TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

My TTRS thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Dash Camera...I am a very strong advocate of installing dash cameras, there are so many things that can happen out in the wild that if you dont have actual video proof, you could be in a situation of "he said, she said". I like to believe that people in general in our societies are genuinely honest but unfortunately that is not the case. Even our LEO (Law Enforcement Officers) have some people in their ranks that are not always honest, I found myself in a situation late last November where I was pulled over with another fellow and charged with racing...We indeed were speeding and I thought that I was due for a speeding ticket as I haven't had one in about ten years. I was completely caught by surprise when the LEO that pulled us over handed me a citation for "racing", there was no racing going on and I almost lost my cool with the fellow. A "Racing" ticket is right up there with "Drunk Driving" as far as our insurance providers are concerned and had I not had video evedence of the whole occurrence it would have been just that, my word against this "County Bylaw Officer" (Not a police officer and more of an enhanced security guard). I pled innocent and had gone to trial but as soon as the "Crown prosecutor" saw my video evedence the racing charge was dropped...but I still had to pay my representation (Lawyer) as I know I would have botched it up (I have a hot head at times) once it was my chance to question the "Bylaw officer" who gave me the ticket in the first place.

The dash camera was one of the first things I installed in my car and I chose the "Blacksys CH200 2channel camera" with the CellinkB dual battery system from Blackboxmycar.com

Old 09-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Previously “CALE262”

I'm also a gadget guy so I couldn't help myself from installing laser jammers and other countermeasure radar equipment. For this I went with the ALP (Anti Laser Priority) hifi system which includes 3 laser jamming heads up front (2 regular and one new TX head), three for the rear (Same as front), one Netradar antenna with one MRCD antenna for the front and one Netradar antenna for the rear. I am also in the middle of the install for this system so for the time being I am also using a MAX360 standalone radar detector until all is up and tested. I live just outside of Edmonton Alberta Canada and for some reason they are using the best of the best kit. All stationary photo radar units are using MRCD radar and dragoneye lidar. Mobile units are using a lot of other kit but its the sationary units which are the most likely to catch you speeding. From time to time the EPS (Edmonton Police Services) do set up Dragoneye lidar with chase units on our freeways so if you are not using top of the line equipment you dont stand a chance of evading them. I know...just dont speed and generally I dont but once and a while I find my foot gets heavy and its all about the "Cat and Mouse" game. Anyway, here's the equipment I am installing, somewhere in the $7000 (CAD) range. The front is all installed but the rear is being a little more problematic as there is no grill to utilize.

*All this equipment is legal in my area, Legal in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan but not legal in eastern Canada.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Previously “CALE262”

In this picture you can see the two regular ALP heads top left and right in the grill and the new TX head is top dead centre in the grill. The Netradar and MRCD antenna are behind the grill (Not pictured) but I think I may have to cut the grill as they are typically hampered when place behind any mesh etc...Ideal placement for them is behind a flat section of bumper which there really isn't any of that in these cars. I'll test it before completion.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. That's a lot going on. Looking forward to following your progress.

-scot
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Some other bits and pieces from the MQB parts bin that I also added to my GTI, HPA's motormount dogbone, deadset subframe kits And considering ordering some forged wheels from Vorsteiner, some of these in gloss black.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff. I'm really interested to know how the dogbone and subframe kits work out. I bought both for my R32. The dogbone did firm things up, but also introduced an irritating amount of vibration. The subframe kit is still sitting in my garage with several other mods that I need to put the car in the shop for. I don't have access to a lift or equipment/space enough to get my larger than average self under the car to do the work myself.

The TT RS feels really tight right now, but the R32 did when it was first delivered too. So tightening up the subframe now before it gets sloppy seems like a great plan.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Previously “CALE262”

OK, the HPA Dogbone mount didn't fit, HPA thought it would but then we found that because of the different transmission the arm needs to be 1" longer than the OEM unit. However the Interlock puck fit just fine with the OEM dog bone and while it is slightly stiffer there is not as much or even any noteable vibration, the unit I put in my GTI was noticeable right away but that may be more to to the fact that the GTI's OEM puck was worn quite a bit. The TT is so new that everything else is still tight and the only time I notice any more vibration is while I'm sitting at a red light...but it is only very slightly more than the OEM. I don't know if the HPA dogbone in itself would change much more but I imagine it is still stiffer than the OEM dogbone. HPA will get back to me tomorrow to let me know how they want to move forward, they did say that they had ordered the TT RS OEM unit so that they would know exactly how much longer they will have to make theirs and then send one out to me ASAP.

I did receive the new black grill and hatch "TTRS" badges and today I added them to the car. They are a nice add, the one on the hatch more so as the one in the grill just disappears unless you are really looking for it.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree....front grill badge is lost...the rest look great....they will be on my list to get soon......
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Did a little more work on the wiring for the ALP system, the battery in the rear of the car make pulling a power source for the control unit but wiring the lidar heads is proving a challenge...more so as I'm in this chair which make reaching things a pita, I know there mush be a nice easy route through the firewall but the rear is going to require more thought. I pulled the OEM license plate off and replaced it with a Volvo plate holder, there are some nice big holes behind the plate which should make running the centre TX wiring easy but the two by the rear tails look easy with the inner plastic cover but when I lift one up there are no obvious routes for the wiring...I thought it would be like most MQB platforms and have a big hole for the taillight harness but I cant see an obvious wat to remove the lamps...
Old 09-22-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Keep it coming', Brknjmpr!

So... I'm liking the black rings - can you add the item number for those (near the link above)? (I looked on eBay, but it didn't look like they had the hood mounted rings.)

But, without switching out the gas cap, in retrospect, I may skip blacked out rings. Found a black cap yet? :-) (Yes, ABT has one in carbon.)

Quick Reply: My TTRS thread.