TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Not enough junk in the trunk?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough junk in the trunk?

Former '08 TT roadster owner, test drove a '16 today. Loved the internal and external updates, but man, the trunk sure seemed much smaller than the M2 trunk, no way my wife and I could have taken a week long road trip. Was it just me or do others feel the same way?

JW
Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We have a '18 Roadster and you're right there's not much room in the trunk. And nothing behind the seats but we've done several 3-4 day trips with no problem. Depends on how many pairs of shoes they take...
Old 05-02-2019, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just seemed like much less then in the MK2 we had before. We take at least one week long trip per year and probably more soon so just couldn’t see it working for the longer trips like the 2008 did.

Loking the B8.5 Cab so far.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts

Actually, the Mk 3 roadster has far better storage for long trips than the Mk 2 roadster. Storage for long trips is a critical feature for me since I take a lot of them every year in my TT. Anything from 600 mile round trip long weekends to the beach to 2000 mile 1.5 week excursions to TT West. I'm been searching for the right color combo used Mk 3 to replace my Mk 2 and I've had them next to each other to compare trunks and make sure my boogie board fits in the Mk 3 trunk. To the naked eye they are identical. Officially, the Mk 2 trunk is 8.8 cubic feet and the Mk 3 is slightly less at 7.5 cubic feet. Taking a ruler to the trunk, the Mk 2 trunk is about 1" larger in height than the Mk 3. HOWEVER.....half the space in my Mk 2 roadster trunk is taken up by my compact spare which will not be needed in the Mk 3 because there is a compact spare under the trunk floor. Long trips in any car in the rural southwest without a spare is asking for trouble because you are often 50 miles from the nearest service (not just gas) station, assuming they are open to fix a flat if it is even fixable. If it is not fixable, you are often 100 miles from a tire store, if they are open and have your size.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mk3 is much shorter vertically, doubt that even small suitcase would slide into it. I didn’t take luggage with me to check, but it appeared to be significantly shorter.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts

I don't use suitcases, I use duffels so they can compress a bit to slide into the space. As I said, I took a ruler to measure the vertical and it was about 1" shorter than the Mk 2.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're not married to a middle aged fashion forward woman! :-). We considered the move to duffels (I usually use one anyway) but ruled it out as things will end up crazy wrinkled according to my wife. We to on 3-4 day trips frequently, a 7-10 day one each year and in coming years will do more 10-14 days trips. Might have been doable with the "extra" space in the Mk2 but that 1" really does make a difference. I doubt that a regular set of golf clubs would fit either (not talking tour bag, just a regular carry bag).

Once the youngest kid is outta the house, maybe we pick up an older Mk3 as more of a "fun car" for shorter stuff and around town use. Right now our place is like a car lot already with the full sized truck, wife's A5 coupe and my A5 Cabrio!

Thanks for the info, I didn't think to measure.

JW

Search this Thread