AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk3) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/)
-   -   Porsche Boxster review with comparisons to TT RS and a few other cars (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/porsche-boxster-review-comparisons-tt-rs-few-other-cars-2932929/)

Rapture 09-20-2017 03:24 PM

Porsche Boxster review with comparisons to TT RS and a few other cars

I found this pretty interesting. There is some pretty good detailed comparison info to the Boxster in this review and some good info on the TT RS. Some things you would not normally see.

2017 Porsche 718 Boxster | In-Depth Model Review | Car and Driver

Akenmaat 09-20-2017 04:56 PM

Some of the graphs are definitely pretty interesting. The acceleration one in particular, for the TT RS. I'd already found the Corvette numbers since I was trying to use it as a comparison point, assuming that with 460hp it would be faster than the TT RS. I was pretty shocked that it was significantly slower and slightly heavier.

That said, there are some other graphs that just look... off. Like the Corvette's 11.7s 50-70mph. That can't possibly be true. I think my 71 Super Beetle is faster than that. And then there's the cornering and braking numbers for the TT RS. I've personally pulled over 0.9g on a WET road (according to the meter in the car).

Rapture 09-20-2017 05:06 PM

When they do the 50-70 in a manual transmission car they leave it in top gear, no downshift so that skews that number pretty badly.

Oldfart01 09-20-2017 06:49 PM

I was just going to say what Rapture had said. A manual with a tall top gear for high mileage cruising will get destroyed in that test. I n ever understood why they do that. It's like doing a 0-60 test but you have to start in fourth gear.

curvehound 09-20-2017 08:10 PM

I was surprised the braking was so much worse with TTRS compared to the others. Has that been seen with any of the other tests?

Akenmaat 09-20-2017 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rapture (Post 25040403)
When they do the 50-70 in a manual transmission car they leave it in top gear, no downshift so that skews that number pretty badly.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying that the TT RS would have been allowed to downshift because it's "automatic", but the Corvette wouldn't because it's manual? Otherwise I can't see the TT RS in 7th gear doing anywhere near that much better than the Corvette in its top gear.

I mean, they can't really be testing the TT RS in, say, 4th gear against the Corvette in 7th, right?

Oldfart01 09-21-2017 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Akenmaat (Post 25040506)
I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying that the TT RS would have been allowed to downshift because it's "automatic", but the Corvette wouldn't because it's manual? Otherwise I can't see the TT RS in 7th gear doing anywhere near that much better than the Corvette in its top gear.

I mean, they can't really be testing the TT RS in, say, 4th gear against the Corvette in 7th, right?

Yes, this.