TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Paint protection film - 3m vs. Suntek?

Old 08-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Suntek on one of my vehicles and just had my TT wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. I had the 3M product on my GTI (wrapped at the point of sale by the dealership $800CAD) and it lasted about 6months before looking like rubbish so I took it to one of the better shops in my area to have the 3M removed and the car wrapped in Suntek($2800CAD Full front mirrors door jambs door cups fuel door hatch sill). I went with the Xpel on my TT as my detailer recommended it and the results are fantastic, a caveat to this is both cars were then coated in a ceramic/glass coating. The TT was Xpel wrapped and then coated in "Kamikaze Miyabi Coat +Overcoat" (~$3600CAD Done in my garage at home over 3days full front mirrors pillars roofline doorjambs hatch rockers taillights and doorhandles cups) while the GTI was done in the "AmmoNYC Reflex+Skin", I know we are talking about PPF and I found the two, Suntek&Xpel to be very similar in appearance while the glass coatings added the extra depth and reflection. Now in my experience thus far, the Suntek was a little cheaper than the Xpel but both look similar while the 3M became dull very quickly...I'll revisit this in a few months down the road but I think the glass coatings make a big difference but either way I personally will avoid the 3M.

Last edited by Cale262; 08-15-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

How much are folks paying for their Suntek installs? I had one quote ~$2600 for hood, fenders, mirrors, front and rear bumper, and lower rocker panels. This is obviously full wrap-around so no seams at edges of panels, and includes full paint correction. This is for a 2018 TT RS.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ormandj
How much are folks paying for their Suntek installs? I had one quote ~$2600 for hood, fenders, mirrors, front and rear bumper, and lower rocker panels. This is obviously full wrap-around so no seams at edges of panels, and includes full paint correction. This is for a 2018 TT RS.
For full wrap on all of the car I was quoted $3500. I'll probably go that route because it makes washing and drying so much easier. You don't have to be as careful when drying to prevent swirls. The clear wrap doesn't get scratched from towel drying. Saves time and takes the stress out of washing the car. Also general benefit of paint protection from debris.

I'm picky and hate seeing swirl marks when my cars are in direct sun shine, but don't really want to put in the required time to dry a car properly to prevent it.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ormandj
I paid $1900 for what you have minus the rear bumper but went up the rear fender about halfway up and the A-pillars. Make sure they're using the Suntek Ultra.

Last edited by Audphile; 08-16-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PKT
For full wrap on all of the car I was quoted $3500. I'll probably go that route because it makes washing and drying so much easier. You don't have to be as careful when drying to prevent swirls. The clear wrap doesn't get scratched from towel drying. Saves time and takes the stress out of washing the car. Also general benefit of paint protection from debris.

I'm picky and hate seeing swirl marks when my cars are in direct sun shine, but don't really want to put in the required time to dry a car properly to prevent it.
That sounds right, including doorjambs and hatch wells.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PKT
I prefer Suntek on large body panels. You can't even tell it is there unless you find a seam. Xpel has some orange peel to it.

Xpel is supposed to be a tad bit tougher and would be better suited for lower parts of the car that get hit by stones. Rear fender near tires, rocker panels etc. On the hood, roof, doors, and trunk I would get Suntek.
Anybody have experience with Suntek installer in Massachusetts. I was planning on getting Xpel and know a good installer for that, but now interested in Suntek based on this thread
thanks
Ian