TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New 2019 TT Reiview

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shadeofnardogray
Only things the Steath RT was missing compared to the VR4/GTO, IIRC, were the active aero and adaptive suspension. Car's a gem, thanks for keeping it alive.
It's only got 38k miles on it, and FYI... it does have the adaptive suspension, or it did, now it has an active coil-over from Tein.
Not bad for a 25 year old car, this November...

Sorry, off topic... back to the TTRS review.

Last edited by 95wildtt; 05-13-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a gorgeous specimen. Well done sir. I have the EDFC-A's on the MR2, contemplating it for the VR4 as well.
The post 1994.5 cars were a different story - those did have some more toys while the VR4 actually lost some. Downfall of the Japanese supercar and all. Mine wears the bloody-hard-to-find 1998 face, but is a 1991 car with the AWS unfortunately deleted due to some new "salt" they started using a few years back eating the hydraulic lines running down the chassis. Your car is rather rare - late model RT's are not easy to find even among the rest of the GTO family.

In regards to the TT's sales - Audi doesn't promote it. While i admittedly have all the pop culture acumen of a sea cucumber, the only thing i ever see them place in movies/tv is the R8 or in an effort to pour salt into the laceration which was endgame, the e-tron (vroom vroom anyone?).
All of the automotive publications are using the M2 as a benchmark of athleticism because "its engaging" and Audi is doing nothing to actively promote its vastly superior platform as engaging when used effectively - which it very much is (engagement is not measured by how fast your sphincter turns a lump of coal to diamond or whether you can touch your bumpers together around a stationary object).
Consider the new i5 setup - all the hallmarks of a race motor, but cammed and limited to 7k with a conservative boost/fuel and ignition map for its 10 injector dual fuel system on a turbo capable of 2 bar... If there was no R8, or if the R8 didn't have to "not outperform the Lambo/Bugatti/etc," then the TTRS could easily be bumped to a direct GTR/m3 competitor with some class in its swagger while the TTS 2.0 could be used to shame the Bavarians as they did for the 420 motor.
I need to find out for sure, but my sense is that this should already be right about at the M3 level on a fair track due to the chassis control toys, so not having that in their lineup will leave an entire market segment to the competition - not having an answer to a vette/gt3/m3/gtr seems like an amateur move for an established company. Would sort of make Audi "the upscale Volvo." R8 already feels like a mid-engine volvo...
Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vegas roadster — having just replaced my 2013 TTS containing Revo Stage 1 and MSS springs with a 2018 TTS loaded with all options sans fixed suspension, I hold a similar opinion on the missing “fun factor” of the MK 3. But on the other hand, this 2018 is upgraded and refined in every way. It is better for the long haul, deceptively fast, and almost ready for the 034 Stage 1 and lowering springs. Maybe by September...?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I come from an 09 miata with $10k in mods. The “engagement” factor is DIFFERENT, but not LESS IMHO. I daily drove the miata for 7 years, used ear plugs on longer trips, and miss the car. It was hardcore. As for the TT engagement, I was not engaged in stock form, but knew I’d do mods. I wonder reviewers opinions if they drove my car as currently set up : MSS Sport, rear sway, REMUS cat back, big brakes, lightweight wheels and a JB4. After CPO I’m keeping the little turbo but having UM do the ECU/TCU/Haldex tunes. It will be a whole new experience. I love my TT, it’s gorgeous, rare, comfy (6’1” 220lbs) infinitely moddable and very affordable. I may add another “more pure” RWD car in 5-7 years but I’m never selling this one.

Last edited by ourlee; 06-05-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice post Ourlee,
I, too, owned a Mk 1 Miata- a '92. I sold it almost 20 years later. It was a great car.
But, the TTS really spoiled me.
If I had my druthers, I would have kept my MK2 TTS instead of getting the MK3. Though I like the Audi Cockpit, and the increased horsepower, I still remember how much better the Bose sound system sounded, as well as the beautiful Magma Orange paint.
That B&O system really sucks, and my Silver paint job is just okay- though at least it doesn't show dirt.
Bob
Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I find the B&O in my TT RS to sound so much better than the Blose in my A7 but not as good as the B&O in the Q7.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ourlee
I come from an 09 miata with $10k in mods. The “engagement” factor is DIFFERENT, but not LESS IMHO. I daily drove the miata for 7 years, used ear plugs on longer trips, and miss the car. It was hardcore. As for the TT engagement, I was not engaged in stock form, but knew I’d do mods. I wonder reviewers opinions if they drove my car as currently set up : MSS Sport, rear sway, REMUS cat back, big brakes, lightweight wheels and a JB4. After CPO I’m keeping the little turbo but having UM do the ECU/TCU/Haldex tunes. It will be a whole new experience. I love my TT, it’s gorgeous, rare, comfy (6’1” 220lbs) infinitely moddable and very affordable. I may add another “more pure” RWD car in 5-7 years but I’m never selling this one.
I’m just a couple of weeks into my ‘16 TTS and I’m coming from a ‘13 Miata Club that was stock other than a RoadsterSport Super Q exhaust. I miss the open air but Audi made U.S. buyers choose between a base roadster or performance coupe. I’m getting the hang of it but as you know driving a car that was so low to the ground makes the TTS feel like a SUV. Not tail happy like the Miata but the TTS can handle pretty good.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you and I are the only TT owners who think the TT is GIGANTIC.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Compared to the Miata it is GIGANTIC, especially in width.

There are days I miss my lineage of sporty Mazda's, but then I drive the TT and all's well.

Originally Posted by ourlee
I think you and I are the only TT owners who think the TT is GIGANTIC.