TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Nano Grey Metallic Touch Up Paint - Please help!

Old 10-26-2018, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nano Grey Metallic Touch Up Paint - Please help!

Hello All,

Has anyone with Nano Grey metallic paint found a perfect match touch up paint?

I tried the Audi paint pen and it was super dark.

I also ordered a sample from ChipFixx.ca and it was better but not perfect.

Before I try Dr Colorchip or another supplier, I thought I would check with the Forum brain trust.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-27-2018, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I use Dr. Colorchip for minor rash but I'm very satisfied with AutomotiveTouchup for more significant chips. Dr. Colorchip is all-in-one and ATU discretely provides base coat color and clear.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/to...irections.aspx

Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't have the luck with Dr. Colorchip as the advertisements show. It seems like 50% comes out very nice and 50% comes out looking pretty bad. I end up being just satisfied with dabs from a paint pen that you can pick up from a dealer.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As stated by Huey52 above, I've always been very happy with this company and their products:
Automotive Touch-up

Last edited by 95wildtt; 10-28-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give chipfixx a call or email, my paint was a little dark and they offered to send me more paint.

Turns out I used the leveler stuff too soon and wasn't drying enough. I left it for almost an hour an it turned out perfect.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just joined this forum for my 2016 Audi TT in Glacier White, lease return so it has some pits here and there and some road rash. I was told by a local shop here in SoCal that I'd not be able to find a proper match since CA's nanny laws don't allow actual lacquer but only VOC paint. He was even able to just wipe off the bad attempt at covering up some chips. That looked better to me ... and my current proposed solution is to just do a partial vinyl wrap of the areas affected . Mostly low to the ground where it's easy to get blasted by road grit. I figure the vinyl will be tougher over time and easy enough to replace when it gets too rashed. Have any of you run into this VOC situation in your States? It seems you can order actual EU (claimed to be German factory) Audi touch up paint from both Amazon and eBay, but it's still hard to tell if it's the real factory deal. Sorry if this is hihjacking the OP's paint color question but I feel it's related to any touch up situation. Any how glad to finally register for this forum....I have lots of questions.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't know where your local shop got this "information." There is no special Audi paint just for CA. It's all water-based "green" paint from the factory for worldwide distribution. Lacquer paint went the way of bell bottoms and the Dodo.

If the touchup was recently applied it may be easily removed, especially with aggressive isopropyl alcohol, as it takes considerable time to fully cure. Also if the surface wasn't properly degreased of wax/dirt/etc. prior to paint ... This goes for any brand of touchup.

OEM Audi touchup is the typical all-in-one formula for greatest ease of application, as is Dr. Colorchip, whereas others cited above are two-part (color and clear) and therefore more like the factory application.

Vinyl wrap is a viable solution if severely road-rashed but you first may want to give a proper touchup another try. But do keep in mind that any touchup just can't be as good as a respray.

Congratulations on your new to you TT and keep the questions coming.

Originally Posted by tonepad
So I just joined this forum for my 2016 Audi TT in Glacier White, lease return so it has some pits here and there and some road rash. I was told by a local shop here in SoCal that I'd not be able to find a proper match since CA's nanny laws don't allow actual lacquer but only VOC paint. He was even able to just wipe off the bad attempt at covering up some chips. That looked better to me ... and my current proposed solution is to just do a partial vinyl wrap of the areas affected . Mostly low to the ground where it's easy to get blasted by road grit. I figure the vinyl will be tougher over time and easy enough to replace when it gets too rashed. Have any of you run into this VOC situation in your States? It seems you can order actual EU (claimed to be German factory) Audi touch up paint from both Amazon and eBay, but it's still hard to tell if it's the real factory deal. Sorry if this is hihjacking the OP's paint color question but I feel it's related to any touch up situation. Any how glad to finally register for this forum....I have lots of questions.

Last edited by Huey52; 08-21-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the clarification. He was saying that CA does something in formula and that he has to get stuff from Nevada. But I wasn't in the market for a paint fix just gathering info and he kindly wiped off the non matching white touchup paint. Wasn't even close to Glacier White, (maybe Ibis White) and I immediately like it better. Are you saying he was probably using plain old alcohol? I couldn't find anything on the market to buy for the left over other blems around the TT. I plan a visit to a shop that does work for one of the Audi dealers in my area to see what my options are. I just ordered some vinyl wrap to at least test my idea of just wrapping the lower front lip. I'm trying black and/or gray Matte CF pattern stuff. I was able to find and apply the clear door edge vinyl...looks just like the stuff on display at the dealers. If I can figure out how to post pix (I'm new here but have membership on other forums) I'll do a before and after but it will take awhile to get to this project.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tonepad
Glacier white is notorious for having variations between cars. I have owned 2 glacier white cars and never found a touch up pen that matched.

I've seen, at the dealer, a glacier white A6 right next to a glacier white A4 and I thought they were different colors (both brand new). Point being there is variation in this paint from the factor.

For the longest time I thought my mothers A8 was Ibis, while my A6 was Glacier - I just could not see the metallic in hers at all and mine was more of that subtle blue tint. I was shocked to find out one day that hers was glacier as well when I looked up the color code in the trunk to verify before getting a touch up pen.

Nano appears to be the same, and as I understand it the metallic spec content of the paint can vary from batch to batch or between factories.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes my Glacier White shows very little metal flake in it. AND it's delicate...the chips are tiny but there are more than a few. I also notice the windshield glass has tiny pits in it as well. I'm going to see if that can be polished out. Again apologies to the OP ... I hope this doesn't seem like a hijack but we are talking the same basic issue but also the color variations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nano Grey Metallic Touch Up Paint - Please help!