Oil mistake - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Oil mistake

Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oil mistake

I changed my oil 1 week ago and replaced it with Mobile 1 0W-40. Today i went to check and saw I had to add 1/2 quart more. I put in 1/2 quart of Mobile 1 0W-20 by mistake. Will I have a problem??
Old 04-08-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kevin880 View Post
I changed my oil 1 week ago and replaced it with Mobile 1 0W-40. Today i went to check and saw I had to add 1/2 quart more. I put in 1/2 quart of Mobile 1 0W-20 by mistake. Will I have a problem??
I doubt it. Unless you are pushing the engine to its' limits, I can't see it making a difference. That 1/2 quart will just make it a tad lighter.
Bob
Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kevin880 View Post
1/2 qt isn't going to make any difference. You're fine, just remember to put in the correct stuff next time and fill it appropriately. BTW, this would only matter if you were constantly red-lining and stressing the engine severely...which I doubt anyone here really is.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

btw: thanks Kevin for the indirect reminder to check my oil level. I was down about a half quart in the ~1,700 miles since my last change. Of course turbo's typically consume some oil so again good to regularly check same.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52 View Post
btw: thanks Kevin for the indirect reminder to check my oil level. I was down about a half quart in the ~1,700 miles since my last change. Of course turbo's typically consume some oil so again good to regularly check same.
Ooooh, me too. I had to put in half a litre as well. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

quick question, is there any sort of electronic indicator for oil levels or do I have to check the traditional dipstick method? is there even a dipstick included?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default for the USA:

Originally Posted by Bknewtype View Post
quick question, is there any sort of electronic indicator for oil levels or do I have to check the traditional dipstick method? is there even a dipstick included?

No dipstick, oil level is continually checked when the car is running and result is displayed in MMI system.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
No dipstick, oil level is continually checked when the car is running and result is displayed in MMI system.
thanks. Do u know where on the mmi it shows it.? I havnt found it
Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know the answer to that. Someone will have to chime in that has the latest model...
Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is an OEM dipstick in the TT/TTRS (was not however on my prior 2.0T A5 and allroad, rather just a plug; had to procure one aftermarket).

There is no MMI indication of oil level (as there was in my A5 and allroad). I had to be forum-educated on this one myself.

I guess Audi figures its sports cars are more enthusiast hands-on then their other vehicles.

Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post

Search this Thread