TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Paint protection film - 3m vs. Suntek?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint protection film - 3m vs. Suntek?

3m vs. Suntek?

What would you pick for your Audi TT?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That's easy. Suntek, by a huge margin. Far better film. Xpel is the only other PPF to consider but I prefer the Suntek for clarity with the underlying paint (no orange peel/distortion/etc). Often less expensive than Xpel too, because it's easier to apply. Just make sure to have paint correction done before application of either choice.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Most detailers say Xpel and Suntek are the best

Originally Posted by cooleddie
3m vs. Suntek?

What would you pick for your Audi TT?
I have a full front XPel on my TT and a bikini front on my wife's Mercedes. The installs are several years old now and I'm still pleased.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Xpel Ultimate...Installer Too!

Our white TT has full-front done with Xpel Ultimate. It's our second car with it. When I did the first car a few years ago, Xpel Ultimate and a product called Avery Nano Fusion (which soon became unavailable) were considered the top products by a substantial margin. The 3M product was notorious for orange peel.

I understand, as ORMANDJ indicated, that Suntek's latest product is competitive with Xpel. And as ORMANDJ said, preparation is essential. Both of my cars where done by top Xpel-qualified installers. Using such an installer (and paying for the skill and experience) is a 'majorly' important consideration!

You don't indicate in your signature where you're located but if you happen to be in the Atlanta area, I can recommend the installer.

Our experience is similar to what Vegas-roadster (who happens to be in, well, Las Vegas!) said. The Xpel appears to have done its function well. At 13,000 miles on the TT, there is no evidence of chips or anything untoward.

Cheers.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they both essentially do the same thing, but xpel is almost 2x the price of suntek. key difference is:

xpel is more cloudy, while suntek is more glossy

preparation is key, so as long as the installer is good with prep work and technique, both can look amazing/invisible

I am on my 2nd car with suntek ppf. no regrets. I paid 1100 for a full front clip including mirrors. xpel was around 700 for just front bumper
Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with xpel did full front hood and side mirrors. looks great, it's all about the installer. I have about 15k on it so far.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will be getting our TTRS back from the detailers tomorrow after dropping off for three weeks as we were out of the country. Will show pictures of the film, we went with Xpel over 80% of the car.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by Iguana1500
Will be getting our TTRS back from the detailers tomorrow after dropping off for three weeks as we were out of the country. Will show pictures of the film, we went with Xpel over 80% of the car.
Are you going to bubble wrap it too ? How much did that cost?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

I prefer Suntek on large body panels. You can't even tell it is there unless you find a seam. Xpel has some orange peel to it.

Xpel is supposed to be a tad bit tougher and would be better suited for lower parts of the car that get hit by stones. Rear fender near tires, rocker panels etc. On the hood, roof, doors, and trunk I would get Suntek.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had Suntek on 3 cars now and have been very pleased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint protection film - 3m vs. Suntek?