not sold in the US. Audi decided the limited projected sales would not pay for the certification cost. The only Audi with fewer sales in the US is the R8. Frankly I was shocked that Audi decided to sell the Mk 3 TT in the US. With a mere 3000 Mk 3s sold in the US for the 2016MY US launch, the sales figures fell far short of the Mk 1 launch and even the dismal Mk 2 launch in the US, i.e. a sales failure. At 2000 cars a year, and some years almost HALF that number, that means that on average less than 1 TT a month is sold at each US Audi dealership, so it has zero impact on dealership's profit/loss except for the finance cost of keeping non-selling TTs on the lot (which is why there are so few, if any, on lots).

Despite all this bad news, Audi is obviously committed to the TT in the US as a flagship vehicle. After all, even five years of dismal sales figures are certainly enough data for even the most dense management teams to decide whether a vehicle should be retained in their line-up. However, the "flagship" seems ludicrous when the car is virtually unknown to the American public as evidenced by all the "What's that?" questions we all get. Other than the Mk 2TTRS,none of the TT versions got rave reviews by the press. Yet despite that, the Mk 1 WAS a sales success IMO due to its iconic body style. The Mk 2 and 3 diluted that body style and even bastardized the iconic ball glove interior of the Mk 1 roadster to the point that it was not even offered on the Mk 3.

Then you have to consider the price increases over the past 5 years that Audi has tacked on to the TT which has not helped sales in the US. With BMW offering substantial discounts, you can get a BMW 240i that is on almost every driving publication's "10 best" list for about the same price as the base TT it will leave in the dust. So that leaves a TT market to those of us who want an exclusive car and don't want a BMW that looks like all the others and/or want the better TT interior, in exchange for comparatively poorer driving experience.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Right.

Man, I am getting real tired of the "zupped-up" SUV's concept. Take a tall heavy beasty vehicle and try to make it fast/responsive to compete with a car. What's wrong with the Audi/Americans that can't start with a car! (I am so disappointed that the new e-tron is a SUV/CUV based vehicle -below.)

I'd love me a whisper quiet TT sized e-tron. GT e-tron, but for a more affordable $75k.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 04-17-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: TT, TTS, TTRS cancelled?